Prove Uniqueness of DE General Method

• Thread starter speeding electron
  • Start date
In summary, there is a general method whereby one can proove that a general solution one has obtained to a D.E. is unique, but the proof requires the contraction mapping theorem.
speeding electron
Is there a general method whereby one can proove that a general solution one has obtained to a D.E. is unique?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. A "general" solution is not unique; in fact it generates a whole family (typically infinitely many) of solutions.

Do you mean something like "Once I have a general solution, how can I be sure that every function that satisfies the DE is generated by my general solution?"

In generaly the thing you ask for is false, mutatis mutandis. There are sufficient and necessary conditions for for "uniqueness", try googling wolfram unique solution differential equation. One of them is called Lipschitz.

the basic technique for proving uniqueness of solutions, is the mean value theorem. it implies that if f is any function on an interval with f'=0 and f(0)= c then f is the constant function = c.

for example this proves that the solution f to an equation of form f' = g(x), and f(0) = c, must be unique when g is given.

i.e. then if f,h are two such solutions we get (f-h)' = 0 and (f-h)(0) = 0, so by MVT f-h is the zero function hence f = h.

this generalizes to show for example that the solution to f' = rf, f(0) = c is also unique, by transforming it into an equation of the previous kind, namely by showing that

if f satisifes f' = rf and f(0) = c, then f/e^rx is constant equal to f(0) = c, so f = ce^(rx).

this generalizes further to prove uniqueness of a whole class of "linear constant coefficient" differential equations such as (D^2-1)f =f'' - f = 0, and f(0) = a, f'(0) = b.

The idea is to factor the associated equation x^2 - 1 into (x-1)(x+1) hence factoring the differential operator in the equation into D^2 -1 = (D-1)(D+1)f = 0.

then we know the only solutions to (D+1)f = f' + f = 0, from the discussion above. these are some of the solutions of our equation since if (D+1)f = 0, then also (D-1)(D+1)f = 0. recall all solutions of (D+1)f = 0 have form ce^(-x).

looking at this factorization further we see that f solves (D-1)(D+1)f = 0 if and only if h = (D+1)f solves

(D-1)h = 0. since we know all solutions of (D-1)h=0 have form h = ce^(x), we are trying to find all solutions of (D+1)f = h = ce^(x).

since we know all solutions of (D+1)f = 0, if we can find even one solution of

(D+1)f = h = ce^(x), we can get all others by adding solutions of

(D+1)f = 0.

but (D+1)(ce^x) = ce^x + ce^x = 2ce^x. so f = c/2 e^x solves (D+1)f = ce^x.
hence all solutions of (D-1)(D+1)f = 0 have form ce^x + de^(-x).

this is another uniqueness theorem. and applies to any equation of form

(D^n + a D^(n-1) +...+ cD + d)f = 0.

Last edited:
Thank you mathwonk - very interesting

Sorry, but the proof of uniqueness of solutions of DEs is relies on the contraction mapping theorem. Or at least the proofs I know do, should I say.

Related to Prove Uniqueness of DE General Method

1. What is the general method for proving uniqueness of a differential equation?

The general method for proving uniqueness of a differential equation is to assume that there are two solutions to the equation, then use mathematical techniques to show that the two solutions must actually be the same.

2. Why is it important to prove uniqueness of a differential equation?

Proving uniqueness of a differential equation is important because it ensures that there is only one solution to the equation. This allows for more accurate predictions and analysis of the system being modeled by the equation.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove uniqueness of a differential equation?

Some common techniques used to prove uniqueness of a differential equation include the method of integrating factors, the method of substitution, and the method of Picard iteration.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one solution?

No, a differential equation can only have one solution. If it appears to have more than one solution, it is likely that the solutions are equivalent or can be reduced to one another through a mathematical transformation.

5. Are there any limitations to the general method of proving uniqueness of a differential equation?

The general method of proving uniqueness of a differential equation may not work for all types of equations. Some equations may require more complex techniques or may not have a unique solution. Additionally, the method may be limited by the assumptions made in the proof.