Bloody Newton's 3rd law and the naughty lifter

• Thread starter ddr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of a tool called a "lifter" to lift heavy objects. The participants also mention the concepts of the 3rd Newton's law, conservation of energy, and the use of a lever in this process. There is a discussion about making forces and distances equal in order to achieve balance, with the 3rd Newton's law being a special case of this.
ddr
You know what is lifter right. The tool you use to lift heavy objects.
How does the 3rd Newton's law (action force = - reaction force) suit in it?What about conservation of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what you're asking. By lifter, do you mean pulleys?

Originally posted by Jonathan
I can't tell what you're asking. By lifter, do you mean pulleys?
I mean something like the figure on:

http://www.geocities.com/dr_physica/sf.htm
the fig is:coed.jpg

I see what you mean, lever. I can't anwser though, I don't understand your question or what he is talking about in the paragraph above the picture, sorry.

Originally posted by ddr
How does the 3rd Newton's law (action force = - reaction force) suit in it?What about conservation of energy?
It sounds like you have an idea here. So you tell us. What about conservation of energy?

Or better yet, why even bother with energy? If you take a static view of a lever, there is no energy involved, just forces. Add 'em all up and they equal zero. Its pretty simple.

Originally posted by russ_watters
It sounds like you have an idea here. So you tell us. What about conservation of energy?

Or better yet, why even bother with energy? If you take a static view of a lever, there is no energy involved, just forces. Add 'em all up and they equal zero. Its pretty simple.

I'll talk about the fug coed.jpg on my site:
http://www.geocites.com/dr_physica/sf.htm

as it's obvious |Fa| <> |Fr| and |Da| <> |Dr| but...
if you want to make |Fa|=|Fr| then you'll have to make |Da|=|Dr|
it's so cause Ea = Fa x Da = Fr x Dr = Er.
the equation Fa x Da = Fr x Dr means:
smaller distance coresponds to larger force and
larger distance coresponds to smaller force.

Newton III is special case of my saying and it is when |Da|=|Dr|

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to the "naughty lifter" scenario?

In the "naughty lifter" scenario, the lifter exerts a force on the ground in order to lift the weight. According to Newton's 3rd law, the ground will exert an equal and opposite force on the lifter, allowing them to lift the weight.

3. What is the significance of the word "bloody" in the phrase "Bloody Newton's 3rd law"?

The word "bloody" in this phrase is used as an intensifier and does not have any scientific significance. It is commonly used as an expression of frustration or emphasis in colloquial language.

4. Why is Newton's 3rd law important in the field of science?

Newton's 3rd law is important because it helps us understand the relationship between forces and motion. It is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to explain many phenomena in the natural world.

5. Can Newton's 3rd law be violated?

No, Newton's 3rd law is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. Every action will always have an equal and opposite reaction, regardless of the circumstances.