Proton opposite directions available energy when collide

In summary, when two beams of protons collide, momentum must be conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. The minimum amount of energy that must go into kinetic energy for momentum to be conserved is twice the kinetic energy of one proton. The available energy Ea when these beams collide is 221.2 GeV.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Consider two beams of protons, moving in opposite directions, each with energy 110 GeV. What is the available energy Ea when these beams collide?

Homework Equations

Ea = [tex]\sqrt{2mc^2*E_m}[/tex]
Ea2 = 2mc2(Em + mc2)
Ea2 = 2Mc2Em + (Mc2)2 + (mc2)2
p = m/v
E = p2/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm given this hint:
"In all particle collisions, momentum must be conserved. This is the reason that the available energy in collisions with a stationary target is less than the total energy of the collision: some of the energy must go into kinetic energy for the product to conserve momentum. If two beams of identical protons collide head-on, what is the total momentum of a pair of protons just before the collision? What is the minimum amount of energy that must go into kinetic energy to have the same total momentum after the collision?"

So the total momentum is just m/v, right? And I'm given energy, so I can find v from KE = 0.5mv2 and plug it into momentum, giving me 3.64E-37 kg*m/s. Is it correct to do it like that? Then it asks for the energy, so I used E = p2/m = 2.27E-9 GeV but that did not give me the correct answer. I also tried using all three of the available energy equations above but none worked. How do I use the momentum hint?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. You are on the right track in considering the conservation of momentum in this collision. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, the total momentum of a pair of protons just before the collision would be the sum of the individual momenta of each proton. In this case, since both protons have the same mass and are moving in opposite directions, the total momentum would be zero.

Next, you are correct in using the equation KE = 0.5mv2 to find the velocity of each proton. However, since the protons are moving in opposite directions, the total kinetic energy of the system would be the sum of the kinetic energies of each proton. So the minimum amount of energy that must go into kinetic energy to conserve momentum would be twice the kinetic energy of one proton, or 221 GeV.

Finally, to find the available energy Ea when the beams collide, you can use the equation Ea = \sqrt{2mc^2*E_m}. Plugging in the values of m (proton mass), c (speed of light), and E_m (kinetic energy of one proton), you should get a value of approximately 221.2 GeV. This is the maximum amount of energy available for the collision.

I hope this helps clarify things! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Proton opposite directions available energy when collide

What is the concept of "Proton opposite directions available energy when collide"?

The concept refers to the collision of two protons, which are positively charged particles, in opposite directions at high energies. This phenomenon occurs in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, where protons are accelerated to nearly the speed of light and then collided with each other.

Why is it important to study the energy released when protons collide in opposite directions?

Studying the energy released during these collisions helps scientists better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them. It also allows them to test and verify theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, and search for new particles or phenomena.

What happens to the protons after they collide in opposite directions?

After the collision, the protons break apart into smaller subatomic particles, which are then measured and analyzed by detectors. These particles can provide valuable information about the energy and dynamics of the collision, as well as any new particles or interactions that may have occurred.

How do scientists control the direction and energy of protons in these collisions?

Scientists use powerful magnets and electric fields to steer and accelerate the protons in the desired direction and energy. These magnets and fields are carefully calibrated and monitored to ensure precise and controlled collisions.

What are the potential applications of studying proton collisions in opposite directions?

Studying proton collisions can have various applications, such as advancing our understanding of the universe and its origins, developing new technologies, and potentially leading to breakthroughs in fields such as medicine and energy. It also has practical applications in improving the performance and safety of particle accelerators and other high-energy machines.