Prove That GCD(a,b) = 1 Implies LCM(a,b) = ab

In summary, the author is trying to prove that a >/= k. They are using the fact that LCM(a,b) \leq ab and that ((a,b)) = \prod_i p_i^{max(k_i,l_i)} to get there.
Yoss
Let a and b be natural numbers and LCM(a,b) = m.
Prove that if GCD(a,b) = 1, then LCM(a,b) = ab.

What I got so far was that since b|LCM(a,b), then b*k = LCM(a,b) for some natural number k. I know I need to show that k </= a and k >/= a so I get a = k. And show that b*k = ba = LCM(a,b).

I can get a </= k:

Since LCM(a,b) = m, then a|m and b|m. Since LCM(a,b) = m = b*k, then a|bk. <And by the Euclid's Lemma, if a|bc and GCD(a,b) = 1, then a|c>. So
a|k. So a*j = k for some natural number j, and therefore a </= k.

I'm sure I have to derive that a >/= k by the antecedent. I'm trying to use the property that GCD(a,b) = 1 = a*x + b*y for some integers x and y by showing that k|a. But I'm stuck.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this in Number Theory. Mod, can you move it if you think it should be there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a nice proof using the fundamental theorem of algebra.

NateTG said:
There's a nice proof using the fundamental theorem of algebra.

I'm sorry NateTG, I don't follow. Can you please elaborate?

I think you might mean Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic.

Yoss said:
I think you might mean Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic.
Yep. Sorry. Apparently I need to sleep more.

Am I even on the right track? It feels like I'm missing some trivial property that I need to solve this. Can anyone suggest something, and perhaps how to apply the FTA to this? Thanks.

Yeah, I think you're almost there.
You're trying to prove that [tex]a \geq k[/tex], right?
You might want to use the fact that [tex]LCM(a,b) \leq ab[/tex] since [tex]ab[/tex] is obviously a common multiple.

Also, the more general result :(a,b)*((a,b)) = ab where () is GCD, (( )) is LCM follows directly from

[tex] (a,b) = \prod_i p_i^{min(k_i,l_i)} ~~[/tex] and

[tex] ((a,b)) = \prod_i p_i^{max(k_i,l_i)}~~ [/tex] where

[tex] a = \prod_i p_i^{k_i} ~~[/tex] and

[tex] b = \prod_i p_i^{l_i} [/tex]

Last edited:
NateTG said:
Yeah, I think you're almost there.
You're trying to prove that [tex]a \geq k[/tex], right?
You might want to use the fact that [tex]LCM(a,b) \leq ab[/tex] since [tex]ab[/tex] is obviously a common multiple.

I knew it was something trivial I didn't see. Thanks NateG and Goku.

Related to Prove That GCD(a,b) = 1 Implies LCM(a,b) = ab

1. What is GCD and LCM?

GCD stands for Greatest Common Divisor and LCM stands for Least Common Multiple. GCD is the largest number that divides both a and b without leaving a remainder, while LCM is the smallest number that is a multiple of both a and b.

2. How do you prove that GCD(a,b) = 1 implies LCM(a,b) = ab?

To prove this, we can use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. Since the GCD of a and b is 1, it means that they do not have any common prime factors. Therefore, the LCM of a and b will have all the prime factors of a and b, and their highest powers. This results in LCM(a,b) = ab.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

For example, let's take a = 12 and b = 35. The prime factorization of 12 is 2 x 2 x 3, while the prime factorization of 35 is 5 x 7. The GCD of 12 and 35 is 1, as they do not have any common prime factors. The LCM of 12 and 35 will have all their prime factors and their highest powers, resulting in LCM(12,35) = 2 x 2 x 3 x 5 x 7 = 420. This is equal to the product of 12 and 35, which is 12 x 35 = 420.

4. Is this statement always true for any two positive integers a and b?

Yes, this statement is always true for any two positive integers a and b, as long as their GCD is 1. This is because the fundamental theorem of arithmetic applies to all positive integers, and the GCD of 1 indicates that the two numbers do not have any common prime factors.

5. How is this statement useful in mathematics or real-life applications?

This statement is useful in simplifying fractions and finding the lowest common denominator. If the GCD of two numbers is 1, it means that the two numbers are relatively prime, and their LCM will be equal to their product. This can also be helpful in solving problems involving fractions, ratios, and proportions.