Prove the trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation revolved around simplifying a trigonometric expression. The student made several mistakes in their attempts, including incorrect cancellations and factoring. The expert recommended reviewing basic algebra concepts and provided guidance on how to correctly simplify the expression, which resulted in the correct answer of tanθ - 1. The student expressed gratitude for the help and acknowledged the need for a refresher in math.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

(question attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Checking solution.. pretty sure I did this wrong.
(solution attached)

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 505
  • math.png
    math.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
pbonnie said:

Homework Statement

(question attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Checking solution.. pretty sure I did this wrong.
(solution attached)

Yes, you did. I see several mistakes.

On the left side, tanθ - 1 = sinθ/cosθ - 1, but that's not equal to (sinθ - 1)/cosθ, as you show.

On the right side there are two mistakes that I see: you factored the denominator wrong in the next to the last line, and I have no idea how you ended with what you did in the last line.

I would recommend working with the right side, to make it look like the left side. This can be done in three steps.

Oh wow okay, I think I got it. Thank you very much

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 480
Sorry nevermind, I see what you were saying earlier now. So the last step on the right side would be to simplify it further to tanθ -1

pbonnie said:
Oh wow okay, I think I got it. Thank you very much
No, you're not getting it at all. On the right side, you have this:
$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - cos^2(θ)}{sin(θ)cos(θ) + cos^2(θ)} = \frac{sin^2(θ) - 1}{sin(θ)cos(θ)}$$

This is wrong. It appears that you are cancelling the cos2(θ) terms to arrive at the expression on the right, above. This is like saying (5 + 1)/(2 - 1) = (5 - 1)/2 = 2. The actual value is 6.

The only time you can cancel is when the same factor (not term) appears in the numerator and denominator. You will not be successful in trig until you get a stronger grasp on algebra.

Last edited:
No matter what I do I can't get the answer. I don't understand.

Do you know how to factor a2 - b2?
Can you factor ab + b2?

You need to know how to make these factorizations so that you can simplify this:
$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - cos^2(θ)}{sin(θ)cos(θ) + cos^2(θ)} $$

The way you did it is not valid.

So the numerator would be (sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ+cosƟ)
But I don't know how to factor ab + b^2

Oh! ab + b^2 would equal b(a+b)?
So the denominator would be cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)?

pbonnie said:
No matter what I do I can't get the answer.
It's because you do not understand how to simplify fractions and rational expressions.

In post #1 you did this:

$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - (1 - sin^2(θ))}{sin(θ) cos(θ) (1 - sin^2(θ))} ~~\text{(1)}$$
$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - 1}{sin(θ) cos(θ)} ~~\text{(2)}$$
$$ \frac{sin(θ) - 1 }{cos(θ)} ~~\text{(3)}$$

In (1) you have the wrong sign in the denominator.
In (2), you apparently canceled (1 - sin2(θ)). You absolutely can't do this, since what you canceled is not a factor of both numerator and denominator.
In (3), you apparently canceled sin(θ), which is also invalid since sin(θ) is not a factor of the numerator.

In post #4 you did this:
$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - cos^2(θ)}{sin(θ) cos(θ) + cos^2(θ)} ~~\text{(4)}$$
$$ \frac{sin^2(θ) - 1)}{sin(θ) cos(θ) } ~~\text{(5)}$$
$$ \frac{sin(θ) - 1}{cos(θ) } ~~\text{(6)}$$

In (4), you have the sign in the denominator correct this time.
In (5), you canceled cos2(θ), which is not valid for the reasons stated above.
In (6), you sin(θ), which is also not valid. sin(θ) is not a factor in the numerator.

pbonnie said:
So the numerator would be (sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ+cosƟ)
If you multiply this back out do you get sin2(θ) - cos2(θ)?
pbonnie said:
Oh! ab + b^2 would equal b(a+b)?
So the denominator would be cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)?
Yes!

Okay so now I have (sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ+cosƟ)/cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)
So now I can actually cancel out (sinƟ + cosƟ) once on the top and once on the bottom, to get
sinƟ + cosƟ/cosƟ

From here I'm stuck again. I know the sinƟ/cosƟ would equal tan, but I'm not sure where the -1 comes from

pbonnie said:
Okay so now I have (sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ+cosƟ)/cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)
Does (sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ+cosƟ) multiply out to sin2Ɵ - cos2Ɵ?

pbonnie said:
So now I can actually cancel out (sinƟ + cosƟ) once on the top and once on the bottom, to get
sinƟ + cosƟ/cosƟ

From here I'm stuck again. I know the sinƟ/cosƟ would equal tan, but I'm not sure where the -1 comes from

Ah sorry I had the right answer in my head but I wrote it out wrong. Didn't even notice.
(sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ-cosƟ)/cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)

Then sinƟ-cosƟ/cosƟ
Now I'm stuck again. I'm doing different variations of substituting the quotient identity into the equation but I can't get the right order

pbonnie said:
Ah sorry I had the right answer in my head but I wrote it out wrong. Didn't even notice.
(sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ-cosƟ)/cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ)
So far, so good, but you need some more parentheses around the entire denominator, like so:
(sinƟ+cosƟ)(sinƟ-cosƟ)/(cosƟ(sinƟ + cosƟ))
pbonnie said:
Then sinƟ-cosƟ/cosƟ
Here you need some parentheses around the entire numerator, like so:

(sinƟ-cosƟ)/cosƟ
pbonnie said:
Now I'm stuck again.
(A + B)/C is the same as A/C + B/C, and (A - B)/C is the same as A/C - B/C.
pbonnie said:
I'm doing different variations of substituting the quotient identity into the equation but I can't get the right order

You're having a lot of difficulties working with fraction-type expressions. It would be a good idea for you to take some time reviewing how to simplify fractions and rational expressions. If you don't still have the textbook you studied from, there are a number of online sites that are helpful, such as http://khanacademy.org.

Got it! sinƟ/cosƟ - cosƟ/cosƟ
= tanƟ-1

Ahh thank you so much. I definitely need a refresher it's been a long time since I've taken a math course. Thank you for the link and for you patience and help!

Related to Prove the trigonometric identity

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. In other words, it is an equation that is always true, regardless of the specific values of the angles involved.

2. Why is proving a trigonometric identity important?

Proving a trigonometric identity is important because it helps to strengthen our understanding of the relationships between different trigonometric functions. It also allows us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve more complicated problems.

3. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are sine squared plus cosine squared equals one, tangent equals sine over cosine, and cotangent equals cosine over sine. These are often referred to as the Pythagorean identities.

4. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate the expression on one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric identities until it is equivalent to the expression on the other side of the equation. This process may involve using properties of trigonometric functions, such as the reciprocal, quotient, and Pythagorean identities.

5. What is the best approach for proving a trigonometric identity?

The best approach for proving a trigonometric identity is to start by simplifying one side of the equation using known identities and properties. Then, work on the other side of the equation to make it look more like the simplified side. Continue this process until both sides of the equation are equivalent. It may also be helpful to use a step-by-step approach and keep track of each step taken.