Prove the operator d/dx is hermitian

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the operator d/dx is hermitian. The equation for a hermitian operator is <m|Ω|n> = <n|Ω|m>*. The attempt at a solution involves using integration by parts, but the person is unsure how to apply it in this situation with two functions and the operator. The end goal is to show that the integral of (f_n* d/dx f_m) dx is not equal to the complex conjugate of the integral of (f_m* d/dx f_n) dx.
baldywaldy
Hiya :) the title is meant to be prove it isn't hermitian

Homework Statement

Prove the operator d/dx is hermitian

Homework Equations

I know that an operator is hermitian if it satisfies the equation : <m|Ω|n> = <n|Ω|m>*

The Attempt at a Solution

Forgive the lack of latex , I have know idea how to use it and find it baffling.

the intergral of (fm* d/dx fn) dx = the intergral of fm* d fn
={fm* fn - the intergral of fn d fm*} between the limits x=infinity and - infinity.

This is where i get stuck. I just don't know where to go from here, like i said sorry for the lack of latex usage :(.

Thanks for the help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of integration by parts.

ehild

I know intergration by parts but i just don't understand how to apply in this situation because there are two functions and an operator

d/dx f means that you differentiate f with respect to x. d/dx f = df/dx = f'

You have to show that [itex]\int{f_n f'_mdx}\neq (\int{f'_n f_mdx})^*[/itex]

ehild

Hello! I believe there is a mistake in the title of your question. The operator d/dx is actually hermitian, so there is no need to prove that it is not hermitian.

To prove that d/dx is hermitian, we need to show that it satisfies the equation <m|Ω|n> = <n|Ω|m>*. In this case, the operator Ω is d/dx and the states |m> and |n> are the functions fm(x) and fn(x).

Let's start with the left-hand side of the equation: <m|Ω|n>. This is equal to the integral of fm*(x)Ωfn(x)dx. Since Ω = d/dx, we can rewrite this as the integral of fm*(x)(d/dx)(fn(x))dx. Now, using integration by parts, we get:

∫fm*(x)(d/dx)fn(x)dx = fm*(x)fn(x) - ∫fn(x)(d/dx)fm*(x)dx

Note that the integral on the right-hand side is the same as the one we started with, but with the roles of fm(x) and fn(x) switched. Therefore, we can rewrite it as:

∫fm*(x)(d/dx)fn(x)dx = fm*(x)fn(x) - ∫fm(x)(d/dx)fn*(x)dx

Now, let's look at the right-hand side of the equation: <n|Ω|m>*. This is equal to the complex conjugate of <m|Ω|n>, which is the integral of fn*(x)Ωfm(x)dx. Following the same steps as before, we get:

∫fn*(x)(d/dx)fm(x)dx = fn*(x)fm(x) - ∫fn(x)(d/dx)fm*(x)dx

Notice that this is almost the same as what we got for the left-hand side, except for the order of fm and fn. However, since integration is commutative, the order doesn't matter and we can rewrite this as:

∫fn*(x)(d/dx)fm(x)dx = fm*(x)fn(x) - ∫fm(x)(d/dx)fn*(x)dx

And this is

Related to Prove the operator d/dx is hermitian

1. What is a hermitian operator?

A hermitian operator is a linear operator in quantum mechanics that has the property of being self-adjoint with respect to an inner product. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint, or conjugate transpose.

2. How do you prove that the operator d/dx is hermitian?

To prove that the operator d/dx is hermitian, we must show that it is equal to its own adjoint. This can be done by taking the inner product of the operator with a function f(x) and its adjoint with the same function, and showing that they are equal.

3. What is the significance of a hermitian operator in quantum mechanics?

A hermitian operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents an observable quantity, such as position or momentum. The eigenvalues of a hermitian operator correspond to the possible values of the observable, and the eigenvectors represent the states in which the observable is well-defined.

4. Can an operator be hermitian in one basis but not in another?

Yes, an operator can be hermitian in one basis but not in another. This is because the definition of a hermitian operator depends on the inner product used, and different inner products can lead to different hermitian operators.

5. How does the hermiticity of an operator relate to the conservation of energy in quantum mechanics?

The hermiticity of an operator is directly related to the conservation of energy in quantum mechanics. This is because a hermitian operator represents an observable quantity, and the conservation of energy means that the expectation value of this observable should remain constant over time.