Proving a cubic is surjective.

In summary, the function f(x)=x^3+2x^2-x+1 is not injective, but it is surjective. This can be shown using the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that a continuous function that takes on two different values at two different points must also take on every value in between those two points. Since f(x) is continuous and tends toward plus or minus infinity for large arguments, it covers all elements in its range, making it surjective.
pondzo

Homework Statement

$$f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}~~\text{where}~~f(x)=x^3+2x^2-x+1$$
Show if f is injective, surjective or bijective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f is obviously not injective (and thus not bijective), one counter example is x=-1 and x=1.

I can see from the graph of the function that f is surjective since each element of its range is covered.
But I am not sure how i can formally write it down. If i try this;

##\text{let}~y\in\mathbb{R}## and then try to find which ##x\in\mathbb{R}## maps to y then the algebra is going to get really messy and it would take a long while. Is there a faster and easier way of showing f is injective? Can i draw the function and show that all of the co-domain is covered, or is this not formal enough?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that stating that the function is continuous and tends toward plus or minus infinity for large arguments should be sufficient. You might need to put a little more math and logic into it, but that is the simple argument.

pondzo said:

Homework Statement

$$f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}~~\text{where}~~f(x)=x^3+2x^2-x+1$$
Show if f is injective, surjective or bijective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f is obviously not injective (and thus not bijective), one counter example is x=-1 and x=1.

I can see from the graph of the function that f is surjective since each element of its range is covered.
But I am not sure how i can formally write it down. If i try this;

##\text{let}~y\in\mathbb{R}## and then try to find which ##x\in\mathbb{R}## maps to y then the algebra is going to get really messy and it would take a long while. Is there a faster and easier way of showing f is injective? Can i draw the function and show that all of the co-domain is covered, or is this not formal enough?

Thank you for your time.

Use the Intermediate Value Theorem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_value_theorem

Related to Proving a cubic is surjective.

1. What is surjectivity in a cubic function?

Surjectivity in a cubic function means that every output value (y-value) has at least one corresponding input value (x-value), such that when the function is graphed, every point on the y-axis is hit by the graph.

2. How do you prove that a cubic function is surjective?

To prove that a cubic function is surjective, you must show that for every possible output value, there exists at least one input value that produces that output value. This can be done through algebraic manipulation or by graphing the function and visually showing that every point on the y-axis is hit by the graph.

3. What is the importance of proving a cubic is surjective?

Proving that a cubic function is surjective is important because it confirms that the function has a range that is equal to its co-domain. This means that the function can reach every possible output value, making it a useful and reliable tool in mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. Can a cubic function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a cubic function can be both surjective and injective. This means that every output value has a unique corresponding input value, and the function can reach every output value in its range. A cubic function with these qualities is also known as bijective.

5. How does the surjectivity of a cubic function relate to its inverse?

The surjectivity of a cubic function is crucial in determining the existence of its inverse. A surjective function has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and range, which allows for the existence of an inverse function. If a cubic function is not surjective, it will not have a true inverse.