Prove Midpoint of Hyperbola Chord PQ is on Curve c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the equation c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0 may be solved by substituting the midpoints of P and Q in it.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

P(cp , c/q) and Q(cq , c/q) are two points on the curve xy=c2. Prove that the chord PQ has an equation pqy+x=c(p+q). A variable chord of the hyperbola xy=c2 subtends a right angle at the fixed point (a,0). Show that the midpoint of the chord lies on the curve c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to show that pqy+x=c(p+q) but failed to show that c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0. I tried by by substituting the midpoint of points P and Q into c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x) but that leads to a rather complicated equation for me... another thing i can get is that ((c/p)/(cp-a))((c/q)/(cq-a))=-1 but yet, it doesn't seems to help me a lot in solving this question... can anyone give me some hints and some explanations? Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
What are doing is correct. Just work a little more. Show that substituting the midpoints of P and Q in [itex]c^2(x^2+y^2)+axy(a-2x)=0[/itex] gives you exactly the condition

[tex]
\frac{c/p}{cp-a}.\frac{c/q}{cq-a} = -1
[/tex]

I still not managed to solve it... Can anyone help me...?

Michael_Light said:
I still not managed to solve it... Can anyone help me...?

Just substitute [itex]x = \frac{c}{2}(p+q), y = \frac{c}{2}\left(\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}\right)[/itex] in [itex]c^2(x^2+y^2)+axy(a-2x)=0[/itex]. You should get
[tex]
[/tex]

praharmitra said:
Just substitute [itex]x = \frac{c}{2}(p+q), y = \frac{c}{2}\left(\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}\right)[/itex] in [itex]c^2(x^2+y^2)+axy(a-2x)=0[/itex]. You should get
[tex]
[/tex]

Yea... I know... but by substituting [itex]x = \frac{c}{2}(p+q), y = \frac{c}{2}\left(\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}\right)[/itex] in [itex]c^2(x^2+y^2)+axy(a-2x)=0[/itex] , i get a very complicated equation which i failed to express it in the form [tex]\frac{c/p}{cp-a}.\frac{c/q}{cq-a} = -1[/tex]... Maybe i am missing something or there is some trick in solving this? :confused:

Related to Prove Midpoint of Hyperbola Chord PQ is on Curve c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section that is formed by the intersection of a plane with a double cone. It has two branches that are symmetric about the center point.

2. How is the midpoint of a hyperbola chord determined?

The midpoint of a hyperbola chord is determined by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of the two endpoints of the chord.

3. What is the equation for a hyperbola?

The general equation for a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center point and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

4. How is the midpoint of a hyperbola chord proven to be on the curve?

To prove that the midpoint of a hyperbola chord is on the curve, we substitute the coordinates of the midpoint into the equation of the hyperbola. If the equation holds true, then the midpoint is on the curve.

5. How is the equation c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0 related to the midpoint of a hyperbola chord?

The equation c2(x2+y2)+axy(a-2x)=0 represents the set of points that satisfy the condition of being the midpoint of a chord on the hyperbola. When the coordinates of the midpoint are substituted into the equation, it will equal to 0, proving that the midpoint is on the curve.