Proton and carbon collision

In summary, a proton with mass m collides elastically with a stationary carbon nucleus with mass 12×m, with an initial velocity of 790 m/s in the positive x direction. The velocity of the center of mass of the system can be found using the equation V = (m1v1 + m2v2)/(m1 + m2) and is equal to 60.8 m/s in the positive x direction.
envscigrl
A proton of mass m undergoes a head-on elastic collision with a stationary carbon nucleus of mass 12×m. The initial velocity of the proton is 790 m/s in the positive x direction. Find the velocity of the center of mass of the system.

I am really confused as to how to find the 'velocity of the center of mass'. I thought using the equation Mv = mv1 + mv2 would work but nope it surely didnt. I am not sure if I am missing an equation or what but I can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks for your help and time!

Physics news on Phys.org
envscigrl said:
A proton of mass m undergoes a head-on elastic collision with a stationary carbon nucleus of mass 12×m. The initial velocity of the proton is 790 m/s in the positive x direction. Find the velocity of the center of mass of the system.

I am really confused as to how to find the 'velocity of the center of mass'. I thought using the equation Mv = mv1 + mv2 would work but nope it surely didnt. I am not sure if I am missing an equation or what but I can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks for your help and time!

I do not see any problem with that equation.
V = (m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2) = (790*m+0*12m)/(13m) = 60.8 m/s in the positive x direction is really the velocity of the center of mass.

ehild

The velocity of the center of mass of a system can be calculated using the equation Mv = mv1 + mv2, where M is the total mass of the system, v is the velocity of the center of mass, m1 and m2 are the masses of the individual particles, and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities. In this case, the total mass of the system is M = m + 12m = 13m.

We know the initial velocity of the proton, v1 = 790 m/s in the positive x direction. Since the carbon nucleus is stationary, v2 = 0. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

13m * v = m * 790 m/s + 12m * 0
13m * v = 790m * s
v = 790 m/s

Therefore, the velocity of the center of mass of the system is 790 m/s in the positive x direction. This makes sense intuitively, as the proton is much lighter than the carbon nucleus, so the center of mass will be closer to the proton and will have a higher velocity in the same direction as the initial velocity of the proton.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of center of mass and how to calculate its velocity in a two-particle system. It's important to remember that the center of mass is a point that represents the overall motion of the system, and its velocity is the average velocity of all the particles in the system.

Related to Proton and carbon collision

1. What is a proton and carbon collision?

A proton and carbon collision is a type of particle collision that occurs when a proton, a positively charged subatomic particle, comes into contact with a carbon atom, a fundamental element found in all living organisms and many non-living substances.

2. Why do protons and carbon collide?

Protons and carbon collide as a result of experiments conducted in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to nearly the speed of light and collide with one another to study the fundamental properties of matter.

3. What happens during a proton and carbon collision?

During a proton and carbon collision, the high-speed proton smashes into the carbon atom, causing a burst of energy and the creation of new particles. These collisions allow scientists to study the structure and behavior of subatomic particles.

4. What is the significance of studying proton and carbon collisions?

Studying proton and carbon collisions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental structure of matter and the laws of physics. It can also help us understand the origins of the universe and potentially lead to advancements in technology and energy production.

5. Are there any risks associated with proton and carbon collisions?

While there are inherent risks involved in conducting particle collisions, scientists take extensive precautions to ensure the safety of both the experiment and the surrounding environment. Any potential risks are carefully evaluated and mitigated before conducting experiments.