Prove Set Identity: A⋂(B⊕C)=(A⋂B)⊕(A⋂C)

In summary: I am not sure where I am going wrong.In summary, the statement "Prove that A∩(BΔC)=(A∩B)Δ(A∩C)" is being discussed and the attempt at a solution is to use set identities to prove it. However, the attempt does not lead to a valid proof and the speaker is unsure of where they went wrong. They are also open to other methods of proving the statement.
22990atinesh

Homework Statement

Prove that ##A\cap(B\Delta C)=(A\cap B)\Delta(A\cap C)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
L.H.S.=##A\cap(B\Delta C)##
=##A\cap[(B - C) \cup (C - B)]##
=##A\cap[(B \cap \bar{C}) \cup (C \cap \bar{B})]##
=##[A\cap (B \cap \bar{C})] \cup [A\cap (C \cap \bar{B})]##
=##[(A\cap B) \cap \bar{C}] \cup [(A\cap C) \cap \bar{B}]##

R.H.S.=##(A \cap B) \Delta (A \cap C)##
=##[(A \cap B) - (A \cap C)] \cup [(A \cap C) - (A \cap B)]##
=##[(A\cap B) \cap \bar{(A\cap C)} ] \cup [(A\cap C) \cap \bar{(A\cap B)}]##
=##[(A\cap B) \cap (\bar{A} \cup \bar{C})] \cup [(A\cap C) \cap (\bar{A} \cup \bar{B})]##

I tried to make L.H.S = R.H.S. But with above results, It's not possible. Can anyone tell me what I've assumed wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you required to use that method? The most basic way to prove "X= Y" is to prove both "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]" and "[itex]Y\subseteq X[/itex]"".
And the most basic way to prove "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]" is to start "if x in in X" and use the definitions and properties of X and Y to conclude "therefore x is in Y".

Here we want to prove [itex]A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)= \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex] so we first prove
[itex]A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)\subseteq \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex]

To do that:
if [itex]x\in A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)[/itex] then x is in A and x is in B or C but not both. So look at two cases

1) x is in B but not C. Then x is in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] but not [itex]A\cap C[/itex]. Therefore x is in [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex].

2) x is in C but not in B. Then x is in [itex]A\cap C[/itex] but not [itex]A\cap B[/itex]. Therefore x is in [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex].

Now show that [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)\subseteq A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)[/itex] the same way:
if [itex]x \in \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex] then ...

HallsofIvy said:
Are you required to use that method? The most basic way to prove "X= Y" is to prove both "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]" and "[itex]Y\subseteq X[/itex]"".
And the most basic way to prove "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]" is to start "if x in in X" and use the definitions and properties of X and Y to conclude "therefore x is in Y".

Here we want to prove [itex]A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)= \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex] so we first prove
[itex]A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)\subseteq \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex]

To do that:
if [itex]x\in A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)[/itex] then x is in A and x is in B or C but not both. So look at two cases

1) x is in B but not C. Then x is in [itex]A\cap B[/itex] but not [itex]A\cap C[/itex]. Therefore x is in [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex].

2) x is in C but not in B. Then x is in [itex]A\cap C[/itex] but not [itex]A\cap B[/itex]. Therefore x is in [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex].

Now show that [itex]\left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)\subseteq A\cap\left(B\Delta C\right)[/itex] the same way:
if [itex]x \in \left(A\cap B\right)\Delta\left(A\cap C\right)[/itex] then ...

I understand your approach. But I want to prove it through Set identities.

Related to Prove Set Identity: A⋂(B⊕C)=(A⋂B)⊕(A⋂C)

What is the meaning of "Prove Set Identity: A⋂(B⊕C)=(A⋂B)⊕(A⋂C)"?

This is a set identity that states the intersection of set A with the symmetric difference of sets B and C is equal to the symmetric difference of the intersection of set A with set B and the intersection of set A with set C.

What is a set identity?

A set identity is a statement that shows the equality of two sets, regardless of the elements in the sets.

How can I prove this set identity?

You can prove this set identity by using the properties of sets, such as the distributive property, associative property, and the definition of symmetric difference.

Why is this set identity important?

This set identity is important because it helps us understand the relationships between sets and can be used to simplify and solve problems involving sets.

Can this set identity be applied to any sets?

Yes, this set identity can be applied to any sets. However, it is important to remember that the sets must have a well-defined intersection and symmetric difference in order for the identity to hold.