Proportions and Equations: Can You Prove a Ratio with this Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jewel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving fractions and proving an equation using substitution and manipulation. The solution involves starting with the given equations and using them to find an expression for each variable in terms of a constant, then manipulating those expressions to prove the desired equation. The person seeking help was able to solve the problem with the assistance of the expert's advice.
jewel
if

x/(b+c-a)=y/(c+a-b)=z/(a+b-c)

prove that..

x(by+cz-ax)=y(cz+ax-by)=z(ax+by-cz)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: hi i am stuck up with this numerical of fraction

Can you show us what you have tried?

Showing your work allows our helpers to see where you are stuck and what mistake(s) you may be making, so that they can offer suggestions to get you going again.

Re: hi i am stuck up with this numerical of fraction

MarkFL said:
Can you show us what you have tried?

Showing your work allows our helpers to see where you are stuck and what mistake(s) you may be making, so that they can offer suggestions to get you going again.

i am stuck in the initial stage itself not getting how will i proceed ...:confused :confused:

jewel said:
if

x/(b+c-a)=y/(c+a-b)=z/(a+b-c)

prove that..

x(by+cz-ax)=y(cz+ax-by)=z(ax+by-cz)
Let \(\displaystyle \frac x{b+c-a} = \frac y{c+a-b} = \frac z{a+b-c} = \lambda.\) First show that $x+y+z = \lambda(a+b+c).$ Then see if you can find an expression for $ax$ in terms of $x,y,z$ and $\lambda$. Do the same for $by$ and $cx$. Then you will be able to see if $x(by+cz-ax)$ is the same as $y(cz+ax-by)$ and $z(ax+by-cz)$.

Opalg said:
Let \(\displaystyle \frac x{b+c-a} = \frac y{c+a-b} = \frac z{a+b-c} = \lambda.\) First show that $x+y+z = \lambda(a+b+c).$ Then see if you can find an expression for $ax$ in terms of $x,y,z$ and $\lambda$. Do the same for $by$ and $cx$. Then you will be able to see if $x(by+cz-ax)$ is the same as $y(cz+ax-by)$ and $z(ax+by-cz)$.
thanks for advice... i will try that way and see

jewel said:
thanks for advice... i will try that way and see

i tried...its not working out.i am unable to solve .please help (Worried)

There are probably several ways to attack this problem. The method I used was to start with \(\displaystyle \frac x{b+c-a} = \frac y{c+a-b} = \frac z{a+b-c} = \lambda.\) Then $$x = \lambda(b+c-a),$$ $$y = \lambda(c+a-b),$$ $$z = \lambda(a+b-c).$$ Add those equations to get $x+y+z = \lambda(a+b+c)$. Now subtract the first of those three displayed equations, giving $y+z = 2\lambda a$. Next, multiply that by $x$: $$xy+xz = 2\lambda ax.$$ In a similar way, $$yx + yz = 2\lambda by,$$ $$zx+zy = 2\lambda cz.$$ At this stage, take a look at what you are trying to prove, and see if you can get there.

Opalg said:
There are probably several ways to attack this problem. The method I used was to start with \(\displaystyle \frac x{b+c-a} = \frac y{c+a-b} = \frac z{a+b-c} = \lambda.\) Then $$x = \lambda(b+c-a),$$ $$y = \lambda(c+a-b),$$ $$z = \lambda(a+b-c).$$ Add those equations to get $x+y+z = \lambda(a+b+c)$. Now subtract the first of those three displayed equations, giving $y+z = 2\lambda a$. Next, multiply that by $x$: $$xy+xz = 2\lambda ax.$$ In a similar way, $$yx + yz = 2\lambda by,$$ $$zx+zy = 2\lambda cz.$$ At this stage, take a look at what you are trying to prove, and see if you can get there.
thanks a lot ... i got it ...:)

jewel said:
thanks a lot ... i got it ...:)

I removed the question you tagged on, as it was posted word for word (including the attempt) by another user, and the new topic can be found here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/continued-proportion-problem-7531.html

Related to Proportions and Equations: Can You Prove a Ratio with this Equation?

What is the definition of a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison between two quantities that have the same units. It is expressed in the form of a fraction, where the numerator represents the first quantity and the denominator represents the second quantity.

How do you prove a ratio given an equation?

To prove a ratio given an equation, you need to manipulate the equation algebraically until it is in the form of a ratio. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by a common factor or by multiplying both sides by the same number.

What are the different types of ratios?

There are four types of ratios: part-to-part, part-to-whole, whole-to-part, and whole-to-whole. Part-to-part ratios compare different parts of a whole, while part-to-whole ratios compare a part to the whole. Whole-to-part ratios compare the whole to a part, and whole-to-whole ratios compare two different wholes.

Can a ratio be simplified?

Yes, a ratio can be simplified by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. This will result in an equivalent ratio that is easier to work with. However, it is important to note that ratios should only be simplified if necessary, as they may be needed in their original form for further calculations.

How is a ratio used in real life?

Ratios are used in many real-life situations, such as in cooking, financial planning, and sports. In cooking, ratios are used to determine the correct proportions of ingredients in a recipe. In financial planning, ratios are used to analyze the financial health of a company. In sports, ratios are used to compare statistics of players or teams.