Prove cos (π/100) is irrational

In summary, the conversation discusses providing a proof for the irrationality of $\cos \frac{\pi}{100}$, with one participant offering a quick and cheap proof before resuming their homework. Another participant apologizes for making an inappropriate statement and provides their own solution for the proof.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that $\cos \dfrac{\pi}{100}$ is irrational.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a really cheap proof, probably not what you're looking for, but something quick before I resume my homework :p

To prove that it is irrational, I will show that $\cos \dfrac{\pi}{100}$ can be expressed as a sum of two addends, one of which is irrational. It can be proven that if an addend is irrational, then the sum is also irrational. I will use the identity $\cos\left({A-B}\right)=2\cos\left({A}\right)\cos\left({B}\right)+(-\cos\left({A+B}\right))$.
Solving the two equations $A-B=\frac{\pi}{100}$ and $A+B=\frac{\pi}{4}$, then:$$\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{100}}\right)=\cos\left({\frac{13\pi}{100}-\frac{3\pi}{25}}\right)=2\cos\left({\frac{13\pi}{100}}\right)\cos\left({\frac{3\pi}{25}}\right)+(-\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right))$$

Since $\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right)$ is irrational (also can be proven), $\cos \dfrac{\pi}{100}$ is too.

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Here is a really cheap proof, probably not what you're looking for, but something quick before I resume my homework :p

To prove that it is irrational, I will show that $\cos \dfrac{\pi}{100}$ can be expressed as a sum of two addends, one of which is irrational. It can be proven that if an addend is irrational, then the sum is also irrational. I will use the identity $\cos\left({A-B}\right)=2\cos\left({A}\right)\cos\left({B}\right)+(-\cos\left({A+B}\right))$.
Solving the two equations $A-B=\frac{\pi}{100}$ and $A+B=\frac{\pi}{4}$, then:$$\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{100}}\right)=\cos\left({\frac{13\pi}{100}-\frac{3\pi}{25}}\right)=2\cos\left({\frac{13\pi}{100}}\right)\cos\left({\frac{3\pi}{25}}\right)+(-\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right))$$

Since $\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right)$ is irrational (also can be proven), $\cos \dfrac{\pi}{100}$ is too.

This is exactly the elegant proof that I am looking for! Well done, Rido12, and thanks for participating! :cool:

Rido12 said:

I cannot agree on this.

We know that $\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right)$ is irrational but we do not know

$2\cos\left({\frac{13\pi}{100}}\right)\cos\left({\frac{3\pi}{25}}\right)$

may be this is irrational and the irrational part cancells the irrational part of $\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{4}}\right)$

we need to prove that above is not true

Here I provide solution
as $\cos 2x =2\cos^2x-1$

so if
$\cos\, x$ is rational then $\cos 2x$ is rational

now

$\cos (n+1) x + \cos(n-1)x =2\cos\,nx\cos \, x$

hence
$\cos (n+1) x =2\cos\,nx\cos \ x- \cos(n-1)x ..\cdots(1)$

from (1) if $\cos\,x$ , $\cos\,nx$ , $\cos(n-1)x$ are rational then $\cos (n+1) x$ is rational

we have shown that if $\cos\,x$ is rational then
$\cos\,2x$ is rational and from (1) using n = 2 we can show that $\cos\,3x$ is rational so on
$\cos\,nx$ is rational for all n

now

$x=\dfrac{\pi}{100}$
letting n= 25

we get $\cos\dfrac{\pi}{4}$ is rational which is a contradiction as $\cos\dfrac{\pi}{4}$ being $\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$ is not

so $\cos\dfrac{\pi}{100}$ is irrational

I'm disappointed in myself and I apologize to the community for my temporary lack of attention and I apologize too for making the inappropriate statement. :(

However, here is a solution of other that I want to share with MHB:

Let $a=\cos \left(\dfrac{\pi}{100}\right)$ and $b=\sin \left(\dfrac{\pi}{100}\right)$.

Then from the Pythagorean identity, we have

$a^2+b^2=1$

$b^2=1-a^2$

Using De Moivre's Theorem and the Binomial Theorem, we have

\(\displaystyle
\begin{align*}\cos \left(\dfrac{\pi}{4}\right)&=\text{Re}(a+ib)^{25}\\&=\text{Re}\sum_{k=0}^{25}{25 \choose k}i^kb^ka^{25-k}\\&=\sum_{m=0}^{12}{25 \choose 2m}(-1)^m(1-a^2)^ma^{25-2m}\\&\end{align*}\)

If $a$ were rational, then each term on the RHS would be rational as well, contradicting the fact that $\cos \left(\dfrac{\pi}{4}\right)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$ is irrational.

Therefore $\cos \left(\dfrac{\pi}{100}\right)$ is irrational.

Related to Prove cos (π/100) is irrational

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a simple fraction and its decimal representation never ends or repeats in a pattern.

2. What is the value of cos (π/100)?

The value of cos (π/100) is approximately 0.99995000.

3. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

To prove that a number is irrational, we must show that it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This can be done through various methods such as proof by contradiction or using the definition of irrational numbers.

4. What is the significance of proving cos (π/100) is irrational?

Proving that cos (π/100) is irrational is significant because it adds to our understanding of the nature of irrational numbers and their relationship to trigonometric functions. It also has implications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and geometry.

5. What are some key steps in proving that cos (π/100) is irrational?

Some key steps in proving that cos (π/100) is irrational include showing that the angle π/100 is a rational multiple of π, using the definition of cos to express it as a ratio of sides in a triangle, and then using proof by contradiction to show that this ratio cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.