Prove ∠A≤60° if (1/sinB+1/sinC)(−sinA+sinB+sinC)=2

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, Opalg provides a solution to an unsolved challenge which states that in a triangle, the angle at the vertex opposite the longest side is less than 60 degrees.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hello MHB,

This is the first of our "Unsolved challenge" threads, it is a challenge which I found pretty interesting but yet I still couldn't crack it. The posting of this challenge here is meant for you to have a fun attempt at it, but if you choose to attempt it, please don't get frustrated if you can't solve it...we'll just have to wait and see if someone can provide a solution, because as the title of the thread indicates, it is an unsolved challenge! :)

I won't beat around the bush any longer, please allow me to present one of such interesting yet unsolved challenge to you all now:

In a triangle $ABC$, the angles $A$, $B$ and $C$ satisfy the following equation:

$\left(\dfrac{1}{\sin B}+\dfrac{1}{\sin C}\right)(-\sin A+\sin B+\sin C)=2$

Prove that $\angle A \le 60^\circ$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]Start with a bit of calculus. If $0<b\leqslant c$ and $f(x) = x(b+c-x)$, then $f(x) \geqslant bc$ whenever $b\leqslant x\leqslant c.$ The reason for that is that the (parabolic) function $f$ has its maximum at $x = \frac12(b+c)$, which lies inside the interval $[b,c]$. The minimum value of $f$ therefore lies at one of the endpoints of the interval. But $f(b) = f(c) = bc$, so that $bc$ is the minimum. [The condition $b\leqslant c$ is actually irrelevant. The result applies equally well if $b\geqslant c$, except that the interval is then $[c,b]$.]

Now let $ABC$ be a triangle, and let $a,b,c$ be the lengths of the sides opposite the respective vertices. Given that $\left(\frac{1}{\sin B}+\frac{1}{\sin C}\right)(-\sin A+\sin B+\sin C)=2$, multiply through by $\sin B\sin C$ to get $$(\sin B + \sin C)(-\sin A+\sin B+\sin C)=2\sin B\sin C,$$ $$(\sin B+\sin C)^2 - \sin A(\sin B+\sin C) = 2\sin B\sin C,$$ $$\sin^2B + \sin^2 C = \sin A(\sin B+\sin C).$$ By the sine rule, each sine is proportional to the length of the corresponding side, so that last equation is equivalent to $$b^2 + c^2 = a(b+c).$$ If that is written as $b(b-a) + c(c-a) = 0,$ it is clear that the terms on the left side must have opposite signs, so that $a$ must lie between $b$ and $c$.

Also, it follows from the cosine rule that $b^2 + c^2 = a^2 + 2bc\cos A.$ Therefore $a^2 + 2bc\cos A = a(b+c)$ and so $$\cos A = \frac{a(b+c-a)}{2bc}.$$ But $a$ lies between $b$ and $c$, so it follows from the calculus result above that $a(b+c-a) \geqslant bc.$ Thus $\cos A \geqslant \frac12$ and therefore $^\angle A \leqslant 60^\circ.$

[/sp]

I can only say thank you, Opalg, for your so insightful and intelligent solution! (Sun)(Cool)

Related to Prove ∠A≤60° if (1/sinB+1/sinC)(−sinA+sinB+sinC)=2

1. How can I prove that ∠A≤60° if (1/sinB+1/sinC)(−sinA+sinB+sinC)=2?

The inequality ∠A≤60° can be proven by using the given equation and the properties of trigonometric functions.

2. What is the significance of the equation (1/sinB+1/sinC)(−sinA+sinB+sinC)=2 in proving ∠A≤60°?

The given equation is a representation of the Law of Sines, which states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of its opposite side is constant for all angles in a triangle. This will be used in proving the inequality.

3. Can I use the Law of Cosines to prove ∠A≤60° in this equation?

No, the Law of Cosines is not applicable in this case as it only applies to right triangles. The given equation involves a general triangle with no specific angle measurement.

4. How do I know if my proof of ∠A≤60° is correct?

You can use the properties of trigonometric functions and basic algebra to verify the steps of your proof. You can also check your answer by substituting different values for the angles in the equation and seeing if it holds true for all cases.

5. Are there any alternative methods to prove ∠A≤60° in this equation?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the properties of triangles, the Law of Cosines, or the Law of Tangents. However, the given equation provides a straightforward approach to proving the inequality.