Is Torture Really Worse than Death?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a tortured death and its comparison to a gun shot wound. The speakers also mention the importance of pain and suffering in relation to the duration of time before death. They also bring up the topic of elderly individuals preparing for their own death and ensuring that their bodies are discovered in a timely manner. Finally, they discuss the difference between killing and hurting someone.
Mattius_
I was just wondering, that in an objective sense, the only thing wrong with a tortured death is the pain and possibly embarrasment one goes through before death. These are days and weeks at the most in almost all cases. So what I don't get, is how does tortured death, for example, taped decapitation, differ from a gun shot wound? I mean, to be honest, I would prefer an unpainful death, but really, I don't think, objectively speaking, that It would matter much, a few extra days of pain is not much...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
possibly embarrasment - Mattius

I won't answer your question directly. But I will note that I know of some elderly single people who call one another each morning, 365 days of the year. I gather that the primary purpose, left unspoken by them, is that if one of them should die, as long as the other remains alive for the next 24 or so hours, the one alive will be able to alert others to start a chain of events that would lead to the corpse being discovered before it has time to get really bloated and nasty. I know that's gross to talk about, but there you go.

Mattius_ said:
I was just wondering, that in an objective sense, the only thing wrong with a tortured death is the pain and possibly embarrasment one goes through before death. These are days and weeks at the most in almost all cases. So what I don't get, is how does tortured death, for example, taped decapitation, differ from a gun shot wound? I mean, to be honest, I would prefer an unpainful death, but really, I don't think, objectively speaking, that It would matter much, a few extra days of pain is not much...

I think what you are doing here is confusing two issues. On the one hand is a matter of pain, suffering, and the relative merits of different ways to end a life. On the other hand is a comparison of eternity to a finite time period. You begin by saying something to the effect that pain and wrongness may be related, but then surmise that a few extra days of pain is not much. What’s important isn’t that death brings relief from pain or embarrassment (unrevealed) but rather, what’s felt while the individual still lives. When compared to eternity a few days is certainly not much time, but if red-hot instruments were being inserted repeatedly into a bodily orifice I should think that a few extra days of such treatment would seem like an eternity !

Janitor said:
I won't answer your question directly. But I will note that I know of some elderly single people who call one another each morning, 365 days of the year. I gather that the primary purpose, left unspoken by them, is that if one of them should die, as long as the other remains alive for the next 24 or so hours, the one alive will be able to alert others to start a chain of events that would lead to the corpse being discovered before it has time to get really bloated and nasty. I know that's gross to talk about, but there you go.

Here’s another method that can work even without a telephone. It is practiced in certain retirement communities and is good for people who live alone; place a sign in one of your windows where it can be easily seen. The sign has a day of the week written on it, for example; Monday. Now, if Friday comes rolling around yet BoulderHead hasn’t updated the sign in his window since Monday, well, can you guess what time it is ?

i think i will die someday.

Mattius_ said:
the only thing wrong with a tortured death is the pain and possibly embarrasment one goes through before death. These are days and weeks at the most in almost all cases.

Well if that's all :rolleyes:

Mattius_ said:
So what I don't get, is how does tortured death, for example, taped decapitation, differ from a gun shot wound? I mean, to be honest, I would prefer an unpainful death, but really, I don't think, objectively speaking, that It would matter much, a few extra days of pain is not much...

We're talking about two different things here you seem to combine to one.
As I see it there's killing and hurting which are two different things. Hurting someone can even be worse then killing someone.

I'd say it's pretty much instinctual to avoid pointless pain, no matter how long it lasts. That said, decapitation would not be a terrible way to go, provided it is not preceded by any form of torture.

1. What is the reality of tortured death?

The reality of tortured death is the experience of intense physical or psychological pain and suffering inflicted on a person, often with the intention of extracting information, punishment, or control. It is a form of violence and violation of human rights that has been used throughout history and continues to occur in various forms around the world.

2. How does torture affect the human body?

Torture can have severe physical and psychological effects on the human body. The physical effects can include broken bones, organ damage, permanent disabilities, and even death. The psychological effects can include post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues. The long-term effects of torture can also lead to chronic pain and other health problems.

3. Why is torture considered a violation of human rights?

Torture is considered a violation of human rights because it is a deliberate and cruel act that causes physical and psychological harm to a person. It goes against the fundamental principle of human dignity and the right to live a life free from violence and abuse. Torture is also prohibited by international human rights law and is considered a crime against humanity.

4. What are the psychological effects of being a victim of torture?

The psychological effects of being a victim of torture can be devastating. The trauma and fear experienced during torture can lead to long-term mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety. Victims may also experience feelings of shame, guilt, and humiliation, and struggle with trust and relationships. These effects can have a significant impact on a person's life and well-being.

5. What can be done to prevent torture?

Preventing torture requires a multi-faceted approach. It is crucial to have strong laws and policies in place that prohibit and criminalize torture. Governments must also ensure that those who commit acts of torture are held accountable and brought to justice. Education and awareness-raising about the consequences of torture can also help to prevent it from occurring. Additionally, providing support and rehabilitation for victims of torture is essential in helping them heal and recover from their experiences.