Civil/environmental engineering members

In summary, an environmental engineering degree and professional engineer certification will provide you with many opportunities for employment in the environmental field. College programs should be focused on both environmental engineering and environmental sciences to ensure a well-rounded education. Engineering pays more than science, but environmental companies often hire from both fields.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any other civil/environmental engineering members here at PF?

I have a masters degree and "professional engineer" certification in environmental engineering...plus several years working in the field (so to speak). My schoolin' focused on water/wastewater treatment, but my career has focused on hazardous waste cleanups.

Glad to entertain any questions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
education and work

Your job and education sound completely like the career i am attempting to enter. I am a high school student in Canada who wants to take environmental sciences/ forestry/ environmental engineering/ environmental technology. Well you get the picture, I have a great interest in this area but no clue where to begin. I have a few quick questions to ask you. Where did you study? What kind of job opportunities have been available to you and in which part of North America or The World have they been the most prevolent? I would really appreciate a quick reply, but if you have more information to give, please feel free to email me. My address is: captain_planet@rock.com. Thank you for your time!

Welcome to the club! Being in high school, you still have lots of time to decide on the specifics. I recommend finding a college that has good programs for both environmental engineering and environmental sciences. Take classes in both and see which one you prefer more. Switching majors during college is common and the first couple years is mostly filled with general courses anyway. Note that career-wise, engineering tends to pay more than science. But environmental companies certainly hire from both. I went to school in, and now work in the northeast U.S. Note that there are many sub-disciplines within the general categories of environmental engineer/science. For example, under engineering, there is things like water/wastewater treatment, hazardous waste management, air pollution, etc. Try a few and you'll find a niche (your college may focus on a particular type anyway so keep that in mind as you check out college programs). There is certainly a wide variety of careers available too...municipal (e.g., town engineer), utilities (e.g., conducting environmental impact statements for power plants, etc.), consulting (what I do), remediation contractors (companies that actually do cleanups), federal or state regulatory agencies (the folks that enforce environmental laws), quality control/process engineering for manufacturing plants, etc...the list goes on.

As far as availability, I suppose it depends on the region's environmental laws...of which the US and Canada have plenty. (where there's industry and legal requirements to follow...there's work for us) In the US, there the overal federal law (EPA) and then state laws...the state laws vary...some are strict and there tends to be more work there.

As an engineer, I work in a consulting company alongside with scientists...and we do very similar work (although the scientists tend to be the ones who go out to cleanup sites and do the investigations whereas I tend to work in the office and figure out how to solve environmental problems).

thanks

Thank you so much for the advice. It's great to hear from someone who has graduated and been in the workfore for a while. I think the science side is more likely what i'll be interested in, mainly because i want to work in the field, but i will definently take courses from both and explore my options once i get to post-secondary. Thanks again!

What is the role of a civil/environmental engineering member?

A civil/environmental engineering member is responsible for designing, constructing, and maintaining infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water systems. They also work on environmental projects related to water resources, pollution control, and waste management.

What education and skills are required to become a civil/environmental engineering member?

To become a civil/environmental engineering member, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in civil or environmental engineering. Strong mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills are also necessary. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and project management is important.

What types of projects do civil/environmental engineering members work on?

Civil/environmental engineering members work on a variety of projects, including transportation systems, water treatment plants, land development, environmental remediation, and sustainable infrastructure projects. They may also be involved in disaster response and recovery efforts.

What are the biggest challenges faced by civil/environmental engineering members?

One of the biggest challenges for civil/environmental engineering members is balancing the needs of society and the environment with the constraints of time, budget, and resources. They also have to consider the potential impact of their projects on the surrounding communities and ecosystems.

What are some future developments and advancements in the field of civil/environmental engineering?

The field of civil/environmental engineering is constantly evolving with new technologies and techniques being developed. Some future developments may include more sustainable and resilient infrastructure designs, use of renewable energy sources, and implementation of smart city technologies to improve efficiency and functionality of urban areas.