Prove by method of contradiction

In summary, by assuming that |x-2|+|x-3|=1/2 and using the triangle inequality, we can show that the sum can never be equal to 1/2. This contradicts the initial statement and proves that there is no real number x that satisfies the equation.
agent1594

Homework Statement

Using the method of contradiction prove the following.

There's no real number x such that |x-2|+|x-3|=1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the least possible value that LHS can take is 1. That is when x=2.5 which is the middle value of 2 and 3. Then the LHS≥1. So LHS=1/2 can not happen.
But I have no idea how to write a proof by contradiction for this. If it was given as |x-2|+|x-3|=0, I can how to prove it as follows,
Suppose x is a real number. ------------------------------(1)
Since |x-2|>o and |x-3|>0, |x-2|+|x-3|>o -----------(2)
But |x-2|+|x-3|=0
This is a contradiction by (2)
So there is no real number x such that |x-2|+|x-3|=0
QED​
But for the one given, I have no idea. Please help me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of ways to do this. First, you can note that, if we did not have the absolute value signs, then we could do algebraic manipulation of the equation. So we could consider the 3 cases: ##x<2##; ##2\leq x < 3##; and ##x\geq 3##. For instance, if ##x\geq 3## then ##|x-2|=x-2## and ##|x-3| = x-3##. We can then solve the equation that was assumed to be true for ##x##.

Second, we can use the positivity argument that you use above, but now for ##|x-3| = -|x-2| + 1/2##. Here we need to consider the bounds on ##|x-2|## and what they imply for the bounds on ##|x-3|##. You then have to check compatibility with the equation that is assumed.

agent1594 said:

Homework Statement

Using the method of contradiction prove the following.

There's no real number x such that |x-2|+|x-3|=1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the least possible value that LHS can take is 1. That is when x=2.5 which is the middle value of 2 and 3. Then the LHS≥1. So LHS=1/2 can not happen.
But I have no idea how to write a proof by contradiction for this. If it was given as |x-2|+|x-3|=0, I can how to prove it as follows,
Suppose x is a real number. ------------------------------(1)
Since |x-2|>0 and |x-3|>0, |x-2|+|x-3|>o -----------(2)
But |x-2|+|x-3|=0
This is a contradiction by (2)
So there is no real number x such that |x-2|+|x-3|=0
QED​
But for the one given, I have no idea. Please help me.

Thanks.
First of all: The instructions say to use the method of contradiction . You have not used that. -- not in your attempt. -- not in your example for a slightly easier problem..

By the way: Your proof for that simpler case, namely: for showing that there is no solution to |x-2|+|x-3|=0 , is flawed.
|x-2|≥0 and |x-3|≥0
Weak rather than strong inequalities should be used . This makes your proof fall apart.​

I think they want you to use the triangle inequality: |a| + |b| >= |a+b|

Your LHS is the sum of two absolute values, just like in the triangle inequality. If you play around with the signs of a and b you can find a combination that makes |a+b|=1, so the triangle inequality will then contradict the assertion that |a|+|b|=1/2.

Remember that |x-3| = |x -2 -1|.
If you assume that |x-2|+|x-3| = 1/2, then clearly, since both are positive,
|x-2| <= 1/2
What does that tell you about |x-3|?
Can the sum ever be 1/2?
That's where you will find the contradiction.

Related to Prove by method of contradiction

What is the method of contradiction?

The method of contradiction is a proof technique in mathematics and logic where one assumes the opposite of what is to be proven and then shows that this leads to a contradiction. This proves that the original assumption must be true.

How is the method of contradiction different from other proof techniques?

The method of contradiction is different from other proof techniques because it relies on showing that the opposite of what is to be proven leads to a contradiction, rather than directly proving the original statement.

When should the method of contradiction be used?

The method of contradiction should be used when a direct proof is not possible or when the original statement seems difficult to prove directly. It can also be used when the statement to be proven has a negative form, as this can often lead to a contradiction.

What are the steps for using the method of contradiction?

The steps for using the method of contradiction are: 1) Assume the opposite of what is to be proven. 2) Use logical reasoning and any given information to arrive at a contradiction. 3) Conclude that the original assumption must be true. 4) Use this to prove the original statement.

Are there any limitations to the method of contradiction?

Yes, the method of contradiction is not always applicable and may not lead to a proof in all cases. It also requires careful and logical reasoning to arrive at a contradiction, which can be challenging for more complex statements. Additionally, it may not provide any insight into why the original statement is true, only that it cannot be false.