Solving an Intricate Integral: \int 6t(1-2t^2)^{-1/2} dt

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
C or -3√(1-2t2)/2 + C.In summary, the conversation discussed how to simplify and solve the given integral using substitution and algebraic manipulation. The final solution is -3√(1-2t2)/2 + C.
tandoorichicken
heres a funky one I can't do
[tex]
\int \frac{6t \,dt}{\sqrt{1-2t^2}}
[/tex]

here's what I've done
I changed it so it looks like this:
[tex]
\int 6t(1-2t^2)^{-1/2} dt
[/tex]
Then I substituted u for 1-2t^2 and got du= -4t*dt
Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Take 6 as 4 * 1.5 and put [tex](1-2t^2) = u [/tex] so that [tex]4tdt[/tex] becomes [tex]du[/tex]. Then you can proceed normally. The integral now contains [tex]1.5*u^{-1/2}du[/tex].

Sridhar

Last edited:
Rather than "seeing" that 6= 4*1.5,

Another way to look at this is: taking u to be 1-2t2 so that du= -4tdt, then tdt= -(1/4)du and 6tdt/√(1-2t2) becomes
6(-1/4)du/u1/2= (-3/2)u-1/2du

1. How do I approach solving an intricate integral?

First, identify the type of integral you are dealing with. In this case, it is a definite integral with a rational function involving a square root. Next, use substitution or integration by parts to simplify the integral. In this specific example, substitution using the trigonometric identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 can help simplify the expression.

2. What is the purpose of the substitution method in solving this integral?

The substitution method is used to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate. By replacing the variable with a new one, the integral can be transformed into a more manageable form. In this example, substituting u = 1-2t^2 helps to eliminate the square root and make the integral more solvable.

3. Can I solve this integral without using substitution or integration by parts?

Yes, there are various methods for solving integrals such as partial fractions, trigonometric substitutions, and the use of special functions. However, in some cases, substitution or integration by parts may be the most efficient approach.

4. How do I know if I have solved the integral correctly?

To check if you have solved the integral correctly, you can differentiate the result and see if it matches the original function. In this case, the derivative of the solution should equal the integrand, 6t(1-2t^2)^(-1/2). You can also use online integral calculators to verify your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving intricate integrals like this one?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving intricate integrals: 1) Familiarize yourself with different integration techniques, 2) Try different approaches if one method does not work, 3) Practice, practice, practice, and 4) Use online resources or consult with a mathematics tutor for assistance.