Prove f(x) is differentiable at x=1 where f(x)=2x^2 x=<1, =4x-1 x>1

In summary: It's a partwise defined function, all you need to do is show that the function and the derivative are continuous.
sara_87
prove f(x) is differentiable at x=1:
f(x)=2x^2 x(less than or equal to)1
4x-1 x>1

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean:
d/dx:= d/dx(2x^2x) * d/dx(2x) ala function of a function?

i'm probably wrong.

no, i mean it's in piecewise form with the big curly brackets

You Mean Integration.

Argh, My Integration is Rusty.
its the opposite of Differentiation.

so 2x would be x^2
2x^2x ...i don't know, because its F(X)^G(X).

You need to hear from somebody else on this.

yeah i think i do need to hear from somebody else on this cos u didnt understand the question ;)
i have to prove that it is differentiable at x=1 it has nothing to do with integration.
thanks anyway

The derivative of a function at a point can be expressed as the limit of an expression. You should be able to get two limits; one for each branch of the function. If these are the same, then the function is differentiable at x=1.

It's amazing how complicated one can make a question when it is meant to be simple. (Not meant to the OP.)

cristo said:
The derivative of a function at a point can be expressed as the limit of an expression. You should be able to get two limits; one for each branch of the function. If these are the same, then the function is differentiable at x=1.

thanx v much i think i can do it now.

You might also want to check that it is continuous. For example,
[tex]f(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{rl}
0 & \text{ if } x \le 0 \\
1 & \text{ if } x > 0
\end{array}
[/tex]
will give you 0 for the derivative when approaching from the left or right to zero, though at x = 0 the function is not continuous at all.

Last edited:
PhY said:
You Mean Integration.

so 2x would be x^2

No, he meant differentiation. Determine whether
[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} 2x^2 & \text{ if } x \le 1 \\ 4x-1 & \text{ if } x > 1 \end{array}[/tex]
is differentiable at x= 1

Compuchip's suggestion is etremely good here: a function can't be differentiable if it is't continuous at the point! What is the limit of f as you approach 1 from the left? What is the limit as you approach from the right?

PhY said:
Or more precisely, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int^x_a f(t) dt = f(x)[/tex] where a is a constant. "The Opposite of differentiation" is what people told me before I started integral calculus as well, and it screwed up my understanding a heap load.

Just in case you want to know, you let y=2x, and express the remaining integral in terms of the exponential and logarithmic functions.

I still don't see why you would want to do integration.
It's a partwise defined function, all you need to do is show that the function and the derivative are continuous.

Related to Prove f(x) is differentiable at x=1 where f(x)=2x^2 x=<1, =4x-1 x>1

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point, which represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How do you prove that a function is differentiable at a specific point?

To prove that a function is differentiable at a specific point, we need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (the difference between the function value at a point and a nearby point, divided by the distance between the two points) exists as the distance between the two points approaches zero. In other words, we need to show that the function is continuous and has a well-defined derivative at that point.

3. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. A function must be continuous at a point in order for the limit of the difference quotient to exist and for the function to have a well-defined derivative at that point.

4. What is the difference between a function being differentiable and being continuously differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at a point, while a function is continuously differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. In other words, a continuously differentiable function is also differentiable, but the converse is not necessarily true.

5. How do you prove that a specific function is differentiable at a specific point?

To prove that a specific function is differentiable at a specific point, we can use the definition of differentiability and apply the limit definition of the derivative. We need to show that the difference quotient approaches a finite value as the distance between the two points approaches zero. We can also use the rules of differentiation to show that the function has a well-defined derivative at that point.