Prove Power Set equation by Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses using induction to prove that if the cardinality of a set A is equal to n, then the cardinality of the power set of A is equal to 2^n. The conversation also explains the step where P(B) consists of all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} together with all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} with the element an+1 added to them. This is because the sets in i] all include an+1 and have a one-to-one correspondence with the power set of {a1, a2, · · · , an}, resulting in the same number of elements.
Happyzor

Homework Statement

(a) Use induction to show that if n(A) = n then n(P(A)) = 2^n.

n(A) is the cardinality of set A.
P(A) is the power set of A.

Homework Equations

The answer is
We apply induction to prove the claim.
If n = 0 then A = null and in this case P(A) = {null}. Thus n(P(A)) = 1 = 2^0.
As induction hypothesis, suppose that if n(A) = n then n(P(A)) = 2^n. Let B = {a1, a2, · · · , an, an+1}. Then P(B) consists of all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} together with all subsets of
{a1, a2, · · · , an} with the element an+1 added to them. Hence, n(P(B)) =
2^n + 2^n = 2 · 2^n = 2^n+1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone explain the step

"Then P(B) consists of all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} together with all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} with the element an+1 added to them. "

Why is this the case? Shouldn't P(B) just all the subsets {a1,a2,...,an,an+1)? So that's the power set of {a1,a2,...,an} plus something else, but what is that something else?

The answer seems to say that the something else is all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} with the element an+1 and that is equal to 2^n but why is that the case? How do we know that it is equal to 2^n?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Happyzor! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
Happyzor said:
As induction hypothesis, suppose that if n(A) = n then n(P(A)) = 2^n. Let B = {a1, a2, · · · , an, an+1}. Then P(B) consists of all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an} together with all subsets of
{a1, a2, · · · , an} with the element an+1 added to them. Hence, n(P(B)) =
2^n + 2^n = 2 · 2^n = 2^n+1.

That's rather unclear.

I'd prefer to say:

P(B) consists of:
i] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an+1} which do include an+1
plus
ii] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an+1} which don't include an+1.

That's the same number as the number of:
i] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an}
plus
ii] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an}. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Happyzor! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

That's rather unclear.

I'd prefer to say:

P(B) consists of:
i] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an+1} which do include an+1
plus
ii] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an+1} which don't include an+1.

That's the same number as the number of:
i] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an}
plus
ii] all subsets of {a1, a2, · · · , an}. :wink:

Why are they both equal to 2n? I understand why n*P({a1, a2, · · · , an}) is equal to 2n but why is the other one also 2n? Thanks for your help.

Happyzor said:
Why are they both equal to 2n? I understand why n*P({a1, a2, · · · , an}) is equal to 2n but why is the other one also 2n? Thanks for your help.

the sets in i] all include an+1.

So each set in i] is of the form (A U {an+1}) where A is a subset of {a1, a2, · · · , an}.

Different sets in i] have different As, and every A corresponds to a set in i].

ie there's a one-to-one correspondence between the sets in i] and P({a1, a2, · · · , an})

ie they have the same number. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
the sets in i] all include an+1.

So each set in i] is of the form (A U {an+1}) where A is a subset of {a1, a2, · · · , an}.

Different sets in i] have different As, and every A corresponds to a set in i].

ie there's a one-to-one correspondence between the sets in i] and P({a1, a2, · · · , an})

ie they have the same number. :wink:

Thanks for your help. I didn't really understand what you meant, but I got help from someone else. I really appreciate it!

Related to Prove Power Set equation by Induction

1. What is the Power Set equation?

The Power Set equation, also known as the Powerset axiom, states that for any set A, the power set of A, denoted as P(A), is the set of all subsets of A, including the empty set and A itself.

2. What is induction in mathematics?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case, usually when n = 0 or 1, and then showing that if the statement holds for n, it also holds for n+1.

3. Why is induction used to prove the Power Set equation?

Induction is used because the Power Set equation is a statement that needs to be proven for all natural numbers, which can be represented by the size of a set. By using induction, we can prove that the equation holds for all possible sizes of sets, which is necessary for the Power Set equation to be true.

4. How is the Power Set equation proved by induction?

The Power Set equation can be proved by using mathematical induction on the size of the set. First, we prove that the equation holds for the base case, which is usually when the set is empty. Then, we assume that the equation holds for a set of size n, and use this assumption to prove that it also holds for a set of size n+1. This completes the induction step and proves the equation for all natural numbers.

5. What is the significance of proving the Power Set equation by induction?

Proving the Power Set equation by induction shows that the equation holds for all possible sizes of sets, which is a fundamental property of the power set. This has implications in various branches of mathematics, including set theory, combinatorics, and discrete mathematics.