Prove Inequality: $f(x)$ Continuous Positive $\int_{0}^{1}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter lfdahl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the inequality of a positive and continuous function that satisfies a certain condition. The solution involves observing symmetry and reaching a step to achieve the desired inequality. The participant also mentions an alternative solution provided by a third party.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Let $f$ be a positive and continuous function on the real line which satisfies $f(x + 1) = f(x)$ for all numbers $x$.

Prove the inequality:

$$\int_{0}^{1}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})} \,dx \geq 1.$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By the Cauchy–Schwartz inequality for integrals,
$$\left(\int_0^1f(x)dx\right)^2\ \le\ \left(\int_0^1\frac{f(x)}{f\left(x+\frac12\right)}dx\right)^2\left(\int_0^1f\left(x+\frac12\right)dx\right)^2.$$
But $f(x)$ has period $1$ and so $\displaystyle\int_0^1f\left(x+\frac12\right)dx=\int_0^1f(x)dx$. The result follows.

Thankyou, Olinguito, for your participation and correct answer. Clever done!

An alternative solution:

\[\int_{0}^{1}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}dx + \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}dx \\ = \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}dx+\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}{f(x+1)}dx \\= \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}dx+\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}{f(x)}dx \\= \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left ( \frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}+\frac{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}{f(x)} \right )dx \\
\geq \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} 2\sqrt{\frac{f(x)}{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}\cdot \frac{f(x+\frac{1}{2})}{f(x)} }dx \\=2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}dx = 1.\]

lfdahl said:
[sp]Beautiful solution! I observed this symmetry but didn't reach the step where you achieve the inequality.[/sp]

June29 said:
[sp]Beautiful solution! I observed this symmetry but didn't reach the step where you achieve the inequality.[/sp]
I believe lfdahl is using the fact that for any real, non-negative $X,Y$,
$$X+Y\ \ge\ 2\sqrt{XY}.$$
This comes from the AM–GM inequality, or alternatively from $\left(\sqrt X-\sqrt Y\right)^2\ge0$.

Olinguito said:
I believe lfdahl is using the fact that for any real, non-negative $X,Y$,
$$X+Y\ \ge\ 2\sqrt{XY}.$$
This comes from the AM–GM inequality, or alternatively from $\left(\sqrt X-\sqrt Y\right)^2\ge0$.
[sp]I know. I was talking about my own attempt to solve the problem prior to seeing lfdahl's solution.[/sp]

June29 said:
[sp]I know. I was talking about my own attempt to solve the problem prior to seeing lfdahl's solution.[/sp]

Please note: The alternative solution is from a 3rd party and not mine. Maybe, I should have pointed this out from the start. I´m sorry for the confusion.

Related to Prove Inequality: $f(x)$ Continuous Positive $\int_{0}^{1}$

1. What is an inequality in mathematical terms?

An inequality is a statement that compares two quantities or expressions and shows that one is less than, greater than, or not equal to the other.

2. How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that the statement is always true for all values of the variables. This can be done algebraically by manipulating the expressions or by using mathematical laws and properties.

3. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if it has no breaks, holes, or jumps in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

4. How can you prove that a function is positive?

To prove that a function is positive, you must show that the output or range of values is always greater than zero for all possible inputs. This can be done by using the properties of positive numbers and algebraic manipulations.

5. What is the significance of $\int_{0}^{1}$ in the inequality?

The notation $\int_{0}^{1}$ represents the definite integral of a function from 0 to 1. In the context of the given inequality, it means that the function is being evaluated over the interval from 0 to 1. This integral is used to determine the area under the curve of the function, which is important for proving the inequality.