Prove $\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}\ge 1$ with Algebra Challenge

In summary, the variables in the inequality are defined as real numbers with positive denominators and numerators. The "Algebra Challenge" serves as a reminder to use algebraic manipulation to prove the inequality. Other methods such as calculus or geometric proofs can also be used. A strategy to prove the inequality is to simplify the fractions and combine them into a single expression, then use algebraic manipulation to show it is greater than or equal to 1. To check your work, you can substitute values or use a graphing calculator.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $a,\,b,\,c$ and $d$ be positive real numbers such that $(a^2+b^2)^3=c^2+d^2$, prove that $\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}\ge 1$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality

My solution:

Apply the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to the sum of $a^2+b^2$, we have:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2=\sqrt{a}\sqrt{a^3}+\sqrt{b}\sqrt{b^3}=\frac{\sqrt{c}\sqrt{a}\sqrt{a^3}}{\sqrt{c}}+\frac{\sqrt{d}\sqrt{b}\sqrt{b^3}}{\sqrt{d}}\le \sqrt{ac+bd}\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}}\)

Now we rearrange it to make \(\displaystyle \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}\) on the LHS of the inequality, we see that we get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}\ge\frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{ac+bd}\)(*)

Using again the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to the sum of $ac+bd$ we have:

\(\displaystyle ac+bd\le\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sqrt{c^2+d^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}\therefore \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}&\ge\frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{ac+bd}\\&\ge \frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sqrt{c^2+d^2}}\\&\ge \frac{(a^2+b^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{(c^2+d^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}\\&\ge \left(\frac{(a^2+b^2)^3}{(c^2+d^2)}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}\\&\ge 1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\text{(Q.E.D.)}\end{align*}\)

anemone said:
Let $a,\,b,\,c$ and $d$ be positive real numbers such that $(a^2+b^2)^3=c^2+d^2---(1)$, prove that $\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}\ge 1$.
my solution :
using $AP\geq GP$
$\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}=\dfrac{a^3d+b^3c}{cd}\geq \dfrac{2a^3d}{cd}=\dfrac{2a^3}{c}---(2)$
equality occurs when $a^3d=b^3c (\,\, that \,\ is :\ a=b\,\,and\,\, c=d)$
if so $(1)$ becomes:$8a^6=2c^2$ ,or $a^3=\dfrac {c}{2}$
and $(2)$ becomes:
$\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}=\dfrac{a^3d+b^3c}{cd}\geq \dfrac{2a^3}{c}=1$

Re: Albert's solution.

Albert said:

I don't think $a^3d=b^3c$ implies $a=b$ and $c=d$. Consider $2^3\cdot8$ and $4^3\cdot1$.

greg1313 said:
Re: Albert's solution.

I don't think $a^3d=b^3c$ implies $a=b$ and $c=d$. Consider $2^3\cdot8$ and $4^3\cdot1$.

consider $a^2+b^2$ when $a=b$ minimun of $a^2+b^2$ occurs
also consider $c^2+d^2$ when $c=d$ minimun of $c^2+d^2$ occurs
and more if $a=2,b=4,c=1,d=8$
$(a^2+b^2)^3=c^2+d^2$ does not fit

Last edited by a moderator:
anemone said:
My solution:

Apply the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to the sum of $a^2+b^2$, we have:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2=\sqrt{a}\sqrt{a^3}+\sqrt{b}\sqrt{b^3}=\frac{\sqrt{c}\sqrt{a}\sqrt{a^3}}{\sqrt{c}}+\frac{\sqrt{d}\sqrt{b}\sqrt{b^3}}{\sqrt{d}}\le \sqrt{ac+bd}\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}}\)

Now we rearrange it to make \(\displaystyle \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}\) on the LHS of the inequality, we see that we get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}\ge\frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{ac+bd}\)(*)

Using again the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to the sum of $ac+bd$ we have:

\(\displaystyle ac+bd\le\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sqrt{c^2+d^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}\therefore \frac{a^3}{c}+\frac{b^3}{d}&\ge\frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{ac+bd}\\&\ge \frac{(a^2+b^2)^2}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sqrt{c^2+d^2}}\\&\ge \frac{(a^2+b^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{(c^2+d^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}\\&\ge \left(\frac{(a^2+b^2)^3}{(c^2+d^2)}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}\\&\ge 1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\text{(Q.E.D.)}\end{align*}\)

I didn't know where my head was the time I composed my solution as I didn't include the condition when the equality occurs...sorry about it!

In my solution, equality occurs when \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{c}=\frac{b}{d}\).

Albert said:
my solution :
using $AP\geq GP$
$\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}=\dfrac{a^3d+b^3c}{cd}\geq \dfrac{2a^3d}{cd}=\dfrac{2a^3}{c}---(2)$
if so $(1)$ becomes:$8a^6=2c^2$ ,or $a^3=\dfrac {c}{2}$
and $(2)$ becomes:
$\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}=\dfrac{a^3d+b^3c}{cd}\geq \dfrac{2a^3}{c}=1$

Hi Albert,

Albeit it's true that equality occurs when $a=b,\,c=d$ but I don't see how we could provide the airtight proof from $a^3d=b^3c$ and $(a^2+b^2)^3=c^2+d^2$ with the conclusion that $a=b$ and $c=d$...

anemone said:
Hi Albert,

Albeit it's true that equality occurs when $a=b,\,c=d$ but I don't see how we could provide the airtight proof from $a^3d=b^3c$ and $(a^2+b^2)^3=c^2+d^2$ with the conclusion that $a=b$ and $c=d$...
$if \,a=b,\,\, then \\
\dfrac{8a^6}{2c^2}=\dfrac{c^2+d^2}{2c^2}\\
\therefore \dfrac{2a^3}{c}=\sqrt{\dfrac{c^2+d^2}{2c^2}}\geq\sqrt{\dfrac{2c
^2}{2c^2}}=1$
equality occurs when $c=d$

Related to Prove $\dfrac{a^3}{c}+\dfrac{b^3}{d}\ge 1$ with Algebra Challenge

1. How do you define the variables in the inequality?

The variables in the inequality are typically defined as follows:
a, b, c, and d are real numbers with c and d being positive.
a and c are the numerators of the fractions, while b and d are the denominators.

2. What is the purpose of the "Algebra Challenge" in the inequality?

The "Algebra Challenge" serves as a reminder that algebraic manipulation and properties can be used to prove the given inequality.

3. Can the inequality be proven using other methods besides algebra?

Yes, the inequality can also be proven using other mathematical techniques such as calculus or geometric proofs. However, algebra is typically the most straightforward approach in this case.

4. Is there a specific strategy to use when proving this inequality?

Yes, one strategy that can be used is to start by simplifying each fraction and then combining them to create a single expression. Then, algebraic manipulation can be used to prove that the expression is greater than or equal to 1.

5. How can I check my work when attempting to prove this inequality?

One way to check your work is to substitute specific values for the variables and see if the inequality still holds. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to graph the expression and see if it is always greater than or equal to 1.