Prove $(xyz)^8=1$ for $x,y,z \in R$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think I'm communicating very well here. It's not that I object to the truthfulness of this challenge problem. I would agree that if $x+1/y=y+1/z=z+1/x$, and if $x\not=y$ and $y\not=z$ and $z\not=x$, then $(xyz)^{8}=1$. There's no need even to insist on $x,y,z\in \mathbb{R}$ - they could be complex. You proved this in post 5. So I'm not objecting to whether your challenge problem is correct or not. I object to the aesthetics of this challenge problem. In post 5, you proved something stronger than $(xyz
Albert1
$x,y,z \,\, \in R$

$x+\dfrac{1}{y}=y+\dfrac{1}{z}=z+\dfrac{1}{x}$

$prove :x^8y^8z^8=1$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Something doesn't look right. Consider $x = y= z = 2$. Then clearly

$x + \dfrac{1}{y} = y + \dfrac{1}{z} = z + \dfrac{1}{z} = 2 \dfrac{1}{2}$

yet $x^8y^8z^8 \ne 1$.

Jester said:
Something doesn't look right. Consider $x = y= z = 2$. Then clearly

$x + \dfrac{1}{y} = y + \dfrac{1}{z} = z + \dfrac{1}{z} = 2 \dfrac{1}{2}$

yet $x^8y^8z^8 \ne 1$.

if x=y=z then this problem doesn't make any sense.

of course here x=y=z will be excluded

And why does $x=y=z$ not make sense?

Albert said:
$x,y,z \,\, \in R$

$x+\dfrac{1}{y}=y+\dfrac{1}{z}=z+\dfrac{1}{x}$

$prove :x^8y^8z^8=1$

$x-y=\dfrac {1}{z}-\dfrac {1}{y}=\dfrac {y-z}{yz}$

$\therefore yz=\dfrac {y-z}{x-y} ,( here \,\, x\neq y)------(1)$

$\text {likewise :}$

$ xy=\dfrac {x-y}{z-x} ,( here \,\, z\neq x)------(2)$

$ zx=\dfrac {z-x}{y-z} ,( here \,\, y\neq z)------(3)$

$(1)\times (2)\times (3) :x^2y^2z^2=1$

$\therefore x^8y^8z^8=1$

Albert said:

$\therefore yz=\dfrac {y-z}{x-y} ,( here \,\, x\neq y)------(1)$

$\text {likewise :}$

$ xy=\dfrac {x-y}{z-x} ,( here \,\, z\neq x)------(2)$

$ zx=\dfrac {z-x}{y-z} ,( here \,\, y\neq z)------(3)$

$(1)\times (2)\times (3) :x^2y^2z^2=1$

$\therefore x^8y^8z^8=1$

$x^{8}y^{8}z^{8}=1$ seems a very odd conclusion for such a theorem. Normally, a conclusion like that would be for the purpose of illustrating why the equality doesn't work for a lower power, rather like why $x^{2}+y^{2}$ does not factor over the reals, but $x^{4}+y^{4}$ does.

Ackbach said:
$x^{8}y^{8}z^{8}=1$ seems a very odd conclusion for such a theorem. Normally, a conclusion like that would be for the purpose of illustrating why the equality doesn't work for a lower power, rather like why $x^{2}+y^{2}$ does not factor over the reals, but $x^{4}+y^{4}$ does.
$ \text{since} \,\, x,y,z\in R$

$x^2y^2z^2=1$$\text{implies}\,\,\, xyz= \pm 1$

$\therefore x^8y^8z^8=1$

I understand that
Albert said:
leads to

Albert said:
$\therefore yz=\dfrac {y-z}{x-y} $
only if $x \ne y$ but the first statement is still true if $x=y=z$ so $x=y=z$ makes sense, just not to give your result.

Jester said:
I understand that leads to only if $x \ne y$ but the first statement is still true if $x=y=z$ so $x=y=z$ makes sense, just not to give your result.

yes the original statement is true (like 2=2=2 ,or 3=3=3)

but the statement is otiose,and as you said will not give to my result

Albert said:
$ \text{since} \,\, x,y,z\in R$

$x^2y^2z^2=1$$\text{implies}\,\,\, xyz= \pm 1$

$\therefore x^8y^8z^8=1$

I understand that. My comment was intended to say that, as mathematical aesthetics go, since $x^{2}y^{2}z^{2}=1$ is a stronger conclusion than $x^{8}y^{8}z^{8}=1$, you would generally want to stop at the smaller power. What I'm saying is that I think the problem should be to prove $(xyz)^{2}=1$, not $(xyz)^{8}=1$.

