Properties of the Absolute Value

In summary: Hi there! I'm not sure if you've found a proof for this yet, but here's one way to prove it: In summary, the property of the absolute value stating that |ab| = |a||b| can be proven using the definitions of the absolute value and breaking it into different cases based on the signs of a and b. Another way to prove it is by using complex numbers, where |ab| is equal to the product of the absolute values of a and b, and |a+b| is less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values of a and b.
roam
Just wanted to say hi before I start my post! :smile:

As you may know there is a property of the absolute value that states; for [tex]a, b \in R[/tex];

[tex]|ab| = |a||b|[/tex]

Well, my friend asked me if I knew a proof for this... but I don't know...
How can we prove this statement/property? I know there is a proof for the triangle inequality but for this I really don't know but I'm curious.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could show me any kind of proof or send me some links etc. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You prove that |ab|= |a||b| the same way you prove any such elementary statement: use the definitions.

The simplest definition of |x| (there are several equivalent definitions) is that |x|= x if x is positive or 0, -x if x is negative.

Now break it into "cases":

case 1: x and y are both positive: |x|= x and |y|= y. xy is also positive so |xy|= xy= |x||y|.

case 2: x is positive while y is negative: |x|= x and |y|= -y. xy is negative so |xy|= -xy= x(-y)= |x||y|.

case 3: x is negative while y is positive: |x|= -x and |y|= y. xy is negative so |xy|= -xy= (-x)y= |x||y|.

case 4: x and y are both negative: |x|= -x and |y|= -y. xy is positive so |xy|= xy= (-x)(-y)= |x||y|.

case 5: x= 0 and y is positive: |x|= 0 and |y|= y. xy= 0 so |xy|= 0= 0(y)= |x||y|.

case 6: x= 0 and y is negative: |x|= 0 and |y|= -y. xy= 0 so |xy|= 0= (0)(-y)= |x||y|.

case 7: x is positive and y is 0: |x|= x and |y|= 0. xy= 0 so |xy|= 0= x(0)= |x||y|.

case 8: x is negative and y is 0: |x|= -x and |y|= 0. xy= 0 so |xy|= 0 = (-x)(0)= |x||y|.

case 9: both x and y are 0: |x|= 0 and |y|= 0. xy= 0 so |xy|= 0= (0)(0)= |x||y|.

There are simpler ways to prove that but I thought this would be conceptually clearest.

First, we have to understand that the absolute value is a function defined by:

[tex]|x| = \begin{cases}
x & \text{if } x\geq 0 \\
-x & \text{if } x<0
\end{cases}[/tex]

So,

[tex]|ab| = \begin{cases}
ab & \text{if } ab\geq 0 \\
-ab & \text{if } ab<0
\end{cases}[/tex]

Now, let's see what |a||b| is:

[tex]|a||b| = \begin{cases}
ab & \text{if } a\geq 0 \wedge b\geq0 \\
(-a)(-b) & \text{if } a\leq 0 \wedge b\leq0 \\
(-a)b & \text{if } a> 0 \wedge b<0 \\
a(-b) & \text{if } a<0 \wedge b<0
\end{cases} \Leftrightarrow
[/tex]

ab & \text{if } a\geq 0 \wedge b\geq0 \\
ab & \text{if } a\leq 0 \wedge b\leq0 \\
-ab & \text{if } a> 0 \wedge b<0 \\
-ab & \text{if } a<0 \wedge b<0
\end{cases} \Leftrightarrow
[/tex]

Notice that you have ab if a and b have the same sign and that you use -ab otherwise.

Now, if a and b have the same sign, [tex]ab\geq0[/tex]. If they have opposite signs (and are different than zero), [tex]ab<0[/tex].

Using this,

ab & \text{if } ab \geq 0 \\
-ab & \text{if } ab<0
\end{cases} = |ab|
[/tex]

Quod erat demonstrandum :-p

Last edited:
let a = mcis(kpi) where m => 0, k is integer
and b = ncis(hpi) where n => 0, h integer
(clearly a,b are real)

|a||b|= mn
|ab|=|mcis(kpi)*ncis(hpi)| = |mncis[pi(k+h)]| = mn

as required

quark1005 said:
let a = mcis(kpi) where m => 0, k is integer
and b = ncis(hpi) where n => 0, h integer
(clearly a,b are real)

|a||b|= mn
|ab|=|mcis(kpi)*ncis(hpi)| = |mncis[pi(k+h)]| = mn

as required

This would make more sense if you had said that "mcis(hpi)" is
[tex]m (cos(h\pi)+ i sin(h\pi))[/tex]
That is much more an "engineering notation" than mathematics.

If you really want to go to complex numbers, why not
if
[tex]x= r_xe^{i\theta_x}[/tex]
and
[tex]y= r_ye^{i\theta_y}[/tex], then
[tex]|xy|= |r_xe^{i\theta_x}r_ye^{i\theta_y}|= |(r_xr_y)e^{i(\theta_x+\theta_y)}|[/tex]

But for any [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/itex], |z|= r, so
[tex]|xy|= r_x r_y= |x||y|[/tex]

[tex]\Huge |ab|=\sqrt{(ab)^2}=\sqrt{a^2b^2}=\sqrt{a^2}\sqrt{b^2}=|a||b|[/tex]

and

[tex]\large |a+b|=\sqrt{(a+b)^2}=\sqrt{a^2+2ab+b^2}\leq \sqrt{a^2+|2ab|+b^2}=\sqrt{(|a|+|b|)^2}=||a|+|b||[/tex]

where I utilize the following fact:

|2ab|=|2(ab)|=|2||ab|=2|a||b|

-----
À bientôt
?;-D

Related to Properties of the Absolute Value

What is the definition of absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on a number line. It is always positive or zero, regardless of the sign of the number.

How do you calculate the absolute value of a number?

To calculate the absolute value of a number, you simply ignore its sign. So, if the number is positive, the absolute value will be the same. If the number is negative, the absolute value will be the number multiplied by -1.

What are the properties of absolute value?

The properties of absolute value include:

• Absolute value is always positive or zero
  • The absolute value of zero is zero
  • The absolute value of a positive number is the same number
  • The absolute value of a negative number is the number multiplied by -1
  • The absolute value of a sum is less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values

How is absolute value used in real life?

Absolute value is used in real life to represent the magnitude or size of a quantity. For example, it can be used to represent distances, differences, or deviations from a certain value. It is also commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent vectors and their components.

What is the difference between absolute value and modulus?

Absolute value and modulus are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. Absolute value refers to the distance from zero on a number line, while modulus refers to the remainder of a number after it is divided by another number. In other words, modulus can be thought of as the "positive version" of a number, while absolute value is always positive or zero.