Prove: Square Can Be Partitioned into n Smaller Squares for n > 14

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a square can be partitioned into n smaller squares for n>14. The original poster suggests using an induction proof, but is having trouble with n=16. The other person mentions that a proof by induction seems impossible and asks for clarification on what is meant by "partition into smaller squares" and for an example image for n=15.
CoachZ

Homework Statement

For n>14 such that n is an integer, prove that a square can be partitioned into n smaller squares...

Homework Equations

None...

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking this would be somewhat of an induction proof because we are working our way up to n. So far, I've found when n = 15, n = 17, but somehow n = 16 is eluding me at the moment. I'm just trying to see what it would look like if I were to do this visually, however my assumption is that this has to deal with modulo 3 in some form or another. How this works into a proof is also something that is eluding me. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but at first sight a proof by induction seems impossible. Because suppose you have shown that if it is possible for n, then it can also be done for n + 1.
Clearly, for n = 4 the statement is true (or even for n = 1, if you want). Also, what do you mean by "partition into smaller squares"? Does that count all squares? For example, when you draw a 3x3 grid in the square, does that give 9 squares? Or does that give 9 (1x1) squares + 4 (2x2) squares = 13 in total?
Also, can you post an image for n = 15, just to get the problem clear?

I would approach this problem by first defining some variables and parameters. Let's say the initial square has a side length of s. We can then define n as the number of smaller squares that will partition the initial square. We can also define the side length of each smaller square as x, where x is a fraction of s. This means that x must be a rational number, as it will need to divide evenly into s in order to partition the square.

Next, I would start by looking at some specific values for n, starting with n=15. In this case, we can see that the square can be partitioned into 15 smaller squares by dividing it into a 3x3 grid and then adding a smaller square in each corner, as shown in the figure below.

![partitioning square for n=15](https://i.imgur.com/7yTcS1z.png)

For n=17, we can use a similar approach, but this time we will have to add two smaller squares in each corner, as shown in the figure below.

![partitioning square for n=17](https://i.imgur.com/0cAa5D3.png)

Now, as you mentioned, n=16 is a bit trickier. However, we can still apply the same approach and divide the square into a 4x4 grid, as shown in the figure below.

![partitioning square for n=16](https://i.imgur.com/5fLJXW2.png)

But we are left with a small square in the center that we cannot partition further. This is where the modulo 3 comes into play. We can see that the leftover square has a side length of s/4, which is not a whole number. However, if we divide this square into 9 smaller squares, each with a side length of s/12, we can then add these smaller squares to the corners of our 4x4 grid, as shown in the figure below.

![partitioning square for n=16 with modulo 3](https://i.imgur.com/4qPZr5S.png)

This allows us to partition the square into 16 smaller squares, completing our proof.

In general, we can see that for n>14, we can always use the same approach of dividing the square into a grid and then adding smaller squares in the corners to partition it into n smaller squares. And for

Related to Prove: Square Can Be Partitioned into n Smaller Squares for n > 14

1. What does it mean to "partition" a square?

Partitioning a square means to divide it into smaller squares that fit perfectly within the original square without overlapping.

2. Is it possible to partition any square into smaller squares?

Yes, it is possible to partition any square into smaller squares as long as the number of smaller squares is greater than 14. This is known as the "squaring the square" problem and has been proven for all squares with a side length of at least 24.

3. How do you prove that a square can be partitioned into n smaller squares for n > 14?

The proof involves using a mathematical concept called dissection, where the original square is divided into smaller shapes that can then be rearranged to form smaller squares. The process is repeated until the desired number of squares is reached.

4. Can you provide an example of partitioning a square into smaller squares?

One example is the "squaring the square" solution for a square with a side length of 24, which requires 21 smaller squares. This can be achieved by dividing the original square into 16 smaller squares, then rearranging them to create 5 additional squares.

5. What is the significance of proving that a square can be partitioned into n smaller squares for n > 14?

The proof has significant implications in the field of mathematics, specifically in the study of geometric dissections. It also demonstrates the concept of infinite solutions, as there are an infinite number of ways to partition a square into smaller squares. Additionally, it showcases the power of mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.