Longest & Toughest Chemical Equation

• Thread starter benzun_1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, benzun thinks the Schroedinger Equation is a tough one, but it's not really a chemical equation. DNA is pretty simple, and real chemistry isn't about solving equations stoichiometrically.
benzun_1999
i know this must be very stupid but can anyone tell me the longest and the toughest chemical equation?

-benzun
All For God.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by ShawnD
The Schroedinger Equation is a pretty tricky one.

are you sure it's a chemical equation?

Chemistry doesn't work that way. "Tough" is to subjective.

Do you mean compound or reaction?

Anyone want to write down the equation for DNA? Pretty tough, eh?

Well, the equation for DNA is kind of simple.

[tex](Purine/pyrimidine + deoxyribose + phosphate) _{n}[/tex]

Where n is the number of bases in your DNA strand.

The point is, I could write down a chemical reaction showing the functionalization of a C-H bond. Looks simple, right? One of the challenging topics in synthetic organic chemistry is how to accomplish that with stereochemical specificity. I could write down the equations governing various phenomena in solid state NMR, but actually putting them to use to determine a membrane protein structure de novo does not qualify as a trivial extension of such equations. As Chemicalsuperfreak already mentioned, chemistry doesn't work this way. If you'd like to ask what are the challenges in chemistry, that's different. There are plenty, rest assured.

Last edited:
I mean...

Originally posted by Monique
Do you mean compound or reaction?

I mean reaction.

A simple example,

2H2+O2--->2H2O

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
Chemistry doesn't work that way. "Tough" is to subjective.

Ok i accept tell me the most complicated equation.

Originally posted by benzun_1999
Ok i accept tell me the most complicated equation.

Basically that's the same question. You can make an equation as tough as you want it to be. But there's no point. Real chemistry isn't about solving equations stoichiometrically like you do in freshman chemistry.

I'd have to disagree, some chemical reactions are very complicated when it comes to the transfer of bonding energies from one atom to the next, creating intermediates, until a new structure is formed.

I still remember organic chemistry and it was really really tough to figure out what the reaction would be like with two given molecules.

A lenghty reaction would be the biosyntesis of fatty acids, which is composed of 7 discrete steps.

How about not reactions, but actually molecular machines? I think that ATP synthase is an amazing molecular turbine. I have got a very high grade animation of it (based on crystalogical structures), unfortunately I am unable to share it :((

1. What is the longest and toughest chemical equation?

The longest and toughest chemical equation is a theoretical equation that contains the most number of chemical elements and compounds in a single reaction. There is no specific equation that is universally considered as the longest and toughest, as it can vary depending on the criteria used to determine the complexity of an equation.

2. How many elements and compounds are typically included in the longest and toughest chemical equation?

The number of elements and compounds included in the longest and toughest chemical equation can vary, but it is generally considered to contain hundreds or even thousands of elements and compounds. This makes it extremely difficult to balance and solve.

3. What makes a chemical equation considered as the longest and toughest?

A chemical equation is considered as the longest and toughest based on the number of elements and compounds included, as well as the complexity of the reactions and the difficulty in balancing the equation. It may also take into account the rarity of the elements and compounds used.

4. Is the longest and toughest chemical equation used in practical applications?

No, the longest and toughest chemical equation is purely theoretical and is not used in practical applications. It is often used as a challenge for students and scientists to test their knowledge and skills in solving complex chemical equations.

5. Are there any benefits to studying the longest and toughest chemical equation?

Studying the longest and toughest chemical equation can help scientists and students improve their problem-solving skills and deepen their understanding of chemical reactions and equations. It can also lead to advancements in chemical research and technology as scientists strive to solve more complex equations.