Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Prove statements about metric

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Hey!! :eek:

Let $(X, d)$ be a metric space. For $A \subseteq X$ und $x \in X$ we define $d_A : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ by \begin{equation*}d_A(x):=\inf\{d(x,y)\mid y\in A\}\end{equation*}
I want to prove the below statements:
  1. $A$ is closed iff for all $x\in X$ with $d(x,A)=0$ it holds that $x\in A$.
  2. The map $d_A:X\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is continuous.
  3. Let $A,B\subseteq X$ be disjunctive, closed subsets. Then there is a continuous function $f:X\rightarrow [0,1]$ such that $$f(x)=0\iff x\in A\ \text{ and } \ f(x)=1\iff x\in B$$

I have done the following:
  1. Since $A$ is closed, it holds that $\forall x\in X\setminus A : \exists \epsilon >0 : B_{\epsilon}(x)\cap A=\emptyset$.

A ball $B_{\epsilon}(x)$ is the set of all points $y\in X$ satisfying $d(x,y)<\epsilon$.

Is the definition correct so far? How could we continue? (Wondering)

$$$$
  2. Let $a\in A$.

We have that $d_A(x)=\inf\{d(x,y)\mid y\in A\}\leq d(x,a)$. Applying the triangle inequality we get $d(x,a)\leq d(x,y)+d(y,a)$. That means that we have $d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+d(y,a)$.

We take the infimum over $a\in A$ and we get: $\inf_ad_A(x)\leq \inf_a\left (d(x,y)+d(y,a)\right ) \Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(y,a)$.

Since $(X,d)$ is a metric space, we have that $d$ is a metric and the property of symmetry is satisfied, and so we have $d(x,y)=d(y,x)$.

Therefore we get $d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(a,y)\Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+\inf_ad(y,a) \Rightarrow d_A(x)\leq d(x,y)+d_A(y) \Rightarrow d_A(x)-d_A(y)\leq d(x,y)$

Let $\varepsilon>0$. We choose $\delta:=\varepsilon$. Then, if $d(x,y)<\delta$, we have that $|d_A(x)-d_A(y)|\leq d(x,y)<\varepsilon$.

This means that $d_A$ is continuous.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

$$$$
  3. Could you give me a hint for this one? i got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Last edited:

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
3. Could you give me a hint for this one? i got stuck right now. (Wondering)
You can define the function $f$ explicitly in terms of $d_A$ and $d_B$. Use that:

From the definition of $d_A$ and 1. it follows that $d_A(x) = 0$ iff $x \in A$, and likewise for $d_B$.
The continuity of $f$ follows from 2.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
You can define the function $f$ explicitly in terms of $d_A$ and $d_B$. Use that:

From the definition of $d_A$ and 1. it follows that $d_A(x) = 0$ iff $x \in A$, and likewise for $d_B$.
The continuity of $f$ follows from 2.
So do you mean that we should define the function as follows?
$$f(x)=\begin{cases}d_A(x) , x\in A\\ 1-d_B(x) , x\in B\end{cases}$$

(Wondering)

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012

(Wondering)
That function is only defined on $A$ and $B$. What is needed here is a function defined on the whole of $X$. It should take the value $0$ on $A$, $1$ on $B$, and go continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
That function is only defined on $A$ and $B$. What is needed here is a function defined on the whole of $X$. It should take the value $0$ on $A$, $1$ on $B$, and go continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$.
I haven't really understood how we define the function in the case $x\in X\setminus (A\cup B)$ so that it goes continuously from $0$ to $1$ in the region "between" $A$ and $B$. Could you explain to me further? (Wondering)

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017

(Wondering)
In addition to the reply by Opalg (which is of course to the point), I would recommend that you make an "inspired guess":

(i) Can you write down a function $f$ that is $0$ on $A$ and $1$ on $B$, using nothing but $d_A$ and $d_B$?

(ii) Once you have a candidate, then try to prove: If $f(x) = 0$ then $x \in A$ and if $f(x) = 1$ then $x \in B$.

Did the candidate do the job? Good, then you are done. Did step (ii) fail? Then try to make small modifications to $f$ such that (i) remains true, hoping that you can make (ii) hold as well.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
In addition to the reply by Opalg (which is of course to the point), I would recommend that you make an "inspired guess":

(i) Can you write down a function $f$ that is $0$ on $A$ and $1$ on $B$, using nothing but $d_A$ and $d_B$?

(ii) Once you have a candidate, then try to prove: If $f(x) = 0$ then $x \in A$ and if $f(x) = 1$ then $x \in B$.

Did the candidate do the job? Good, then you are done. Did step (ii) fail? Then try to make small modifications to $f$ such that (i) remains true, hoping that you can make (ii) hold as well.
From the subquestion 1. we have that since $A$ is closed it follows that if $d(x,A)=0$ then $x\in A$. Can we say that $d(x,A)=0 \iff x\in A$ ?

If $d(x,A)=0$ then it holds that $d_A(x)=0$, correct?

Similarily, the same holds also for $B$.

I haven't really understood how to define the function $f$ using $d_B$ so that it is equal to $1$ when $x\in B$.

Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
From the subquestion 1. we have that since $A$ is closed it follows that if $d(x,A)=0$ then $x\in A$. Can we say that $d(x,A)=0 \iff x\in A$ ?

If $d(x,A)=0$ then it holds that $d_A(x)=0$, correct?

Similarily, the same holds also for $B$.
Yes, that is correct.

I haven't really understood how to define the function $f$ using $d_B$ so that it is equal to $1$ when $x\in B$.

Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)
I found this part of the problem quite difficult, and I don't see how to give a hint other than giving away the answer.
How about the function $f(x) = \dfrac{d_A(x)}{d_A(x) + d_B(x)}$?

That function is defined for all $x$ in $X$ (because the denominator of the fraction is never $0$). It is a continuous function; it takes values in the interval $[0,1]$; and it takes the value $0$ iff $x\in A$ and the value $1$ iff $x\in B$.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Yes, that is correct.

I found this part of the problem quite difficult, and I don't see how to give a hint other than giving away the answer.
How about the function $f(x) = \dfrac{d_A(x)}{d_A(x) + d_B(x)}$?

That function is defined for all $x$ in $X$ (because the denominator of the fraction is never $0$). It is a continuous function; it takes values in the interval $[0,1]$; and it takes the value $0$ iff $x\in A$ and the value $1$ iff $x\in B$.
Ahh ok? Now I see what you meant! (Nerd)

Is my answer at the second question, that $d_A$ is continuous, correct and complete? (Wondering)

Let's consider the first question.

We suppose that $\forall x\in X : d(x,A)=0\Rightarrow x\in A$. By definition it holds that $\displaystyle{d(x,A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}d(x, a_n)}$ and so it holds that $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}d(x, a_n)=0}$. Does this mean that all limit points of $A$ are contained in $A$ ? (Wondering)