Fact or Fiction: 2 Planets Discovered in Perpendicular Orbits?

In summary, The conversation was about a T.V. special discussing the discovery of two planets with perpendicular orbits compared to the other nine planets. One person doubted the stability of such an orbit due to the amount of mass in the ecliptic plane, while the other mentioned that the special may have been using a loose definition of "planet".
Mentat
I've just talked with someone who informed me of a T.V. special, that dealt with the discovery of two planets, that move in perpendicular orbits - relative to the other nine planets. Is this true, or was I right in assuming that it was ridiculous?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't believe that can be a long term stable orbit. The amount of mass in or near plane of the ecliptic would surely perturb such orbits after a while.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I don't believe that can be a long term stable orbit. The amount of mass in or near plane of the ecliptic would surely perturb such orbits after a while.

That's what I tried to tell him, but he insisted that he had seen this on some "science special".

The special to which he reffered might have been fudging around a little with the definition of "planet", since we don't really have one, yet. Maybe they were just talking about a couple of larger-than-usual objects in the Oort Cloud (which is, after all, spherical).

1. Is it possible for two planets to have perpendicular orbits?

Yes, it is possible for two planets to have perpendicular orbits. In fact, in our own solar system, Uranus and its moons have a tilted and perpendicular orbit compared to the other planets.

2. How were these planets discovered?

These planets were likely discovered using the transit method, where scientists observe the dimming of a star's light as a planet passes in front of it. This method can also reveal information about the planet's orbit and size.

3. Do these planets exist in a stable orbit?

It is possible for planets to have perpendicular orbits and still exist in a stable orbit. The stability of a planet's orbit depends on various factors such as the mass and distance from their star.

4. Could there be other planets with perpendicular orbits in the universe?

Yes, it is possible that there are other planets with perpendicular orbits in the universe. With the discovery of thousands of exoplanets, it is likely that there are other unique planetary systems out there.

5. What can we learn from the discovery of these planets with perpendicular orbits?

The discovery of these planets can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. It can also help us understand the diversity of planetary orbits and how they are influenced by various factors.