Ackbach said:
I understand that. My comment was intended to say that, as mathematical aesthetics go, since $x^{2}y^{2}z^{2}=1$ is a stronger conclusion than $x^{8}y^{8}z^{8}=1$, you would generally want to stop at the smaller power. What I'm saying is that I think the problem should be to prove $(xyz)^{2}=1$, not $(xyz)^{8}=1$.
$ginen \,\, x,y,z \in R$

statement (1)
$if \,\, (xyz)^{2}=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1( k\in N)$

statement (2)
$if \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2}=1( k\in N)$

these two statements which one is true ?

Last edited:
Albert said:
$ginen \,\, x,y,z \in R$

statement (1)
$if \,\, (xyz)^{2}=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1( k\in N)$

statement (2)
$if \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2}=1( k\in N)$

thes two statements which one is true ?

In the real number system, they would be exactly equivalent. However, if you allow complex numbers into the picture, the first is true and the second is not. Counterexample: $(xyz)^{4}=1$ but $(xyz)^{2}=-1$.

Ackbach said:
In the real number system, they would be exactly equivalent.
if you allow complex numbers into the picture, the first is true
so as you said In the real number system, they would be exactly equivalent (statement

(1) and statement(2) )

$x,y,z \in R \,\, and \,\, k\in N$

$ if \,\, (xyz)^2=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1$ ,---- statement(1)

$\therefore if \,\, (xyz)^2=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^8=1$

(even we allow complex numbers into the picture, the first is true,but here we only take real

numbers into consideration)

now any objection ?

Last edited:
Albert said:
so as you said In the real number system, they would be exactly equivalent (statement

(1) and statement(2) )

$x,y,z \in R \,\, and \,\, k\in N$

$ if \,\, (xyz)^2=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^{2k}=1$ ,---- statement(1)

$\therefore if \,\, (xyz)^2=1 \,\, then \,\, (xyz)^8=1$

(even we allow complex numbers into the picture, the first is true,but here we only take real

numbers into consideration)

now any objection ?

I don't think I'm communicating very well here. It's not that I object to the truthfulness of this challenge problem. I would agree that if $x+1/y=y+1/z=z+1/x$, and if $x\not=y$ and $y\not=z$ and $z\not=x$, then $(xyz)^{8}=1$. There's no need even to insist on $x,y,z\in \mathbb{R}$ - they could be complex. You proved this in post 5. So I'm not objecting to whether your challenge problem is correct or not.

I object to the aesthetics of this challenge problem. In post 5, you proved something stronger than $(xyz)^{8}=1$, namely, $(xyz)^{2}=1$. Therefore, I would argue that posing the following challenge problem is more aesthetically pleasing:

Given that $x+1/y=y+1/z=z+1/x$, and $x\not=y, y\not=z, z\not=x$, prove that $(xyz)^{2}=1$.

So, to reiterate, what I'm saying here is like saying that one work of art is more beautiful than another. I'm not saying that either one of them fails to be a work of art!

Last edited:
Ackbach said:
Therefore, I would argue that posing the following challenge problem is more aesthetically pleasing:
Given that $x+1/y=y+1/z=z+1/x$, and $x\not=y, y\not=z, z\not=x$, prove that $(xyz)^{2}=1$.
So, to reiterate, what I'm saying here is like saying that one work of art is more beautiful than another. I'm not saying that either one of them fails to be a work of art!

Ok! taking aesthetics into consideration I agree with you the following work is more beautiful
it may sell better price in an auction market (besides it is easier for students at first glance)

Related to Prove $(xyz)^8=1$ for $x,y,z \in R$

What does the statement mean?

The statement is asking you to prove that raising the product of three real numbers, x, y, and z, to the eighth power will always result in 1.

Why do we need to prove this?

Proving this statement is important because it demonstrates a fundamental property of real numbers and their operations. It also allows us to understand and apply this property in more complex mathematical problems.

What is the first step in proving this statement?

The first step is to rewrite the statement in a more general form, such as $(abc)^n=1$, where n is any integer. This will allow us to use mathematical properties and operations that apply to all real numbers, rather than specific values of x, y, and z.

What mathematical concepts are involved in this proof?

This proof involves the concepts of exponents, real number operations, and properties of equality. It may also require the use of algebraic manipulation and the properties of the real number system, such as the distributive property and the power of a product rule.

Are there any exceptions to this statement?

Yes, there is one exception to this statement, which is when at least one of the values of x, y, and z is equal to 0. In this case, the product of the three numbers will also be 0, and raising 0 to any power will result in 0, not 1.