Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies

In summary, the reaction p→n+e++νe is common inside the nucleus but not considered for free particles due to the mass-energy issue. However, if a high energy proton with a total energy of 2 GeV or 100 GeV is considered, this reaction may be possible as energy and momentum can be conserved. However, it is not possible for a single isolated proton to undergo this reaction, as its rest frame energy is equal to its rest mass and it cannot decay at rest.
goyalvishal4
The reaction p→n+e+e is common inside nucleus.
But it not considered when we talk about free particle and reason is simply given mass of products being larger than reactants.
Now my question is if there is a high energy proton having total energy in order of 2 GeV or let it to be 100 GeV (To even account mass of intermediate W boson) then mass-energy issue should not be in picture. Will then this reaction be possible for proton as free particle.
What I think is technically it should be possible as energy and momentum be conserved and all quantum numbers conserved to the extent as inside nucleus.
Am I missing something??

If conversion being possible at 100GeV and not at 2 GeV then also suggest how it happens inside nucleus as inside nucleus 100GeV is not possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
goyalvishal4 said:
But it not considered when we talk about free particle and reason is simply given mass of products being larger than reactants.
Now my question is if there is a high energy proton having total energy in order of 2 GeV or let it to be 100 GeV (To even account mass of intermediate W boson) then mass-energy issue should not be in picture. Will then this reaction be possible for proton as free particle.
What I think is technically it should be possible as energy and momentum be conserved and all quantum numbers conserved to the extent as inside nucleus.
Am I missing something??

No, you can't do that while conserving energy and momentum. Since part of kinetic energy would need to turn into additional rest mass, momentum will have to decrease (i.e. it won't be conserved).

A simpler way to see it is to change to a coordinate system where your free proton is stationary. A stationary proton can't decay purely by conservation of energy; thus any moving free proton can't do that either.

Likes goyalvishal4
goyalvishal4 said:
Am I missing something??

If conversion being possible at 100GeV and not at 2 GeV then also suggest how it happens inside nucleus as inside nucleus 100GeV is not possible.

That is not true for a single isolated proton. An isolated proton will always have at its rest frame energy equal to its rest mass, so at its rest frame it won't be able to decay. Since decaying or not is not frame-dependent, the proton beta decay cannot occur for an isolated proton (seeing proton as a single particle and not a composite one).

Likes goyalvishal4

Related to Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies

What is "Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies"?

"Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies" refers to the process in which a proton, a positively-charged subatomic particle, is converted into a neutron, a neutral subatomic particle, at high energies. This conversion is a result of interactions between the proton and other particles or fields.

Why is "Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies" important to study?

Studying "Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies" is important because it helps us better understand the behavior of subatomic particles, which are the building blocks of matter. This knowledge can also have practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and particle accelerators.

What are relativistic energies?

Relativistic energies refer to energies that are high enough to cause significant effects on the speed and behavior of subatomic particles. These energies are typically achieved in particle accelerators and are important in studying the fundamental properties of matter.

How does proton to neutron conversion occur at relativistic energies?

Proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies can occur through different processes such as the decay of a high-energy particle or the collision of a high-energy particle with a nucleus. These interactions can result in the conversion of a proton into a neutron, often accompanied by the release of other particles and energy.

What are the potential applications of understanding proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies?

Understanding proton to neutron conversion at relativistic energies can have various applications, such as in developing more efficient nuclear reactors, studying the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, and advancing our knowledge of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe.