How far does the train travel during its acceleration phase?

• Thread starter dynamic998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
This is because the acceleration is constant, so the average speed is just the midpoint of the initial and final speeds. So after 3 seconds, the average speed is (0 + 40)/2 = 20/2 = 10 m/s, and since it was 0 initially, the speed at 3 seconds is 10 m/s. So the distance traveled in the first 3 seconds is 10 m/s x 3 s = 30 m.
dynamic998
A train starts from rest and accelerates uniformly in a straight line until, after 10s, it attains a speed of 40m/s. It then continues to accelerate at the same rate until it has traveled a total distance of 500m.

What is the distance travled by the train during the first 10s?
What distance did the train travel during the third second?

Ok this question is very confusing to me. I know that vi=0 and
vf=40 and distance= 500m. The thing i don't get is the first sentence. If u start from rest which is vi=0, how do u accelerate in a straight line to 10s. The thing i m guessing is if u go 4m/s from 0s to 10s. Then from 10s-22s, u travel at 40m/s. The first 10 seconds would equal to 20m, and the last 12 seconds would equal 480 m for a total of 500m. Does anyone know if i m doing this the right way because i feel that i got the beginning part messed up.
So for the first question i would think it is 20meters, and for the second question i think it is 12meters. Anyone can help?

Physics news on Phys.org
dynamic998, there are some formulae for problems like this, but you can do without them here.

Remember, if speed goes up uniformly from 0 to 40, then the average speed must be 20. This, plus some common sense, is enough to solve the problem.

Just some more info ...
The distance traveled in the third second is the distance traveled in the first three seconds minus the distance traveled in the first two seconds.
Try to take the question as two separate questions.
The first question says that train accelerated from rest to 40 m/s in 10 s.
The second question says that the train accelerated for 500 m, with a certain acceleration (that you would have calculated from the first question).
If you feel still stuck, tell us where exactly you are feeling stuck !
Ok this question is very confusing to me. I know that vi=0 and
vf=40 and distance= 500m. The thing i don't get is the first sentence. If u start from rest which is vi=0, how do u accelerate in a straight line to 10s. The thing i m guessing is if u go 4m/s from 0s to 10s. Then from 10s-22s, u travel at 40m/s. The first 10 seconds would equal to 20m, and the last 12 seconds would equal 480 m for a total of 500m. Does anyone know if i m doing this the right way because i feel that i got the beginning part messed up.
Frankly, i didn't understand what you mean by all of this !

what i think

when i calculated this my answers for distance traveled in first 10s was 20m/s x 10s= 200meters. The distance traveled during first 3 seconds was 60m-40m= 20meters. Am i right?

Some hints

It's a bit of a trick question. From what you are telling us, the fact it traveled in total 500m is completely useless.

Now, a number of equations that are helpful for these questions. The SUVAT equations, derived by calculus...
When v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, t = time taken, s = displacement (change in distance in a certain direction)... And an object is traveling at CONSTANT acceleration...

v = u + at
v2 = u2 + 2*a*s
s = ut + 0.5 * a * t2
s = (u + v) * t /2

Originally posted by dynamic998
distance traveled in first 10s was 20m/s x 10s= 200meters.
Correct.
The distance traveled during first 3 seconds was 60m-40m= 20meters.
Wrong. The speed is only 12 m/s after 3 seconds. So the distance is only 18 m.

1. What is "Confusing question to me"?

"Confusing question to me" is a phrase used to describe a question that is unclear or difficult to understand.

2. Why do people ask confusing questions?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may ask a confusing question. They may not have a clear understanding of the topic, they may be trying to be intentionally vague or misleading, or they may simply not know how to articulate their thoughts effectively.

3. How do I respond to a confusing question?

If you are unsure of how to answer a confusing question, it is okay to ask for clarification from the person asking the question. You can also try to break down the question into smaller parts or rephrase it to better understand what is being asked.

4. Can a confusing question be a good thing?

While it can be frustrating to receive a confusing question, it can also be an opportunity for learning and critical thinking. Trying to decipher a confusing question can challenge your problem-solving skills and help you better understand the topic being discussed.

5. How can I avoid asking confusing questions?

To avoid asking confusing questions, it is important to have a clear understanding of the topic and to think about what information you are trying to gather before asking the question. It can also be helpful to practice effective communication skills and to use specific and direct language when asking questions.