Physics of Santa's Snowy Adventure: Work-Energy & Momentum Analysis

• Thread starter bard
  • Start date
In summary, Chubby Santa (with a mass of 100kg) slides down a snowy roof for 9.0m, starting from rest, for fun. There is a frictional force of 135N between Santa and the roof. Upon reaching the end of the roof, Santa collides with an elf (with a mass of 50kg) who was sitting on the roof edge. They both fall 6 meters into the snow below.Using work-energy principles and conservation of momentum, we can evaluate the speed at which they hit the snow. During the collision, Santa and the elf exert equal and opposite forces on each other. This means that the force exerted by Santa on the elf is the same as the force exert
bard
Chubby Santa(mass 100kg) decides to have some fun and slides 9.0 m down a snowy roof)starting from rest. There is a 135 n fricitional force between santa and the roof. After sliding the 9.0 meters he collides with and clings to, an elf (mass 50kg) who was sitting on the roof edge. They both fall into the snow-6 meters below

A)Write a "physics story about this event"
B)Use work-energy principles and conservation of momentum when applicable to evaluate how fast they are moving when they hit the snow.

c)During the collision santa and the elf each exert a forces on each other. WHich, if either, exerts the larger force? explain

any help would be appreciated

image is here
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=display_picture&picture=bard-colleges&timenow=1071372956

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part c) "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Whatever force Santa exerts on the elf, the elf necessarily exerts on Santa.

ok i understand. What i don't understand is how to write a "physics story". I guess that i have to describe what's going on in the problem?

I'm afraid you'll have to ask your teacher what he/she means by a "physics story"!

Be careful of what you classify as 'your work' Bard.

'Your work' looks very familiar.

What is the "Help-Santa Claus Problem"?

The "Help-Santa Claus Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest path for Santa Claus to deliver presents to all the houses in a given neighborhood in one night.

Why is the "Help-Santa Claus Problem" important?

The "Help-Santa Claus Problem" is important because it is a practical application of the famous traveling salesman problem, which has real-life applications in logistics, transportation, and supply chain management.

What are the main challenges in solving the "Help-Santa Claus Problem"?

The main challenges in solving the "Help-Santa Claus Problem" include finding the most efficient route that minimizes the distance traveled by Santa Claus, taking into account the different locations of the houses and the limited time frame for delivery.

What are some strategies for solving the "Help-Santa Claus Problem"?

Some strategies for solving the "Help-Santa Claus Problem" include using mathematical algorithms and techniques such as dynamic programming, branch and bound, and heuristic approaches. Other strategies involve dividing the neighborhood into smaller regions and optimizing the delivery route for each region separately.

How can the "Help-Santa Claus Problem" be applied in real life?

The "Help-Santa Claus Problem" can be applied in real life in various industries, such as delivery services, transportation, and logistics, to optimize routes and minimize travel time and costs. It can also be used in urban planning and emergency response in determining the most efficient routes for emergency services.