How can you accurately measure your weight on Jupiter without a solid surface?

In summary: A scale normally measures the force perpendicular to its surface, so if you hung from it, it would measure the force you exert on it, which is equal to your weight.In summary, the question is asking how one can weigh themselves on Jupiter, given that it has no solid surface. The solution involves using a special space-craft that is motionless relative to Jupiter's atmosphere and adjusting the altitude to counteract the gravitational acceleration. Another solution is to hang from a scale, which would measure the person's weight as the force they exert on the scale.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This was a bonus question on my astronomy homework, but my knowledge of basic physics is so incredibly limited that I am really struggling with it. It's bugging me because I'd just really like to know how this works.

"Given that Jupiter has no solid surface, how could you weigh yourself on Jupiter?"

Well, first I calculated acceleration of gravity on Jupiter and I got about 25 meters per second squared.

Then, I thought about riding in an elevator on Earth and I know that if you are accelerating downward, your weight is decreasing. If you are plummeting at 9.8 m/s^2 (Earth's acceleration of gravity) then you should feel no weight all. (I think ..?)
If the elevator starts accelerating back up very fast, your weight is going to increase.

My feeling is that you would need to be accelerating upward (in a special space-craft, maybe)at a certain rate to take a measure of your weight on Jupiter. But I am kinda lost now.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not on a solid surface, you are presumably floating around in Jupiter's atmosphere somewhere. Can you think of a way to stand on a scale while floating around in the air?

My feeling is that you would need to be accelerating upward (in a special space-craft, maybe)at a certain rate to take a measure of your weight on Jupiter. But I am kinda lost now.

Actually, that's a good start! And, after a few minutes of pondering it, I think I understand ambitwistor's suggestion too!

Of course, you would want your "scale", sitting in your "special space-craft" to be motionless itself with respect to Jupiter. Perhaps you could use radar to determine you distance with respect to whatever surface there is (there is, I believe something like a liquid surface, or perhaps just an isocline would do).

In order to be motionless relative to Jupiter, what does your space-craft have to be doing? If you now stand on a scale, what does that scale tell you?

Hello HallsOfIvy and Ambitwistor,

Hmmm... do I need to keep my spaceship at a fixed altitude over the "surface"? Would that do it? In which case I would have to be accelerating enough to fight gravity and hold my altitude steady. Would an upward acceleration of 25 m/s^2 be enough to hold me in place at that altitude? (and can you call it acceleration if you're staying in one place?)
Ambitwistor, were you suggesting that maybe I could hang from a scale instead of standing? (I probably completely misinterpreted that, but I thought I'd give it a shot.)
Thank you both!

Originally posted by Math Is Hard
Hmmm... do I need to keep my spaceship at a fixed altitude over the "surface"?

Yes.

In which case I would have to be accelerating enough to fight gravity and hold my altitude steady. Would an upward acceleration of 25 m/s^2 be enough to hold me in place at that altitude?

You need to pick the altitude, such as the nominal radius of Jupiter, and calculate the gravitational acceleration at that altitude.

Of course, if you did that, you could just calculate your weight, too. In practice, you'd have to adjust your hovering to be relatively motionless with respect to the atmosphere -- you can do that by measuring airspeed velocity or something, without calculating -- and then step on a scale.

(and can you call it acceleration if you're staying in one place?)

It's not acceleration relative to the planet, but it is proper acceleration (it will show up on a scale).

Ambitwistor, were you suggesting that maybe I could hang from a scale instead of standing?

Not quite, but that could work, if you did it right.

1. How much would I weigh on Jupiter?

On Jupiter, you would weigh approximately 2.5 times your weight on Earth. This is due to Jupiter's strong gravitational pull, which is about 2.5 times stronger than Earth's.

2. Why is my weight different on Jupiter?

Your weight on Jupiter is different because the planet has a much larger mass and stronger gravitational force compared to Earth. This means that objects, including humans, are pulled towards the surface with more force and therefore weigh more.

3. Would my weight on Jupiter be the same everywhere on the planet?

No, your weight on Jupiter would vary depending on your location on the planet. Jupiter's mass is not evenly distributed, so there are variations in gravitational pull at different points on the surface.

4. How does Jupiter's gravity affect my body?

The strong gravity on Jupiter can have a significant impact on the human body. It can cause muscles and bones to weaken due to the constant strain, and it can also affect blood circulation and other bodily functions.

5. Can I weigh myself on Jupiter?

No, it is not possible to weigh yourself on Jupiter as it is a gas giant and does not have a solid surface to stand on. Also, the intense atmospheric pressure and extreme temperatures would make it impossible for humans to survive on Jupiter.