Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trigonometry Proving a trigonometric equation

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013
I want to prove this equation:
[tex] \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5}\right)+\cos\left( \frac{4\pi}{5}\right)+\cos\left( \frac{6\pi}{5}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{8\pi}{5} \right) = -1 [/tex].

I've no idea how to begin. I think it may be related to complex numerd but I don't know how to combine them.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: trigonometry equation

You may want to consider the following sum-to-product identity:

$\displaystyle \cos(\alpha)+\cos(\beta)=2\cos\left(\frac{\alpha+ \beta}{2} \right)\cos\left(\frac{\alpha-\beta}{2} \right)$

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

Also note that $\cos(2\pi/5)=\cos(8\pi/5)$ and $\cos(4\pi/5)=\cos(6\pi/5)$.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Also note that $\cos(2\pi/5)=\cos(8\pi/5)$ and $\cos(4\pi/5)=\cos(6\pi/5)$.
Yes, this comes from the identity:

$\displaystyle \cos(2\pi-\theta)=\cos(\theta)$

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013

I got [tex] 4\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{\pi}{5}) [/tex]. I wanted to make it easier by using the following equation: [tex] 2\cos^{2}(x)-1 = \cos(2x) [/tex].
Now I have [tex] 16t^{3}-10t^{2}+4t+1=0 [/tex], t means [tex] \cos(\frac{\pi}{5}) [/tex]. I don't know whether it's ok and how to solve it.

EDIT: OK, I've just spotted your answers, I'll try to make use of them. :)

Last edited:

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013

I got [tex] 4\cos(\frac{4\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5}) = -1 [/tex]. What shall I do with it?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

You should find:

$\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)=\frac{1}{4}$

Now, to find the value of $\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)$, we may employ a Chebyshev polynomial where if $\displaystyle x=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)$ we then have:

$\displaystyle 16x^5-20x^3+5x+1=0$

Using the rational roots theorem and division to factor, we may write:

$\displaystyle (x+1)(4x^2-2x-1)^2=0$

Given we must have $\displaystyle 0<x<1$ (we have a first quadrant angle) use the quadratic formula to find the appropriate root.

Next, use a double-angle identity for cosine to find $\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right)$. You should then be able to show:

$\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)=\frac{1}{4}$

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013

Are you sure it's [tex] \frac{1}{4} [/tex]? I think there should be [tex] - \frac{1}{4} [/tex]. So [tex] -1< x<0 [/tex]. I got two more roots [tex] x = \frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{4} [/tex] and [tex] x = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{4} [/tex].

How did you get [tex] 4\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{\pi}{5}) [/tex]? I got [tex] 4\cos(\frac{4\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5}) [/tex]...

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012

I want to prove this equation:
[tex] \cos(\frac{2\pi}{5})+\cos( \frac{4\pi}{5})+\cos( \frac{6\pi}{5})+\cos(\frac{8\pi}{5}) = -1 [/tex].

I've no idea how to begin. I think it may be related to complex numbers but I don't know how to combine them.
One way to do this using complex numbers is to notice that the numbers $e^{2k\pi i/5}\ (k=0,1,2,3,4)$ are the roots of the equation $z^5-1=0.$ The sum of the roots of that equation is $0$ (because the coefficient of $z^4$ in the equation is $0$). So $1+e^{2\pi i/5}+e^{4\pi i/5}+e^{6\pi i/5}+e^{8\pi i/5} = 0$. Take the real part of that, to get the result you want.

As a bonus, you could take the imaginary part of that last equation and get the fact that $\sin\bigl(\tfrac{2\pi}{5}\bigr)+\sin\bigl( \tfrac{4\pi}{5}\bigr)+\sin\bigl( \tfrac{6\pi}{5}\bigr)+\sin\bigl(\tfrac{8\pi}{5} \bigr) = 0.$

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013

So $1+e^{2\pi i/5}+e^{4\pi i/5}+e^{6\pi i/5}+e^{8\pi i/5} = 0$. Take the real part of that, to get the result you want.
How to take the real part of it?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

Another way. Denoting:

$A=\cos \dfrac{2\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{4\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{6\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{8\pi}{5}$
$B=\sin \dfrac{2\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{4\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{6\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{8\pi}{5}$

we get a geometric progression:

$A+iB=e^{\frac{2\pi}{5}i}+e^{\frac{4\pi}{5}i}+
e^{\frac{6\pi}{5}i}+e^{\frac{8\pi}{5}i}$
$=\dfrac{e^{\frac{2\pi}{5}i}\left(e^{\frac{8\pi}{5}i}-1\right)}{e^{\frac{2\pi}{5}i}-1}$
$=\dfrac{e^{\frac{2\pi}{5}i}e^{\frac{4\pi}{5}i}}{e^{\frac{\pi}{5}i}}\;\dfrac{e^{\frac{4\pi}{5}i}-e^{\frac{-4\pi}{5}i}}{e^{\frac{\pi}{5}i}-e^{\frac{-\pi}{5}i}}$
$=e^{\pi i}\dfrac{\sin \frac{4\pi}{5}}{\sin \frac{\pi}{5}}$
$=-\dfrac{\sin\left(\pi-\frac{\pi}{5}\right)}{\sin \frac{\pi}{5}}$
$=-1$

