Prove a sum is a composite number

In summary, the given equation $ps=q^2+qr+r^2$ holds for positive integers $p,q,r,s$. We want to prove that the expression $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2$ is a composite number. It is necessary to show that $p-q-r+s \ne 1$. Otherwise, the equation becomes $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2 = p+q+r+s$, which can only hold for positive integers if $p=q=r=s=1$. But in that case, the equation $ps = q^2+qr+r^2$ does not hold. Therefore, $p-q-r+s \ne 1$, completing the proof
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
For positive integers $p,\,q,\,r,\,s$ such that $ps=q^2+qr+r^2$, prove that $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2$ is a composite number.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

From the given:

\(\displaystyle ps=q^2+qr+r^2\)

We obtain:

\(\displaystyle q^2+r^2=2ps-(q+r)^2\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2=p^2+2ps+s^2-(q+r)^2=(p+s)^2-(q+r)^2=(p+q+r+s)(p-q-r+s)\)

Which shows the given expression is composite.

Nice one, MarkFL! Thanks for participating too. :)

if one talks of algebraic expression being composite I agree but if one talks of the number being composite this is not correct as one of the factors could be 1

kaliprasad said:
if one talks of algebraic expression being composite I agree but if one talks of the number being composite this is not correct as one of the factors could be 1
That possibility is easily eliminated. If $p-q-r+s = 1$ then the equation becomes $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2 = p+q+r+s$. That can only hold for positive integers if $p=q=r=s=1$. But in that case the equation $ps = q^2+qr+r^2$ does not hold.

Opalg said:
That possibility is easily eliminated. If $p-q-r+s = 1$ then the equation becomes $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2 = p+q+r+s$. That can only hold for positive integers if $p=q=r=s=1$. But in that case the equation $ps = q^2+qr+r^2$ does not hold.

addition of above completes the proof. IN other words this was the missing link. Thanks Opalg

Opalg said:

Thanks Opalg to the rescue.:eek:

Another method (I'll admit that I overlooked the necessity to show that $p-q-r+s \ne 1$, as I thought that was quite obvious and now after pondering about it, I owed MHB a good and solid reason why $p-q-r+s \ne 1$).

We will prove it by contradiction.

Suppose $p+s = 1+q+r$ Then squaring it and using the fact $ps = q^2+qr+r^2$ twice gives

$p^2+s^2+(q-1)^2+(r-1)^2=1$

However, since $p^2+s^2 \ge 2$, we have reached to a contradiction.

Therefore, $p-q-r+s \ge 2$ and $p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2$ is composite.

Related to Prove a sum is a composite number

1. What is a composite number?

A composite number is a positive integer that has more than two factors. In other words, it can be divided evenly by numbers other than 1 and itself. Examples of composite numbers include 4, 6, 8, and 10.

2. How do you prove that a sum is a composite number?

To prove that a sum is a composite number, you need to show that it has more than two factors. This can be done by finding two or more numbers that evenly divide the sum. If the sum can be divided by at least three numbers (not including 1 and itself), then it is a composite number.

3. Can a sum of two prime numbers be a composite number?

No, a sum of two prime numbers will always be a prime number itself. This is because prime numbers only have two factors (1 and itself), so adding two prime numbers will not result in any additional factors.

4. What is an example of a sum that is a composite number?

An example of a sum that is a composite number is 12. It can be divided evenly by 2, 3, 4, and 6, in addition to 1 and itself. Therefore, it has more than two factors and is considered a composite number.

5. Are there any shortcuts or formulas for proving a sum is a composite number?

There are several techniques for determining if a number is prime or composite, but there is no universal shortcut or formula for proving a sum is a composite number. The best approach is to try dividing the sum by different numbers and see if there are more than two factors. If so, the sum is composite.