Prove that Planck function increases with temperature

In summary, the Planck function increases monotonically with temperature due to the decrease in (ehv/kT - 1) as T increases, and the fact that the other elements are independent of T. The derivative of the Planck function also supports this argument.
ck99

Homework Statement

Prove that the Planck function increases monotonically with temperature.

Homework Equations

Bv(T) = 2hv3c-2(ehv/kT - 1)-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I first went through this piece-by-piece, but I am not a mathematician so I don't know if this constitutes "proof"!

1) First consider ehv/kT and note that this function will decrease as T increases.

2) This means (ehv/kT - 1) will also decrease.

3) Therefore (ehv/kT - 1)-1 will increase with T.

4) The other elements are independant of T, so the Planck function will increase with T.

I also thought of taking the derivative with respect to T of the Planck function, to see if the gradient ever reached zero to indicate a stationary point. After doing a couple of substitutions, I got

dBv(T)/dT = 2h2v4c-2k-1(e-hv/kT + 1)-1

I'm not sure that is correct, and I think it tells me that gradient gets smaller as T increases. This doesn't help my argument much!

Physics news on Phys.org
ck99 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the Planck function increases monotonically with temperature.

Homework Equations

Bv(T) = 2hv3c-2(ehv/kT - 1)-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I first went through this piece-by-piece, but I am not a mathematician so I don't know if this constitutes "proof"!

1) First consider ehv/kT and note that this function will decrease as T increases.

2) This means (ehv/kT - 1) will also decrease.

3) Therefore (ehv/kT - 1)-1 will increase with T.

4) The other elements are independant of T, so the Planck function will increase with T.

The above argument sounds good to me.
I also thought of taking the derivative with respect to T of the Planck function, to see if the gradient ever reached zero to indicate a stationary point. After doing a couple of substitutions, I got

dBv(T)/dT = 2h2v4c-2k-1(e-hv/kT + 1)-1

That's not the correct result for the derivative. Ignoring the constants out front, you have

B = (x-1)-1 where x = ehv/kT.

Try using the chain rule: dB/dT = (dB/dx)##\cdot##(dx/dT)

Thanks TSny, I managed to compute the derivative correctly and that can also be put in terms of positive, increasing functions of T so I am sure that is adequate proof.

Related to Prove that Planck function increases with temperature

1. What is the Planck function and why does it increase with temperature?

The Planck function, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a mathematical formula that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body (an object that absorbs all incident radiation). It increases with temperature because higher temperatures correspond to higher energies of emitted radiation.

2. How is the Planck function derived?

The Planck function is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It takes into account the energy levels of the atoms or molecules in the black body and their probability of occupation at a given temperature.

3. Can the Planck function be used to accurately predict the radiation emitted by any object?

No, the Planck function is only applicable to ideal black bodies. Real objects may deviate from the behavior of a black body due to factors such as surface reflectivity and absorption.

4. How does the Planck function relate to other laws of thermodynamics?

The Planck function is a fundamental law of thermodynamics that governs the behavior of electromagnetic radiation. It is closely related to other laws, such as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which describes the total energy emitted by a black body, and Wien's displacement law, which relates the peak wavelength of emitted radiation to the temperature of the black body.

5. What practical applications does the Planck function have?

The Planck function has a wide range of applications in fields such as astronomy, atmospheric science, and engineering. It is used to calculate the temperature of stars based on their emitted radiation, and to model the Earth's energy balance and climate. It is also used in the design of high-temperature materials and technologies, such as thermophotovoltaic devices and solar collectors.