Prove The Following Obeys Hamilton's Equation....

In summary, the expression for E is wrong. I get the right answer for V ifE = \frac{\rho \kappa^2 R}{2} (ln(\frac{8R}{a_0}) - \frac{3}{2})
CMJ96

Homework Statement

05M0ndw.png

Homework Equations

Given in the above picture

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to rearrange the relationship between P and R to gain an expression for R, in terms of P. I subbed that into the expression for E and attempted to differentiate. I ended up with this expression.
dnOEpuQ.png

I can't see how this is going to lead to the relationship for V.. any help would be appreciated here because I'm not sure where I am going with this question

Physics news on Phys.org
CMJ96 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 195547

Homework Equations

Given in the above picture

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to rearrange the relationship between P and R to gain an expression for R, in terms of P. I subbed that into the expression for E and attempted to differentiate. I ended up with this expression.
View attachment 195548
I can't see how this is going to lead to the relationship for V.. any help would be appreciated here because I'm not sure where I am going with this question

I think the expression for [itex]E[/itex] is wrong. I get the right answer for [itex]V[/itex] if

[itex]E = \frac{\rho \kappa^2 R}{2} (ln(\frac{8R}{a_0}) - \frac{3}{2})[/itex]

The E given doesn't work out, unit-wise. (It has the same units as momentum, while it should have the units of momentum times velocity)

Likes CMJ96
stevendaryl said:
I think the expression for [itex]E[/itex] is wrong. I get the right answer for [itex]V[/itex] if

[itex]E = \frac{\rho \kappa^2 R}{2} (ln(\frac{8R}{a_0}) - \frac{3}{2})[/itex]

The E given doesn't work out, unit-wise. (It has the same units as momentum, while it should have the units of momentum times velocity)

Oh dear... this is really concerning because this is a problem that my lecturer gave my class from a textbook that he edited.

How are ##dE/dP## and ##dE/dR## related?

I don't know about the typo, as I haven't done the calculation.

George Jones said:
How are ##dE/dP## and ##dE/dR## related?

I don't know about the typo, as I haven't done the calculation.
Is it a chain rule? dE/dR * dR/dP=dE/dP?

Yes.

How is dR/dP related to dP/dR?

Then, put everything together.

Okay so I have attempted to apply the chain rule, I have the following equations, it seems close but not quite there, am I along the right lines?
8zfeuiY.png

What is

$$\frac{d}{dx} \ln \left( ax \right)?$$

Likes CMJ96
CMJ96 said:
Okay so I have attempted to apply the chain rule, I have the following equations, it seems close but not quite there, am I along the right lines?
View attachment 195655

You're making a little mathematical mistake:

[itex]\frac{d}{dR} ln(AR) = 1/R[/itex], not [itex]\frac{A}{R}[/itex]

Likes CMJ96
Ahhh yes!, so instead of -3/2 + a_0/8 it would be -3/2 + 1, hence the -1/2. Thank you, this is very helpful!

Hiiiiiii :woot:

Related to Prove The Following Obeys Hamilton's Equation....

1. What is Hamilton's equation?

Hamilton's equation is a set of equations in classical mechanics that describes the time evolution of a system's position and momentum. It is based on the principle of least action, where the system follows the path that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the system's Lagrangian over time.

2. How do you prove that a system obeys Hamilton's equation?

To prove that a system obeys Hamilton's equation, you need to show that the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian of the system are equivalent to Hamilton's equations. This can be done by taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the position and momentum variables and comparing them to the equations of motion.

3. What are the advantages of using Hamilton's equation in classical mechanics?

Hamilton's equation has several advantages, including its ability to describe the time evolution of a system without needing to solve differential equations, its connection to the principle of least action, and its usefulness in studying conservative systems.

4. Can Hamilton's equation be applied to all physical systems?

Hamilton's equation is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including those with conservative and non-conservative forces. However, it may not be applicable to systems with highly complex or chaotic behavior.

5. How does Hamilton's equation relate to quantum mechanics?

Hamilton's equation is a classical theory, but it has a direct connection to quantum mechanics through the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. This equation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and describes the time evolution of a wave function. Additionally, the quantum version of Hamilton's equation is used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of particles and fields.