Proton electricity Possibly alternative power source?

In summary, the article mentioned positive current, which is an alternative power source that does not involve burning hydrogen. There is research into this idea, but it is still in the early stages.
derekmohammed
Hi,
The other day I was reading and the article I was reading mentioned positive current AKA proton current. ( Can't remember if it was a periodical or Quantum mechanics book...)

Would this be the same as normal electron current? How would you create a potential diffrence if not the same way...? Since this would be an isotope of Hydrogen could it be a possible alternative power source? (not burning the hyrogen but making an appliance or power grid using positive current). And finnaly is there any research regarding this or applications?

Or Am I just plain wrong about the idea? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how that would work. Electrons are very promiscuous particles, leaping from atom to atom without any sense of loyalty or self respect. Protons, however, are very puritanical and extremely monogamous. Tawdry acts such as nucleus swapping parties generally are not tolerated without severe consequences.

Most batteries (and fuel cells) already do this or something similar: while electrons flow through the wire, protons (or other positive ions) travel around inside the battery (through a membrane, dissolving or coming out of solution, etc.) - but since it involves moving entire atoms, it won't work for anything other than the inside of a storage device.

Since the proton is roughly 1800 times more massive than the electron, yet carries the same charge, it would be far less efficient to push around protons. Of course, if you attempt to push protons in one direction, you'll also encourage electrons to go the other; since electrons are much less massive, you'd have a hard time keeping them put.

Another kind of "positive current" exists in semiconductors. This positive current does not involve the motion of protons; instead, it involves the motion of "holes" amid a sea of electrons. It turns out that a hole in an electron sea behaves very much like a real positive particle, but without the burden of the proton's mass. In a semiconductor, hole current and electron current are both equally viable methods of conveying charge.

- Warren

Well the mobility of electrons is inversely proportional to mass...not sure about protons, but I imagine they follow the same rule, as given by the free electron model:

[tex]\mu_e = \frac {e \tau} {m_e}[/tex]

So you can see, if the mass is higher, the mobility is reduced.

And the related conductivity:
[tex]\sigma = n e \mu_e[/tex]

Although come to think of it, protons are +ve charge, and in your typical situation bound within a massive nucleus. So the problem is far more complex. And the mobility of the protons will be very very small.

In the majority of situations, protons are part of a nucleus, which is part of a crystal, and therefore they have fixed lattice points.

Well, it could also be a positron current. This is a relatively new emerging application. Talk about a table-top source has made some news. I'm interested if anyone knows about their commercial availability.

Chronos said:
I have no idea how that would work. Electrons are very promiscuous particles, leaping from atom to atom without any sense of loyalty or self respect. Protons, however, are very puritanical and extremely monogamous. Tawdry acts such as nucleus swapping parties generally are not tolerated without severe consequences.

Chronos...just a question. Are you in particle physics, and for how long have you been working in the field? Have you seen a psychiatrist about your tendency to anthropomorphize subatomic particles and accuse them of debauchery?

:-p :smile: :biggrin:

cepheid said:
Chronos...just a question. Are you in particle physics, and for how long have you been working in the field? Have you seen a psychiatrist about your tendency to anthropomorphize subatomic particles and accuse them of debauchery?

:-p :smile: :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm wondering if he went to the pet sematary with flowers when Schrödinger killed his cat ? :-p

Related to Proton electricity Possibly alternative power source?

1. What is proton electricity?

Proton electricity refers to the flow of electrically charged protons, which are subatomic particles that make up the nucleus of an atom. This flow of protons can be harnessed as a source of electric energy.

2. How is proton electricity different from traditional electricity?

Traditional electricity is generated by the movement of electrons, while proton electricity is generated by the movement of protons. Additionally, proton electricity is a form of direct current (DC) while traditional electricity is usually alternating current (AC).

3. Can proton electricity be used as an alternative power source?

Yes, proton electricity has been researched and tested as a potential alternative power source. Proton exchange membrane fuel cells are one example of a technology that utilizes proton electricity as a clean and efficient energy source.

4. What are the advantages of using proton electricity as an alternative power source?

Proton electricity has several advantages as an alternative power source. It is a clean and renewable energy source, produces no greenhouse gas emissions, and has a high energy density, meaning it can provide a lot of energy in a small amount of space.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using proton electricity as an alternative power source?

One of the main challenges with using proton electricity as an alternative power source is the high cost of developing and implementing the necessary technology. Additionally, there are still technological and logistical challenges to overcome, such as finding efficient ways to store and transport proton energy.