Proving a Fraction Inequality of Sin and Cos | $\pi/2$

In summary, to prove a fraction inequality of sin and cos, you must use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation, remembering to switch the direction of the inequality when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. A calculator cannot be used for the proof, but can be used to check the answer. Tips for making the proof easier include rewriting the fractions using double angle formulas and paying attention to the direction of the inequality. Real-life applications of proving fraction inequalities of sin and cos include stability analysis, force calculations, and optimal angle determination in fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
If $x_1,x_2,...,x_{10} \in [0;\frac{\pi}{2}]$ and $\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin^2x_i = 1.$

- then prove, that:

\[ \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos x_i}{\sum_{j=1}^{10}\sin x_j} \ge 3\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
If $x_1,x_2,...,x_{10} \in [0;\frac{\pi}{2}]$ and $\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin^2x_i = 1.$

- then prove, that:

\[ \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos x_i}{\sum_{j=1}^{10}\sin x_j} \ge 3\]
my solution:
let $p=\sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos x_i=(cos\,{x_1}+----+\cos\,{x_{10}})$

$q=\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin x_i=(sin\,{x_1}+----+\sin\,{x_{10}})$
so $1\leq q^2\leq 3 ---(1) $ from $---(2)$
for $x_1,x_2,...,x_{10} \in [0;\frac{\pi}{2}]$ and $\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin^2x_i = 1.---(2)$
we have :$p\geq \sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos^2x_i = 9.$
so $ \dfrac {p}{q}\geq \dfrac{9}{q^2}---(3)$
from (1)(2)(3) we have :$\dfrac {p}{q}\geq 3$

Last edited:
Albert said:
my solution:
let $p=\sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos x_i=(cos\,{x_1}+----+\cos\,{x_{10}})$

$q=\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin x_i=(sin\,{x_1}+----+\sin\,{x_{10}})$
so $1\leq q^2\leq 3 ---(1) $ from $---(2)$
for $x_1,x_2,...,x_{10} \in [0;\frac{\pi}{2}]$ and $\sum_{i=1}^{10}\sin^2x_i = 1.---(2)$
we have :$p\geq \sum_{i=1}^{10}\cos^2x_i = 9.$
so $ \dfrac {p}{q}\geq \dfrac{9}{q^2}---(3)$
from (1)(2)(3) we have :$\dfrac {p}{q}\geq 3$

Very well done, Albert! Thankyou for your nice solution!

Attachments

• Trig inequality.PNG
    Trig inequality.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 45

Related to Proving a Fraction Inequality of Sin and Cos | $\pi/2$

1. How can I prove a fraction inequality of sin and cos?

In order to prove a fraction inequality of sin and cos, you will need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. First, rewrite the fractions using the double angle formulas for sin and cos. Then, use algebraic properties to manipulate the inequality until you reach a true statement.

2. What is the most common mistake when proving a fraction inequality of sin and cos?

The most common mistake when proving a fraction inequality of sin and cos is forgetting to switch the direction of the inequality when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. This is because multiplying or dividing by a negative number changes the direction of the inequality.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove a fraction inequality of sin and cos?

No, a calculator cannot be used to prove a fraction inequality of sin and cos. The proof must be done using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. However, a calculator can be used to check your answer after completing the proof.

4. Are there any tips for making the proof of a fraction inequality of sin and cos easier?

One tip is to always start by rewriting the fractions using the double angle formulas for sin and cos. This will allow you to work with simpler expressions and make the proof easier. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the direction of the inequality when manipulating the expressions.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving fraction inequalities of sin and cos?

Proving fraction inequalities of sin and cos has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry. For example, it can be used to analyze the stability of structures, calculate forces acting on objects, and determine optimal angles for various applications.