So,

$\cos \dfrac{2\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{4\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{6\pi}{5}+\cos \dfrac{8\pi}{5}=-1$
$\sin \dfrac{2\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{4\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{6\pi}{5}+\sin \dfrac{8\pi}{5}=0$

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012

let's take the scenic route (i love to look out the window and wave to the birds and trees and stuff....)!

let's start with some really simple algebra:

what is the average of $\dfrac{2\pi}{5}$ and $\dfrac{3\pi}{5}$?

um...well...lemme see...it's:

$$\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} + \frac{3\pi}{5}\right) = \frac{5\pi}{10} = \frac{\pi}{2}$$.

this tells us that:

$\displaystyle \sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{5}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{3\pi}{5}\right)$

(since $\frac{2\pi}{5}$ and $\frac{3\pi}{5}$ are the same distance away from $\frac{\pi}{2}$ and sine is symmetric about $\frac{\pi}{2}$, draw this on a circle, and you will see what i mean).

hopefully you know these two formulas (formulae? formuli? formu-la-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...oops, sorry):

$\sin(2x) = 2\sin(x)\cos(x)$
$\sin(3x) = 4\sin(x)\cos^2(x) - \sin(x)$

(i'll wait while you verify this. ok, time's up! stop!!!).

since these are equal when $x = \frac{\pi}{5}$, we have (using $y$ instead of $\frac{\pi}{5}$...why? why y? oh why o why?, well y naught? seriously, i kill myself):

$2\sin(y)\cos(y) = 4\sin(y)\cos^2(y) - \sin(y)$

and we have some serious cancellation going on, now (and not those frivolous cancellations you might find on "other" math sites). in particular $\sin(y) \neq 0$, so we can divide it out, leaving:

$2\cos(y) = 4\cos^2(y) - 1$

using a "$u$-substitution" (because i CAN. so there), of: $u = \cos(y)$, this becomes the friendly neighborhood quadratic:

$4u^2 - 2u - 1 = 0$. we can solve this (or at least i can, because i know the formu-....ok, we won't go there), to get:

$\displaystyle u = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{4}$

we want the positive solution, since $y$ is in the first quadrant. well, it's all downhill from here (so i'll just shut off the engine, and coast. wheeeee!).

since $\cos(2x) = 2\cos^2(x) - 1$, we have:

$\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5}\right) = 2\left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{4}\right)^2 - 1 = \frac{\sqrt{5} - 1}{4}$

similarly, since $4 = 2\cdot 2$ (i KNEW that would come in handy some day!):

$\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{5}\right) = 2\left(\frac{\sqrt{5} - 1}{4}\right)^2 - 1 = \frac{-\sqrt{5} - 1}{4}$

now since "others" (who aren't nearly as awesome as ME, so they shall remain nameless, in order to further promote my shameless self-promotion. i take cash, checks and all major credit cards) have pointed out that:

$\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5}\right) = \cos\left(\frac{8\pi}{5}\right);\ \cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{5}\right) = \cos\left(\frac{6\pi}{5}\right)$

when we add these four bad boys up (bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do...whatcha gonna do when dey come for you....am i easily distracted? yes? no? maybe??) we get:

$\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{5} -1}{4} + \frac{-\sqrt{5} -1}{4} + \frac{\sqrt{5} - 1}{4} + \frac{-\sqrt{5} - 1}{4} = -1$

TA DA!!!!

(this message brought to you by starbucksTM coffee. remember to drink responsibly).

(posthumous credit given to evgeny.makarov and MarkFL on advice of counsel).

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Are you sure it's [tex] \frac{1}{4} [/tex]? I think there should be [tex] - \frac{1}{4} [/tex]. So [tex] -1< x<0 [/tex]. I got two more roots [tex] x = \frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{4} [/tex] and [tex] x = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{4} [/tex].

How did you get [tex] 4\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{\pi}{5}) [/tex]? I got [tex] 4\cos(\frac{4\pi}{5})\cos(\frac{2\pi}{5}) [/tex]...
I grouped the first and last terms and the two middle terms on the left to get:

$\displaystyle \left(\cos\left(\frac{8\pi}{5} \right)+\cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right) \right)+\left(\cos\left(\frac{6\pi}{5} \right)+\cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{5} \right) \right)=-1$

Now, using the sum-to-product identity I cited, we have:

$\displaystyle 2\cos(\pi)\cos\left(\frac{3\pi}{5} \right)+2\cos(\pi)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)=-1$

$\displaystyle 2\cos(\pi)\left(\cos\left(\frac{3\pi}{5} \right)+\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right) \right)=-1$

Now, using $\displaystyle cos(\pi)=-1$ and the sum-to-product identity again, we have:

$\displaystyle -2\left(2\cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right) \right)=-1$

$\displaystyle -4\cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{5} \right)\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{5} \right)=-1$

Lisa91

Jan 15, 2013

Thank you so much. Seems like I made a mistake while calculating.