Prove a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

In summary, the homework statement is that vectors A, B, and C are vectors from the origin to the points a, b, and c respectively, and the vector D is defined as (AxB)+(BxC)+(CxA) where D is perpendicular to the plane in which the points A, B, and C lie. I tried writing everything out doing the det of each cross product to find anything to cancel without any luck. I also understand that if a b and c are points lying on a plane, then crossing each of these vectors AxB, BxC, and CxA should give me a vector perpendicular to that plane...how do I show this mathmatically? Thanks for the help.
dangsy

Homework Statement

Vectors A, B and C are vectors from the origin to the points a, b, c respectively, and the Vector D is defined as

D= (AxB)+(BxC)+(CxA)

Show that D is Perpendicular to the plane in which the points A, B, and C lie

Homework Equations

Cross Product

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing everything out doing the Det of each Cross product to find anything to cancel without any luck.

I also understand that if a b and c are points lying on a plane, then crossing each of these vectors AxB, BxC, and CxA should give me a vector perpendicular to that plane...how do I show this mathmatically?

Thanks for the help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Couple of things I suppose. The dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero. so D dotted into the vector from A to B or B to C or C to A etc. should all be zero. Do you know the vector equation of a plane?

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Couple of things I suppose. The dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero. so D dotted into the vector from A to B or B to C or C to A etc. should all be zero. Do you know the vector equation of a plane?

n . (r->p) = 0

if n is the normal vector ( D in this case I think )
r and p are the points in the plane ( A->B, B->C, C->A)

I'm still not understanding how it relates =(

Hi dangsy, a shortcut (if it's allowed by your teacher)!

Three points always lie in a plane -- that we know. Chose the point 'a' as the origin.

Then A = 0, which gives,

D = BXC, which we know is perp to the plane.

Let [tex]\overrightarrow{n}[/tex]= Normal vector of the plane where points a, b and c lie on.

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\overrightarrow{n} &= \overrightarrow{ab}\ x\ \overrightarrow{bc}
\\
&= (\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ (\overrightarrow{C} - \overrightarrow{B})
\\
&= [(\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ \overrightarrow{C}] - [(\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ \vec{B}]
\\
&= [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})\ - (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})] \ -\ [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})\ - (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})]
\\
&= [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})\ + (\overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A})] \ +\ (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})]
\\
&=(\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})\ + (\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C}) \ +\ (\overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A})

\ Note\ that: -(\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C}) = \overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A}\ and \ \overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B} = \overrightarrow{0}
\\
&=\overrightarrow{D}
\\
&\overrightarrow{n} = \overrightarrow{D}
\\
&\ which\ means\ \overrightarrow{n} \ is \ parallel \ with\ \overrightarrow{D}
\\
&\overrightarrow{n}\ is \ perpendicular \ to \ the \ plane.\ Therefore,\ \overrightarrow{D} \ is\ also \ perpendicular\ to \ the \ plane.
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

This Latex is extremely difficult to use.

Last edited:

Related to Prove a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

1. How do you determine if a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

In order for a vector to be perpendicular to a plane, the dot product of the vector and the normal vector of the plane must equal 0. This means that the angle between the vector and the normal vector is 90 degrees, making them perpendicular.

2. What is a normal vector of a plane?

A normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to every vector within the plane. It can be found by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in the plane.

3. Can a vector be perpendicular to multiple planes?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to multiple planes as long as the dot product of the vector and the normal vector of each plane is equal to 0.

4. How do you prove that a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

To prove that a vector is perpendicular to a plane, you can calculate the dot product of the vector and the normal vector of the plane. If the result is 0, then the vector is perpendicular to the plane.

5. Can a vector lying in a plane be perpendicular to that plane?

No, a vector lying in a plane cannot be perpendicular to that plane. In order for a vector to be perpendicular to a plane, it must be perpendicular to every vector within the plane, which is not possible if it is also lying in the plane.