Prove Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 Degrees

• Thread starter praharmitra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where AD is the angle bisector of angle BAC in a triangle ABC, with AB = CD. The question is to prove that angle BAC = 72 degrees. However, the participants realize that the given information is not enough to solve the problem and suggest constructing a triangle to determine if the information is sufficient. The conversation then continues to discuss a possible solution using a pentagram and the golden ratio. Later, it is revealed that an additional given of angle ABC = 2 x angle BCA was omitted and the participants are encouraged to try solving the problem again.
praharmitra
Hey guys,

This is NOT homework. I remember solving this question many years ago (at least 10 years ago). I am trying to recall the solution again and am just not able to. The question is -

In a triangle ABC, AD is the angle bisector of angle BAC. AB = CD. Prove that angle BAC = 72 degrees.

A diagram is attached.

NOTE - I am actually not even sure the question has enough information as given. I am just recalling from memory. If you think more information is required give an appropriate reason as to why you think that is true.

Usually, the way I see if the question has enough information is that I try to construct a triangle given the above properties. If I can construct a unique triangle, then of course the information is enough. Else not.

Anyway, give it a try.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpvei01hw1nr25l/2012-06-06%2000.39.06.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks like non-sense to me. Do this: draw a right triangle, ABC, with right angle at A. At vertex C, use a protractor with radius set at length AB to mark point D on BC. D will be between B and C because the length of a leg of right triangle is always less than the length of the hypotenuse. You now have exactly the situation shown in your picture but the angle is 90 degrees, not 72. Clearly that can be done taking any acute angle at A.

HallsofIvy said:
Looks like non-sense to me. Do this: draw a right triangle, ABC, with right angle at A. At vertex C, use a protractor with radius set at length AB to mark point D on BC. D will be between B and C because the length of a leg of right triangle is always less than the length of the hypotenuse. You now have exactly the situation shown in your picture but the angle is 90 degrees, not 72. Clearly that can be done taking any acute angle at A.

Well, but with that construction AD will not be the angle bisector of angle A.

72 degrees is 1/5 of a circle, or the complementary angle of a pentagram. My guess is that the solution will involve a pentagram or star of some sort.

this sounds very much like golden ratio

Hi guys,

I figured out the problem with the question. There is not enough information to solve this problem. You can see this by doing the following construction. Draw the line AD first (This can be any length, for this argument atleast). Now draw the two equal angles BAD and DAC on either side of AD. Again, the angle could take any value. Extend the sides AB and AC such that BDC forms a straight line and BD = DC.

Now, in this triangle, AB > CD. Now rotate the side BDC around the point D such that the length of CD increases and that of AB decreases. We can always do this. Since the rotation is continuous, we will always have some angle of rotation at which AB = CD.

We then have constructed exactly the triangle described above! Since the angle is arbitrary, the question is incomplete.

I now recall what the original question was. There was an additional given -

angle ABC = 2 X angle BCA

Try and solve it now!

Related to Prove Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 Degrees

1. How can you prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC equal to 72 degrees?

To prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC equal to 72 degrees, we can use the angle sum property of triangles which states that the sum of all angles in a triangle is equal to 180 degrees. We can also use the fact that an equilateral triangle has all angles equal to 60 degrees, and by subtracting 60 from 180, we get an angle of 120 degrees. By bisecting this angle, we get two angles of 60 degrees each, making the remaining angle 72 degrees.

2. What are the steps to prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees?

The steps to prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees are:
1. Draw a rough sketch of the triangle ABC.
2. Use the angle sum property to find the value of one of the angles.
3. Use the fact that an equilateral triangle has all angles equal to 60 degrees to find the value of another angle.
4. Bisect the remaining angle to get two 60 degree angles.
5. Use the angle sum property again to find the value of the remaining angle.
6. By proving that Angle BAC is equal to 72 degrees, we have proved that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees.

3. Can we use any other method to prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees. One method is using the properties of similar triangles and proving that Triangle ABC is similar to a triangle with an angle of 72 degrees. Another method is using trigonometric ratios and solving for the angles of the triangle.

4. What is the importance of proving that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees?

Proving the measure of Angle BAC in Triangle ABC is important because it helps us understand the properties and relationships of triangles. It also allows us to solve more complex geometric problems and apply this knowledge in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation.

5. Can we use the same method to prove that any triangle has an angle of 72 degrees?

No, the method used to prove that Triangle ABC has Angle BAC = 72 degrees is specific to this particular triangle. Each triangle may require a different method of proof depending on its properties and given information. However, the angle sum property and the properties of equilateral triangles can be used in various proofs involving triangles.