Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Prove that A Real Root Exists in [-1, 1]

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Given \(\displaystyle f(x)=5tx^4+sx^3+3rx^2+qx+p\) for $f(x)\in R$. If $r+t=-p$, prove that there is a real root for $f(x)=0$ in $[-1,1]$.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Some ideas:

We rewrite the polynomial as
$$f(x)=5tx^4+sx^3+3rx^2+qx-r-t=0,$$
where we are setting it equal to zero. We evaluate $f(1)$ and $f(-1)$:
\begin{align*}
f(1)&=5t+s+3r+q-r-t=4t+2r+s+q\\
f(-1)&=5t-s+3r-q-r-t=4t+2r-s-q.
\end{align*}
Idea: if $f(1)\cdot f(-1)<0$, then by the Intermediate Value Theorem, we would have shown there is a root in $[-1,1]$. Now
$$f(1)\cdot f(-1)=(4t+2r)^{2}-(s+q)^{2}.$$
Not seeing where to go with this. There's nothing stopping $s=q=0$, with $4t+2r\not=0$, in which case I have not proved what I want to prove.

zzephod

Feb 3, 2013
Given \(\displaystyle f(x)=5tx^4+sx^3+3rx^2+qx+p\) for $f(x)\in R$. If $r+t=-p$, prove that there is a real root for $f(x)=0$ in $[-1,1]$.
Consider the polynomial \(\displaystyle p(x)=tx^5+(s/4)x^4+rx^3+(q/2)x^2+px-(s/4+q/2)\).

Then \(\displaystyle p(1)=p(-1)=0\) and so \(\displaystyle p\) has an extremum in \(\displaystyle (-1,1)\), so \(\displaystyle p'(x)\) has a root in \(\displaystyle (-1,1)\) ...

Last edited:
  • Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks to both, Ackbach and zzephod for participating...

Consider the polynomial \(\displaystyle p(x)=tx^5+(s/4)x^4+rx^3+(q/2)x^2+px-(s/4+q/2)\).

Then \(\displaystyle p(1)=p(-1)=0\) and so \(\displaystyle p\) has an extremum in \(\displaystyle [-1,1]\), so \(\displaystyle p'(x)\) has a root in \(\displaystyle [-1,1]\) ...

WoW!!! What an elegant way to approach this problem! Well done, zzephod!(Clapping)

And there is another quite straightforward and beautiful way to tackle it as well...therefore I'll wait for the inputs from other members for now...(Sun)

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Another method proposed by other to solve this challenge problem is by using the integration method:

Hint:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-1}^1 p(x) dx=0\)