Cars: Weight Transfer & Body Roll

In summary, weight transfer of a car during braking can be determined by the acceleration, height of the car's center of gravity, length of the car's wheelbase, and weight of the entire car. Changing the spring rates can also affect the amount of body roll due to the inertia of the car's center of gravity. However, the formula does not directly mention spring rates, so it can be assumed that the same amount of weight is transferred from the rear wheels to the front wheels regardless of the spring rate. This may be hard to picture, but it depends on how the suspension is set up. A 4-link suspension with coil springs will behave differently than a leaf spring, for example. Additionally, there are computer programs available for sim
Reed
As I've learned from the "Physics of Racing" series by Brian Beckman, weight transfer of a car during braking can be determined by the acceleration, height of the car's center of gravity, length of the car's wheelbase, and weight of the entire car.

Now I realize that changing the spring rates will change the amount of body roll due to the intertia of the car's center of gravity. But the formula mentions nothing of spring rates, so I assume no matter what the spring rate, the same amount of weight is transferred from the rear wheels to the front wheels; and that's hard to picture.

Any ideas on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
the higher the spring rate, the more force is required to make the body travel relative to the wheels. so for a given force, the body will travel less relative to the wheels if the spring rate is higher. the more the body travels, the greater the weight transfer, so i don't see how spring rate cannot affect the weight transfer under acceleration/deceleration.

I had stumbled onto an interesting link sometime back. It had a lot of demo software to perform various calculations and I thought for what it is worth I'd provide a link for anyone intersted to vist. Here is a snip;

"Computer Program to Simulate and Analyze Rear Suspension 4-Link Setups for Instant Center, Pinion Angle and Driveshaft Angle Change, Anti-Squat %, and More for Drag Racing"

Here is a link to their download section;
http://www.performancetrends.com/download.htm

Originally posted by Fuego
the higher the spring rate, the more force is required to make the body travel relative to the wheels. so for a given force, the body will travel less relative to the wheels if the spring rate is higher. the more the body travels, the greater the weight transfer, so i don't see how spring rate cannot affect the weight transfer under acceleration/deceleration.

Kind of depends on how the suspension is set up. A 4-link suspension with coil springs will behave diferently than a leaf spring for example.

What is weight transfer in cars?

Weight transfer in cars refers to the redistribution of weight between the front and rear wheels during acceleration, braking, and turning. When a car accelerates, the weight of the vehicle shifts towards the rear wheels, while during braking it shifts towards the front wheels. This transfer of weight affects the handling and stability of the car.

How does weight transfer affect a car's handling?

Weight transfer can greatly impact a car's handling. When weight transfers to the front wheels during braking, it increases the grip and traction of those wheels, allowing for better braking performance. However, when weight transfers to the rear wheels during acceleration, it can cause them to lose traction and lead to oversteer. Weight transfer can also affect a car's body roll and stability during turns.

What is body roll in cars?

Body roll in cars refers to the tilting or leaning motion of a vehicle's body when cornering, accelerating, or braking. This is caused by the transfer of weight to one side of the car, which causes the suspension on that side to compress and the other side to extend. Body roll can affect the handling and stability of a car, and excessive body roll can be a sign of a poorly designed suspension system.

How can weight transfer and body roll be reduced?

Weight transfer and body roll can be reduced through various methods, such as installing stiffer suspension components, adding anti-roll bars, and adjusting the car's weight distribution. Aerodynamic aids, such as spoilers and wings, can also help reduce body roll by providing downforce and increasing grip on the tires.

How does weight distribution affect weight transfer and body roll?

The distribution of weight in a car can greatly affect weight transfer and body roll. A car with a higher proportion of weight towards the front will experience more weight transfer and body roll during braking, while a car with more weight towards the rear will experience more during acceleration. A balanced weight distribution can help minimize the effects of weight transfer and body roll on a car's handling and stability.