Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Prove the binomial identity ∑(-1)^j(n choose j)=0

lfdahl

Nov 26, 2013
Prove the binomial identity:

$$\sum_{j=0}^{n}(-1)^j{n \choose j}=0$$

- in two different ways

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Prove the binomial identity:

$$\sum_{j=0}^{n}(-1)^j{n \choose j}=0$$

- in two different ways
The only way I can think of is to do an induction proof. I haven't sat down to do it but it shouldn't be too hard.

-Dan

(Ahem!) I thought you were asking for help. When I saw it was a challenge I couldn't edit it out. (I thought it was a rather easy problem for you to be asking for help on.) Anyway, if someone else doesn't post it I'll get back to it later.

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
First method.

When $n$ is odd, it’s easy. The coefficients $\displaystyle\binom nj$ and $\displaystyle\binom n{n-j}$ from $j=0$ to $j=n$ pair up nicely; also $(-1)^{n-j}=(-1)^n(-1)^j=-(-1)^j$ (as $n$ is odd). Thus
$$\sum_{j=0}^n(-1)^j\binom nj$$

$\displaystyle=\ \sum_{j=0}^{\frac{n-1}2}\left[(-1)^j\binom nj + (-1)^{n-j}\binom n{n-j}\right]$

$\displaystyle=\ \sum_{j=0}^{\frac{n-1}2}\left[(-1)^j\binom nj - (-1)^j\binom n{n-j}\right]$

$=\ 0$.

Suppose $n$ is even, so $(-1)^n=1$ and $(-1)^{n-1}=-1$. We use the well-known identity
$$\binom nj\ =\ \binom{n-1}{j-1}+\binom{n-1}j$$
(which is simply saying that a binomial coefficient is the sum of the two coefficients above it in Pascal’s triangle). Then
$$\sum_{j=0}^n(-1)^j\binom nj$$

$\displaystyle=\ 1\,+\,\sum_{j=1}^{n-1}\left[(-1)^j\binom{n-1}{j-1} + (-1)^j\binom {n-1}j\right]\,+\,(-1)^n$

$\displaystyle=\ 1\,+\,\sum_{j=1}^{n-1}\left[-(-1)^{j-1}\binom{n-1}{j-1} + (-1)^j\binom {n-1}j\right]\,+\,1$

$\displaystyle=\ 1\,+\,\left[-(-1)^0\binom{n-1}0+(-1)^{n-1}\binom{n-1}{n-1}\right]\,+\,1$ (by telescoping)

$=\ 1+[(-1)+(-1)]+1$

$=\ 0$.

Second method.

Expand $0=[1+(-1)]^n$ binomially.

lfdahl

Nov 26, 2013
Thankyou very much, Olinguito , for your participation and two nice approaches! (Yes)