Protect Your Amplifier Modules with RF Pre-Amp Protection

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of protecting Mini-Circuits amplifier modules (ZFL-1000LN+) from getting blown by a nearby HAM radio operator. The speaker suggests using anti-parallel fast switching diodes or other protection circuits available from Mini-Circuits. They also suggest checking the power supply, decoupling, and RF choke. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the frequency and band of the amplifier and the interference from the HAM radio. It is also suggested to keep a log of the times of interference to determine the cause.
dnyberg2
I have these great Mini-Circuits amplifier modules (ZFL-1000LN+) I use all the time that keep getting blown by a nearby HAM radio operator. Can I protect the input to this module by soldering two anti-parallel fast switching diodes from the input connection to ground?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I doubt that you are frying this thing from a nearby ham. You realize that hams would use this sort of device on their own receivers which would have to take much more when it is next to the transmitter than in your situation. Unless you are the ham, you are not closer than that. It takes over 2 milliwatts to do it according to specs. You sure it isn't ESD or something? What's the application? Diodes right out on an antenna is a bad idea concerning generating more interference.

Likes davenn and berkeman
dnyberg2 said:
I have these great Mini-Circuits amplifier modules (ZFL-1000LN+) I use all the time that keep getting blown by a nearby HAM radio operator. Can I protect the input to this module by soldering two anti-parallel fast switching diodes from the input connection to ground?
What frequencies are you using in your setup? What is connected to the input and output of your amp? Do you know what band the HAM is transmitting on, and what power they are transmitting?

You could always put a good RF choke in your power supply lead and/or your signal input.
Good decoupling on your power rails could also help.
I you know who he/she is, you could tell him he's almost certainly breaking the regs.

sophiecentaur said:
You could always put a good RF choke in your power supply lead and/or your signal input.
Good decoupling on your power rails could also help.
I you know who he/she is, you could tell him he's almost certainly breaking the regs.
By what evidence? All we know is there is a ham in the neighborhood, and some guy has mixers amplifiers failing.

Last edited:
That's a far too reasonable atitude! :wink: Why not sow a bit of discord when the opportunity arises?
Of course, the 'interference' would not be continuous from a Ham - just in bursts :"CQ DX CQ DX!" and the like.
A log of the times of interference would soon prove or disprove the theory.

sophiecentaur said:
That's a far too reasonable atitude! :wink: Why not sow a bit of discord when the opportunity arises?
Of course, the 'interference' would not be continuous from a Ham - just in bursts :"CQ DX CQ DX!" and the like.
A log of the times of interference would soon prove or disprove the theory.
Correct! We don't know what band this amp is working in nor do we know if there is any selectivity ahead of it. I.E., an antenna that is tuned to the proper band. Hard to believe front end overload would fry an amp with this spec.

If that happened to me, I'd put it down to 'cock up rather than conspiracy'.
'Frying' a component sounds like wiring it up wrong. That's always a possibility (with me, at least).

Likes davenn

Related to Protect Your Amplifier Modules with RF Pre-Amp Protection

1. What is the purpose of RF pre-amp protection?

The purpose of RF pre-amp protection is to prevent damage to amplifier modules from high power signals or other sources of interference. This protection helps to preserve the lifespan and performance of the amplifier, ensuring reliable operation.

2. How does RF pre-amp protection work?

RF pre-amp protection typically uses a combination of filters, limiters, and switches to protect the amplifier from high power signals. The filters block out unwanted frequencies, the limiters control the input power to a safe level, and the switches can disconnect the amplifier in case of a fault.

3. What are the common sources of interference that can damage amplifier modules?

The most common sources of interference that can damage amplifier modules include high power signals from other transmitters, lightning strikes, electrostatic discharge, and power surges. These sources can cause excessive voltage or current to flow through the amplifier, leading to damage.

4. Do all amplifiers need RF pre-amp protection?

No, not all amplifiers need RF pre-amp protection. Amplifiers that operate at low power levels or in controlled environments may not require this protection. However, for high power amplifiers or those operating in harsh environments, RF pre-amp protection is highly recommended to prevent damage and ensure reliable operation.

5. How can I choose the right RF pre-amp protection for my amplifier?

Choosing the right RF pre-amp protection for your amplifier depends on various factors such as the power level, frequency range, and environmental conditions. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine the appropriate protection for your specific amplifier model.