Proving Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that asks to prove that for a triangle with altitudes h_a, h_b, and h_c, the inequality \frac{1}{h_a} < \frac{1}{h_b} + \frac{1}{h_c} holds true. The possible hint given was to use the area of the triangle, and the conversation concludes with the original poster stating they solved the problem using this method.
nolachrymose
Altitude Sum Proof

Hi all,

I have this problem that I have no idea where to start. It asks to prove for a triangle with altitudes h_a, h_b, and h_c, that

[tex]\frac{1}{h_a} < \frac{1}{h_b} + \frac{1}{h_c}[/tex]

Any idea how to begin this proof? I've tried all sorts of algebra, and utitlizing the Triangle Inequality, but I can't seem to reach this conclusion. Any help is greatly appreciated -- thank you! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nolachrymose said:
Hi all,

I have this problem that I have no idea where to start. It asks to prove for a triangle with altitudes h_a, h_b, and h_c, that

[tex]\frac{1}{h_a} < \frac{1}{h_b} + \frac{1}{h_c}[/tex]

Any idea how to begin this proof? I've tried all sorts of algebra, and utitlizing the Triangle Inequality, but I can't seem to reach this conclusion. Any help is greatly appreciated -- thank you! :)

What do you mean by altitudes [tex]h_a h_b[/tex] and [tex]h_c[/tex]?

The Bob (2004 ©)

possible hint: "area"

I'll upgrade that into a probable hint :wink:

arildno said:
I'll upgrade that into a probable hint :wink:

So the h_a, h_b and h_c are all angles?

The Bob (2004 ©)

No, they are heights:
Let A be the area.
Then a=A/h_a, b=A/h_b,c=A/h_c
Using the triangle inequality for a,b,c yields the proposition.

Sorry I didn't post sooner -- I figured it out on my own a little after I had posted, but didn't have time to post my solution. I used the method Arildno suggested.
Thank you for your input, though! :)

Related to Proving Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle

1. What is the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle?

The Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle states that the sum of the lengths of any two altitudes of a triangle is always greater than the length of the third altitude.

2. Why is it important to prove the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle?

Proving the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle is important because it helps establish a fundamental property of triangles, which is essential for solving more complex geometric problems.

3. How can the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle be proven?

The Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle can be proven using the Pythagorean Theorem and the Triangle Inequality Theorem.

4. Can the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle be used to determine the length of an altitude?

Yes, the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle can be used to determine the length of an altitude by using the lengths of the other two altitudes and applying the inequality.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle?

No, the Altitude Sum Inequality in a Triangle holds true for all triangles regardless of their size or shape.