Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Prove that A and B are disjoint

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
How do I prove that 2 sets A and B are disjoint?

Do I let $\displaystyle x\in A$ and prove that $\displaystyle x\notin B$? Do I also have to prove the converse?

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
Do I let $\displaystyle x\in A$ and prove that $\displaystyle x\notin B$? Do I also have to prove the converse?
As stated, the question is too vague to give a clear answer.
That said, you might suppose that [tex]\exists x\in A\cap B[/tex].
Prove that leads to a contradiction.

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
As stated, the question is too vague to give a clear answer.
That said, you might suppose that [tex]\exists x\in A\cap B[/tex].
Prove that leads to a contradiction.
Thanks for your answer, but why is the question too vague?

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
if for ALL x in A, x is not in B, that would be sufficient. why? because that asserts that A is a subset of A - B = A - A∩B. since A - B is automatically a subset of A, we get immediately that A = A - B = A - A∩B, hence A∩B = Ø (if y was in A∩B, then y would not be in A-B, a contradiction since A = A-B).

however, you have to be careful. just picking "some" x in A, and showing it is not in B, just shows x is in A-B, which can happen when A and B are not disjoint. the choice of x has to be completely arbitrary (a "for all" choice, not a "there exists" choice).

for example, let's use "your method" to prove (0,1) and (3,4) (these are real intervals) are disjoint. let x be any real number in (0,1). then 0 < x < 1. since 1 < 3, by the transitivity of < we have x < 3. hence (x > 3)&(x < 4) is false (trichotomy property: exactly one of x < 3, x = 3 or x > 3 can be true...note this is a specific property of real numbers, we are using the fact that R is an ordered field, here), that is: 3 < x < 4 is false, so x is not in (3,4). since x is arbitrary, we conclude (0,1) and (3,4) are disjoint.

the following is a "bad proof": let x be in (0,1). then x is not in (3,4), so (0,1) and (3,4) are disjoint. why is this bad? because x might be 1/2, and all we have shown is 1/2 is not in (3,4).

it's a subtle difference, and Plato's posts are meant to underscore the important part: disjoint sets don't "overlap". put another way: quantification matters (logically speaking).

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
It is sufficient to prove "if x is in A then it is NOT in B" or "if x is in B then it is NOT in A". You do not have to prove both.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

In Munkres (Topology), there is a proof about showing sets are disjoint which is probably along the lines you are looking for. However, I can't remember off hand but it may not be too set theoretic. Chapter 2 or 3 I believe. It will be on a left hand side page at the bottom continuing to right page on the top.