Proving a force is conservative (via path integrals)

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the conservatism of a force function by showing that the integral is independent of the path of integration. The two paths used are x=y and the x-axis to (1,0) and then the line x=1 to (1,1). The correct way to calculate the integral is also shown.
cyberdeathreaper
It's always the easy questions that get me stuck...

For some reason, I'm having a mental block on how to answer this one:

Consider the force function:
F = ix + jy
Verify that it is conservative by showing that the integral,
[tex] \int F \cdot dr [/tex]
is independent of the path of integration by taking two paths in which the starting point is the origin (0,0), and the endpoint is (1,1). For one path take the line x = y. For the other path take the x-axis out to the point (1,0) and then the line x = 1 up to the point (1,1).

Now I've already verified that it is conserved by taking the curl of F, but I can't seem to come to a similar conclusion using the path integrals. Can someone help me out with this one? At the very least, if I could see the integrals themselves for each path, perhaps I could figure out where I've made my mistake. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cyberdeathreaper said:
It's always the easy questions that get me stuck...

For some reason, I'm having a mental block on how to answer this one:

Consider the force function:
F = ix + jy
Verify that it is conservative by showing that the integral,
[tex] \int F \cdot dr [/tex]
is independent of the path of integration by taking two paths in which the starting point is the origin (0,0), and the endpoint is (1,1). For one path take the line x = y. For the other path take the x-axis out to the point (1,0) and then the line x = 1 up to the point (1,1).

Do not forget that the work is the integral of the scalar product of force and displacement .

[tex] W = \int_{(0,0)}^{(1,1)} \vec F \cdot \vec dr = \int (F_xdx+F_ydy)=\int_{(0,0)}^{(1,1)}(xdx+ydy)[/tex]

For the first path, y = x and dy = dx.
[tex] W= \int _0^1{2xdx}=1[/tex]

To calculate the work along the second path, we integrate along the x-axis first, than along the vertical line at x=1.

[tex]\int_{(0,0)}^{(1,1)}(xdx+ydy)=\int_{(0,0)}^{(1,1)}xdx +\int_{(0,0)}^{(1,1)}ydy=0.5*[x^2]_0^1+0.5*[y^2]_0^1=1[/tex]

ehild

Likes duarthiago
Thank's so much... I see what I was doing wrong now.

Specifically, instead of
[tex] \int (F_xdx+F_ydy) [/tex]
I had been using
[tex] \int ((F_x + F_y) dx dy) [/tex]

Thanks again. :smile:

Related to Proving a force is conservative (via path integrals)

1. How do you determine if a force is conservative?

The first step in determining if a force is conservative is to calculate the work done by the force along a closed loop. If the work done is zero, then the force is conservative.

2. What is the significance of a conservative force?

A conservative force is one that depends only on the starting and ending points of a path, and not on the path itself. This allows for simpler calculations and also implies the existence of a potential energy function.

3. Can a force be both conservative and non-conservative?

No, a force cannot be both conservative and non-conservative. If a force is conservative, it means that it can be expressed as the gradient of a potential energy function. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, cannot be described by a potential energy function.

4. How do path integrals relate to conservative forces?

Path integrals, also known as line integrals, are used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path. For a conservative force, the path integral will only depend on the endpoints of the path and not on the path itself.

5. What is the formula for calculating work using path integrals?

The formula for calculating work using path integrals is W = ∫F · dr, where F is the force and dr is a small displacement along the path. For a conservative force, this can be simplified to W = ∆U, where U is the potential energy function.