Prove that Q is not a finite set

• MHB
  • Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite Set
In summary, the conversation is about proving that $\mathbb{Q}$ is not a finite set. The speaker presents a proof by contradiction, assuming that $\mathbb{Q}$ is finite and showing that this leads to a contradiction. The proof involves using a bijection between $\mathbb{Q}$ and $I_n$, where $I_n$ is the set of positive integers less than or equal to $n$. However, since $\mathbb{N} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}$, we can pair the first $n$ numbers in $\mathbb{N}$ with $n$ members in $I_n$. This leaves $n_1 + 1 \in \mathbb{Q}$ without a
issacnewton
Hello

I am trying to prove that $\mathbb{Q}$ is not a finite set. I proceed with path of proof by contradiction. Suppose that $\mathbb{Q}$ is a finite set. Then $\exists\; n \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $I_n \sim \mathbb{Q}$, where
\[ I_n = \{i \in \mathbb{Z^{+}} |\; i \leq n\} \]

This means that there is a bijection from $\mathbb{Q}$ to $I_n$. Now since $\mathbb{N} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}$, we can pair first n numbers in $\mathbb{N}$ with n members in $I_n$. Let $n_1$ be the highest of these n numbers. Then $n_1 + 1 \in \mathbb{Q}$, but we can't pair this number with anyone in $I_n$ since we have exhausted all of them. This means that we can't have a function from $\mathbb{Q}$ to $I_n$, hence there is no bijection from $\mathbb{Q}$ to $I_n$. This is a contradiction. So $\mathbb{Q}$ is not a finite set.

Is this an ok proof ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IssacNewton,

Yes, the proof is correct.

Thanks for verifying

Related to Prove that Q is not a finite set

1. How is a set considered finite or infinite?

A set is considered finite if it has a specific number of elements that can be counted and listed. It is considered infinite if it continues without an end or limit.

2. What is the definition of a finite set?

A finite set is a set that has a limited or finite number of elements.

3. Can you prove that Q is not a finite set?

Yes, we can prove that Q (the set of rational numbers) is not a finite set. This can be done by showing that there is an infinite number of rational numbers between any two given rational numbers, and therefore the set Q has an infinite number of elements.

4. What evidence supports the claim that Q is not a finite set?

The evidence that supports the claim that Q is not a finite set is the fact that it is possible to create a one-to-one correspondence between Q and the set of positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...), which is known as the Cantor's diagonal argument. This shows that Q is countably infinite and therefore not a finite set.

5. Is there a visual representation that can help understand the concept of an infinite set?

Yes, there are various visual representations that can help understand the concept of an infinite set. One example is the Hilbert's Hotel paradox, which demonstrates how an infinite set can have the same number of elements as a proper subset of itself. This paradox helps to illustrate the concept of an infinite set not having an end or limit.