Solving Incline Plane Problem: Find Min Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves an incline plane with a block resting on it and the question is what is the minimum acceleration needed for the block to slide down the plane. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and applying Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal components. The final equation to solve is a(0.73*sin28 - cos 28) = g(sin28 - 0.73*cos28).
J.T.
I have been stuck on this problem for so long... It's seriously driving me insane.

The problem:
An incline plane that makes an angle of 28 degrees to the horizontal is mounted on wheels. A small block of mass m=0.9kg rests on the plane, held there by a coefficient of static friction [mu]=0.73.
The plane is accelerating to the right. What is the minimum accleration in order that the block slides down the plane?

So far I've only been able to draw the free body diagram. After that, I realize I have to apply Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal components, but that's where I start having trouble. I don't really know how to separate out the components :frown:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Heres how u go about with the problem:

the vertical component of the acceleration is along the normal force and the horizontal component of the acceleration is along mgsin28 component. Thus a equilibrium, if a = min accln req by the mass to slide down:

μ*(masin28 + mgcos 28) = mgsin28 + macos28

From this a(0.73*sin28 - cos 28) = g(sin28 - 0.73*cos28)

Find out a by solving the above.

Got it?

Sridhar

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I'm not getting it.

I tried solving for a as you said, but I keep getting the wrong answer Maybe I'm just really bad at calculating numbers...

Thank you for the help anyways!

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I'm not getting it.

I tried solving for a as you said, but I keep getting the wrong answer Maybe I'm just really bad at calculating numbers...

Thank you for the help anyways!

1. What is the incline plane problem?

The incline plane problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the minimum acceleration required for an object to move up or down an inclined plane without sliding. It is a common problem in introductory physics courses and is used to demonstrate concepts such as Newton's Laws of Motion and the forces acting on an object on an incline.

2. How do you solve the incline plane problem?

To solve the incline plane problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object on the incline, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use trigonometry to break the force of gravity into its components parallel and perpendicular to the incline. Finally, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the minimum acceleration required for the object to move up or down the incline without sliding.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the incline plane problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the incline plane problem are Newton's Laws of Motion, forces, and trigonometry. Newton's First Law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Trigonometry is used to calculate the components of forces on an inclined plane.

4. What are some real-life applications of the incline plane problem?

The incline plane problem has several real-life applications, such as calculating the minimum speed required for a car to safely make it up a steep hill without rolling back, determining the optimal angle for a ramp to move heavy objects, and designing wheelchair ramps with the least amount of effort required for a person to ascend or descend.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the incline plane problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the incline plane problem include not properly drawing a free body diagram, not correctly identifying all the forces acting on the object, and not taking into account the frictional force between the object and the incline. It is also important to make sure that the units are consistent throughout the calculation and to double-check the final answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.