What is the Solution to Euler's Constant Riddle?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution in solving mathematical problems, particularly in finding the value of Euler's Constant. The substitution of ln(n + 1/2) in place of ln(n) allows for a more rapid convergence of the limit expression, and this leads to the representation of Euler's Constant as the difference between two infinite series. This method has not been seen before and can be used to approximate the value of Euler's Constant with high accuracy. The conversation also mentions other interesting mathematical discoveries and the use of mathematical software in calculations.
Tyger
In Mathematics a little substitution can work wonders. I'm going to show you how to solve a 150 year old riddle by using a little substitution.

Euler's Constant (Euler-Macheroni Constant), represented by γ value .5772156649 has left mathematicians with two perplexing questions. Can it be represented as the sum of a series, and is it an irrational or transcendental number?

Normally γ is represented as the limit of this expression:

(a) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 ... +1/n − ln(n)

however note that if we replace ln(n) with ln(n + 1/2)

the limiting value is approaced much more quickly. In fact any other substitution e.g. 2/5 or 3/5 doesn't approach the limit as rapidly. This turns out to have crucial significance for finding the answer for it allows us to change (a) so that each term in the harmonic series corresponds to a term in another series. This will result in γ being represented as the difference between an infinite series and an infinite array, which answers our first question. Here is how each term appears:

(b) 1/n − ln(n + 1/2) + ln(n −1/2) which equals

(c) 1/n − ln{(n −1/2)/(n + 1/2)}

using the standard series for ln(x/y) which is

(d) 2Σ {1/(2m + 1)}[(x − y)/(x + y)]^2m + 1, for m = 0 and up.

Substituting for x and y and including the harmonic series term

(e) 1/n − 2Σ{1/(2m + 1)}(1/2n)^2m + 1

but note that the harmonic series term and the first term of the logarithmic series cancel. Also for n = 0 we have to add ln(2) so our final expression for the value of γ is
Σ
(f) ln(2) − 2ΣΣ {1/(2m + 1)}(1/2n)^2m + 1 for m =1 and up and n = 1 and up.

Despite the fact that the array is two dimensional it converges rapidly. I haven't bothered to try to prove if it is irrational or transcendental, the former can be seen to be true almost by inspection, the latter should not be difficult to prove. I'm sure some young able-brained math whiz will have no trouble with it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
the former can be seen to be true almost by inspection

If you can see things like this by inspection, then you stand to become a very rich mathematician.

What I want to know is, does that final formula converge to .5772156649 (at ten place accuracy). Anybody got some math software that will do the sums?

As I said

the array converges very rapidly so that a few minutes with a pocket calculator will get good accuracy. Also each row of the array is a logarithmic expression minus the harmonic term, so it can be summed row by row. It's also possible to appproximate the remainder of the array. These are all methods that were used before they had math programs.

In any case barring some clerical error on my part, it does give the correct value for Euler's Constant.

Brad, that is a very good link

but no I didn't see either formula there, the assymtotic form with n+1/2 or the series and array derived from it. I am convinced that this is new. Still amazing how many ways of deriving it without quite hitting the jackpot, so to speak. I actually found it quite a few years ago and am surprized that no one else seems to have. But it isn't very obvious, it required that I recognize that there was special significance to the rapidity with which assymtote converged.

That's cool stuff. Sort of like my new 'e' equation, but I won't put it here. I'll publish it in about 2-4 years once I get a degree and I can get a formal proof.

1. What is Euler's Constant Solution?

Euler's Constant Solution, also known as the Euler-Mascheroni Constant, is a mathematical constant denoted by the symbol γ. It is approximately equal to 0.5772156649 and is defined as the limit of the difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm function.

2. Who discovered Euler's Constant Solution?

Leonhard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, is credited with the discovery of Euler's Constant Solution in the 18th century. However, it was later named after the Italian mathematician Lorenzo Mascheroni who independently discovered it in the 18th century as well.

3. What are some applications of Euler's Constant Solution?

Euler's Constant Solution has many applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in the analysis of various functions, in the calculation of prime number distribution, and in the study of the Riemann zeta function.

4. How is Euler's Constant Solution calculated?

Euler's Constant Solution is an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal. It is usually calculated using numerical methods or infinite series, such as the Euler-Mascheroni series. The value of Euler's Constant Solution has been calculated to over 100 billion decimal places.

5. Why is Euler's Constant Solution important?

Euler's Constant Solution is an important mathematical constant that appears in many areas of mathematics and science. It has deep connections to other mathematical concepts and has been studied extensively by mathematicians. It also has practical applications in various fields, making it an essential constant to understand in mathematics.