Prove No Root in $(0,2)$ for $k^4-10k+k-3k^2$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a root of a polynomial equation is a value that makes the equation equal to zero. To prove that there is no root in the interval (0,2), we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem. A graphical representation of the polynomial equation would be a curve that does not intersect the x-axis within the interval (0,2). Proving no root in a given interval is important for understanding the behavior of the equation and can be applied to other polynomial equations.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that there is no root exists in the interval $(0,2)$ for a quartic function $k^4-10+k-3k^2$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sturm's theorem gives 0. But I have no intention of calculating here that with whole details as I have done in my notebook, so I simply leave it to someone else :D

anemone said:
Prove that there is no root exists in the interval $(0,2)$ for a quartic function $k^4-10+k-3k^2$.

My solution:

If we let $0<k<2$,

We have $k(k-2)<0$.Besides, we also have $k^3(k-2)<0$
Adding 1 to the inequality $0<k<2$ we get $1<k+1<3$.
Or simply $k+1>0$.

Thus,

$k(k-2)(k+1)<0$

$k^3-k^2-2k<0$

$k^3<k^2+2k$

$2k^3<2k^2+4k$ (*)
Expanding the inequality we get

$k^4-2k^3<0$

$k^4<2k^3$(**)

Merging these two inequalities (*) and (**) yields

$k^4<2k^2+4k$

$k^4-3k^2+k-10<-k^2+5k-10$

View attachment 1753

From the graph, we can tell $-k^2+5k-10<0$ for $0<k<2$, hence, $k^4-3k^2+k-10<0$ for $0<k<2$ and we can conclude there is no root exists in the interval $(0,2)$ for a quartic function $k^4-10+k-3k^2$.

Attachments

• Graph of a quadratic function.JPG
    Graph of a quadratic function.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 65
I have a slightly different approach.

$k^4 -10 + k - 3k^2$

Re-arrange ,

$f(k) = k^2(k^2 - 4) + (k^2 + k - 10)$

If we can show the function is negative for $0<k<2$ then we are done. This should be obvious from f(k) since both expressions within parenthesis are negative in the interval $0<k<2$ , therefore it cannot be 0 in that interval.

:D

agentmulder said:
I have a slightly different approach...

Hey agentmulder, thanks for participating!

I say your method is more straightforward and smarter than mine, well done!:cool:

Btw, would you mind to hide your solution? Thanks.:eek:

Related to Prove No Root in $(0,2)$ for $k^4-10k+k-3k^2$

1. Can you explain the concept of a root in a polynomial equation?

A root of a polynomial equation is a value that, when substituted into the equation, makes the equation equal to zero. In other words, it is a solution to the equation. In this case, the polynomial equation is k^4 - 10k + k - 3k^2.

2. How do you prove that there is no root in the interval (0,2)?

To prove that there is no root in the interval (0,2), we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous function changes sign over an interval, then it must have a root within that interval. However, since the given polynomial equation does not change sign over the interval (0,2), it has no root in that interval.

3. Can you provide a graphical representation of the polynomial equation?

Yes, a graphical representation (or graph) of the polynomial equation k^4 - 10k + k - 3k^2 would be a curve that does not intersect the x-axis within the interval (0,2). This indicates that there is no root in that interval.

4. What is the significance of proving that there is no root in the interval (0,2)?

Proving that there is no root in the interval (0,2) is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the polynomial equation. It tells us that the equation does not have any solutions within that interval, which can be useful in solving other problems or analyzing the equation further.

5. Is it possible to generalize this concept to other polynomial equations?

Yes, the concept of proving no root in a given interval can be applied to other polynomial equations as well. By understanding the behavior of the polynomial equation and using mathematical theorems, we can determine the existence or non-existence of roots in a given interval for various polynomial equations.